Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I came across a thread (in the Articles section I believe) that had video of most of the major aftermarket exhaust systems.

- Anyone have the link as I cannot seem to find it again!!

I'm trying to decide between the catback systems from:
1) Tubi
2) AWE
3) Fabspeed (though I've heard that this is a bit loud so the choice now is between #1 or #2)

Maybe I'll just flip a coin heads= Tubi and tails=AWE?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Do not Know the thread,but i do have Tubi and love it.Makes the car sound almost F1 like...Kinda loud under acceleration and some drone around 2500-3000 rpm.I personally like the noise,some do not...Good luck Mike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
Thanks for the input. I think that I'm leaning towards the Tubi. I don't mind noise under hard acceleration and a bit of an increase under "normal" driving situations. (I'm trying to avoid making the car overly loud in ALL situations and turning it into the Porsche equivalent of a civic with a coffee can exhaust!)

Basically looking for a system that will sound similar to the Porsche Sports Exhaust but maybe turned half a notch on the volume. I'd simply go with the sports exhaust if it wasnt so expensive!

Just sold our Donzi (V8 with fully open exhausts) so I could use a bit of noise in my life! :crazy:
Jedd

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Choosing an after market exhaust system is a highly subjective endeavor. The best advice I ever got was to listen to the system you want to buy actually installed in a Cayman.

I would go further. Drive a Cayman with the system you are thinking of buying. The way you drive and the frequencies you are sensitive to have a major effect on how you preceive the sound and sense the power gain. Also, the system must be at operating temperature since it does sound different when cold.

I know it will be difficult to find a car with the exhaust you are interested in and even more difficult to find one you can drive, but it is worth the effort unless you are willing to throw the money away a few times until you find something you like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good advice!

Anyone in the Bethesda/Rockville, MD (DC) area with a CS and a Tubi or AWE?

One of the shops in the my area had a 911 with the Tubi that they said I could drop by and listen to but figured it would be an apples/oranges comp.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Had a Fabspeed, but Gen II fitment and leak issues made me switch to FVD Brombacher (the louder, but relatively tame, sound version). LOVE IT!!!
:dance:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had milltek on my gen1 tiptronic cayman S. sounds more bassy, deeper n solid compared to stock. i went for milltek for my gen1 as it was a tiptronic and was told that tubi does cause some drone between 2.5 to 3k rpm. Milltek definitely gave some hp n torque gain especially when mated with softronic tune and softronic race plenum!
HOwever, on my gen2 cayman S now, i'm leaning towards tubi. Was told that tubi improvised their exhaust system on Gen2. Its less loud and no drone. Apparently, they added a 'mini resonator' on the connecting pipe. Also, i feel at stock, both gen1 and gen2 cayman exhaust note sounds different. Any idea why? Gen2 sounds softer, less bassy at low RPM and only until above 4k rpm, the sound is somewhat a higher pitch sound.
Anyone on Gen2 with tubi care to share their experience?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave, thanks that is exactly the link/file that I was looking for.

Scott, the input on Fabspeed being too loud was based on other peoples input and not my personal experience.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Tubi but go back and forth between that and the AWE (or possibly Fabspeed). From what I've heard and been told the Tubi offers a unique sound. To be honest I'd probably be happy with just about any of the well built systems as my goal is to turn up the volume a bit without going to far!

Nice to see all of the other Cobalt Caymans in the thread responses!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Nice to see all of the other Cobalt Caymans in the thread responses![/QUOTE]

I knew it! i knew it! Those darn Cobalt blue Caymans and there bling bling rims and exhaust systems.......Looks great and i'm sure pretty soon it too will sound great......:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a Fabspeed, but Gen II fitment and leak issues made me switch to FVD Brombacher (the louder, but relatively tame, sound version). LOVE IT!!!
:dance:
+1 I have this same FVD Export (Loud) version on my 2009 Boxster S and it is fantastic. Others also have it on their 987.1 cars and it sounds just as great. It is just what you are looking for - a PSE sound but up a notch with no drone. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
625 Posts
+1 I have this same FVD Export (Loud) version on my 2009 Boxster S and it is fantastic. Others also have it on their 987.1 cars and it sounds just as great. It is just what you are looking for - a PSE sound but up a notch with no drone. You can't go wrong.
Can one of you guys give us a sound clip of the FVD sound version on a gen II car? Do you guys notice any difference in sound from the Gen 1 version?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Dave, thanks that is exactly the link/file that I was looking for.

Scott, the input on Fabspeed being too loud was based on other peoples input and not my personal experience.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Tubi but go back and forth between that and the AWE (or possibly Fabspeed). From what I've heard and been told the Tubi offers a unique sound. To be honest I'd probably be happy with just about any of the well built systems as my goal is to turn up the volume a bit without going to far!

Nice to see all of the other Cobalt Caymans in the thread responses!
We make an exhaust and we are local to you! Guaranteed 140whp increase!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in Northern VA and have the FVD Brombacher 'Sound' catback on my '08 Gen I Cayman S, along with the Softronic Racing Plenum (SRP) & Flash upgrade. I'm glad to try and make my car available for any DC-area locals to check out on weekends when possible. Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.