Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Ok...going back to topic then:

A comparison between Carnewal GT, Fabspeed Race and finally Carnewal GT with Carnewal headers+x-pipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EOQiQ-jfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chSFcf2QwPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXfsWVm-XIs

Things I've learned over the years: the mufflers are very much responsible for the final audible product. And x-pipe in the end does help, crazy as it might sound. I would have never believed it if I hadn't tried it myself. The Fabspeed race with stock headers was waaay louder than Carnewal GT with Carnewal headers. Carnewal headers+exhaust is just a tad louder/deeper than just the Carnewal exhaust on its own. But the power is better with no drone = just the way I wanted it. Far from the loudest setup, but very easy to live with on a daily basis. I might make 3-4 hp more with the Fabspeed race exhaust but it is simply not worth it - the drone is an all-consuming thing and really didn't make the drive very pleasurable in the long run. I think it would have suited a Boxster better, since there is no cabin in the same sense.

side note: I just noticed the first clip is a measly 240p, the middle clip is 1080p whereas the last clip is 4k capable. Things sure do change. The audio quality might not be 100% comparable, but hey - at least it is on the same car. ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
...WHY did it take me soooo long to find this thread?!?!! :)

The 'Rittmeister Exhaust'....custom headers, AWE axel pipes, custom straight pipes, X Pipe & 3.5" tips...need someone brave enough to record me in a tunnel. Volunteers????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qazZFTi0j8

Reactions: graemeiam

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put a Cantrell/Carnewal GT catback with Fabspeed tips on my 2006 Cayman S and thought I would add to the library here. I didn't see any other gen 1 clips for the Cantrell GT and there is quite a bit of difference in sound between a gen 1 and gen 2 system. It is a very livable exhaust from inside the car, but definitely has a snarl at the back and with the window down at WOT.

Cantrell GT Exhaust Mod - 987.1 Version
CantrellGTexhaust-unpackaged.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I've learned after exhaustive testing (no pun intended) is that it's not the sound OUTSIDE the car that's important.

It's the sound INSIDE that matters, preferable with the windows shut.

I'd like to hear some recordings from that aspect and then we get a true representation of what an exhaust sounds like for the driver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My video sample of the Cantrell/Carnewal GT Exhaust includes footage from the interior with the windows up. Quite civil. Once you role the windows down you hear the rasp, burble and roar. But with windows up no real drone, at least no more than with standard factory system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My video sample of the Cantrell/Carnewal GT Exhaust includes footage from the interior with the windows up. Quite civil. Once you role the windows down you hear the rasp, burble and roar. But with windows up no real drone, at least no more than with standard factory system.
That's a well shot and recorded clip.

Care to share what recording equipment you used and where you placed the camera?

I have done the same thing today (to show you mine) with it placed as close to my ears as possible and I got far too much induction/engine/gearbox noise/whine, rather than exhaust.

I had a Carnewal GT Exhaust recently, but sold it as it sounded nothing like the one you've recorded.

Cheers, Kim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, I did the best I could with what I had.

For the external audio only recording I mounted a TASCAM DR-07 MKII PCM Digital Audio Recorder to my rear bumper, just behind the rear spoiler and pointed down to get the dual mics out of the airflow as best possible. I had to set gain way down because it was so close to the exhaust. I also put a wind protector muff over the mics to further cut down on wind noise. Still got some clipping at full revs but this was the best I could do with the equipment I had for audio. The interior clips were recorded on my Nikon D800 DSLR with built-in mic. The camera was mounted in the middle of the cockpit on top of the bulkhead behind the seats at ear level/height.

Hope this helps. I will say that the exhaust goes through some sound quality changes as you put some miles on it. More burble and softer rasp with slightly louder WOT sound with miles on it. Sometimes at idle or just off idle it can sound like a muffler that's going bad rather than a tuned exhaust. But under throttle I'm still enjoying after 4 mos. and 5K miles of driving. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tascam on the rear bumper - brave man. Sounds great though.

I'm still surprised that the D800 didn't pick up more engine/gearbox noise mounted the way you did it. I'll give it another try tomorrow with a Tascam on there and see if that's better. In-camera mics tend to pick up all the bad stuff but yours didn't seem to.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey fellas, I recently got a GOPRO setup and I figured it would be a good a idea to record a little onboard video with an external mic hooked up to showcase the Borla XR1 exhaust.Let me know what you think.

I forgot how to embed the vid so here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXpC7a14SU&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
2 Posts
How loud would you say it is compared to stock? I saw some 986 Boxster guys complaining it was too loud. Any drone? Where did you pick it up from?
Its very loud compared to stock, however, it only gets "out of range loud" when you are driving hard. For normal cruising around the city and keeping it below 3k rpm its not loud enough to wake up your neighbors at 2am.

Yes, drone, yes, lol.....just like 99% of the aftermarket catback exhausts, it has drone...mine is between 2300 and 3000 rpm. Its amazing how the drone goes 'almost' away right after 3000 rpm.

bought it from ebay, under $500 CAD (just search for beluga racing 987). My mechanic who installed it said that the buld quality is very good (weld seams, joints, fitment).

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance. I did notice the car is revving easily and feels a tiny bit quicker.

Oh...and those *crackles* when you let go of the throttle :)

161 - 180 of 200 Posts