Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Exhaust Sound Collection

127K views 203 replies 131 participants last post by  Fabspeed Motorsport 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's amazing how many exhaust offerings there are for the Cayman. As many of you know, I recently tested a system and during that test many people were begging for a sound clip video, so I made one. After posting that video to you tube I did a little searching to compare my production to others. That's when I was blown away to learn that there are soooooo many exhuast sound clips on you tube, and many of them featuring Caymans.

I thought it might be a good idea to centralize a collection of Exhaust Sound Clip Videos in one thread. So here goes. First I'd like to list the site sponsors in alphabetic order.

Suggestion: You will get a much more accurate representation if you have external speakers with a sub-woofer. Many systems deliver a rich low frequency rumble. You will never hear this through laptop speakers.

APR
(placeholder - no YouTube video at this time)

AWE

Borla

Capristo

Fabspeed

Milltek

Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)

Remus

See less See more
#5 ·
Gator Bite,

Ken uploaded a video of the AWE exhaust onto the site in .mpg format a long time ago and it's still in the files section (labeled 'stock vs. milltek vs. awe', 3 mpg files zipped); with his permission I could (or you could... or anybody...) upload it to youtube and embed it into this post.

- Suneet

#9 ·
The B&B and APR are going to sound the same, they are the same system. The only thing about this is the quality of the camera that was used. Also the quality of speakers the person is using. Those two factors really determin the sound over the computer I think.

But I love the idea, I have searched and searched for something just like this thread! So thank you for taking the time!

#12 ·
This is a very helpful collection. Thanks Gator Bite!

#16 · (Edited)
I was thinking that the Club should have a CS exhaust shoot out at the next Croctober Fest. Maybe find a club volunteer for as many diff exhaust systems as possible, and then have all of the attending Croctober Fest members vote their choices. It would be a fun event for everyone. And we could also have a couple of willing members do a scored test for resonance or droning for each exhaust as well, as the car is being driven.

#21 ·
Actually already been discussed and in the works. We've been collecting volunteers and we will organize a nice exhaust composium. Exhaust sound and even resonance is highly subjective, so having folks vote on their favorite is likely to be a futile excersize. I am pretty confident that there is a customer for every systems, if that wasn't the case then there wouldn't be so many choices in exhaust.

#24 ·
Glad I checked these!

Thanks, Gator and all contributors, for this!

The idea of having the MSRP (including installation?) would be a nice addition.

Since I'm not planning on taking my new baby to the track, and we have a quiet neighborhood with a sound ordinance, the stock exhaust will do me just fine. The last thing I need is a home owner's assoc complaint when I have to "race" to work in the middle of the night!

#47 ·
I was at Laguna Seca this past Friday with the BMW club, and did not get black-flagged for sound. I drive a 2.7 with the Borla exhaust (along with the Softronic SRP and P3 software), and was first shortshifting to 4th at the exit of 5, but later on used 3rd to redline. My impression is that higher-frequency sound is what they're worried about as people have gotten flagged for intake sounds.

Interestingly, a bone-stock ZR-1 was flagged for sound, while a stock GT3 RS with pipes to redirect the exhaust towards track left, away from the sound booth, did not.

--Andre

#26 ·
Gator i see award number 9 going your way bud, that is an ace idea and i have now pissed off my work collegues with 10 clips of Caymans blasting about.

Although the capristo on K-man-S car doesnt play well over my speakers very raspy.

:cheers::banana::beer::eek::cool::):D

James

#28 ·
Thanks Gator :D

+1 I'd like to see a sticky on this as well.

Gator, since you have the Borla, I notice when its coming down from high revs to idle it makes a kind of light sputtering/buzzing sound, is this normal? just camera mic distortion? The OEM exhaust doesn't seem to do this.
It makes gasping/sucking sound when it's coming down. The camera microphone does seem to exagerate it, but it does make this sound. In person it actually sounds a little mean because it's mixed in with a low frequency rumble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.