Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for "exhaust" in this section and didn't see anyone really discussing, unless I missed it. Anyone taken the plunge yet? I guess some people have as I've seen videos, but can't tell how many of those are just sales pitches.

Would be curious people's actual, unaffiliated impressions.

When I test drove a Cayman S with PSE (and also was standing around someone giving a demo of a GTS), I didn't particularly like the PSE's tone. Was a bit better than stock, but wasn't quite as pleasing to my ear. I heard the PSE on multiple occasions on this car.

However, I was walking down the sidewalk and someone was pulling out of hotel parking lot with a 718 Cayman S; whatever they had (or didn't have?) on it, was definitely not stock or PSE, and dang if it didn't actually sound REALLY good. Not Japanese hot-rodder at all. It really got my attention, but he was too far off for me to get a look to see if the tips may have had indication of what it was.

Now I'm YouTube-ing all the sound clips, but you never really know with these clips.... I kind of like the way AWE presents their sound over say Armytryx or IPE, compared to what I perceived to be a more raw, gravely sound from the Fabspeed... but who the heck knows from these videos.

Anyone with any experiences?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the awe touring. It sounds good, but it did have a bit of drone at 50mph, which was bothersome to me. I also have the Remus, but removed it because I may be going to a GTS

·
Registered
361 Posts
We have the AWE Switchpath on our project car. It works with the Sport Chrono dial on the steering wheel and sounds awesome (for a four cylinder Porsche).

It's not too exciting when the car is cold but once everything heats up and you start driving aggressively it's got some nice burbles and backfires. Not as in your face as the 981 PSE but still a nice upgrade over the stock system

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the awe touring. It sounds good, but it did have a bit of drone at 50mph, which was bothersome to me. I also have the Remus, but removed it because I may be going to a GTS
Thankfully, my commute is short and when I get to drive my car, it's either below 40 or I'm hooning it, so I'm hoping maybe not as likely for me.

Did you like the tone of one over the other? Were either one "too loud"? I want louder than stock, obviously, but I don't want window-shaking loud. I also don't like the farty sound that super wide-open exhausts sometimes have (particularly where the cat is removed)... even on the 981. I heard a 981 S with an Armytryx and pretty sure it had straight pipes... when they got on it, it sound like c__p (IMO). It was just LOUD but not sophisticated at all. Prefer something with a little more... I dunno... tone shaping? I'd heard some clips of the Remus but... again... clips.

I guess same question goes for [email protected] was the AWE in loud mode insanely loud? Maybe not, as you mention not as in your face as a 981 with PSE, a sound that I was rather fond of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I liked it, just the drone bothered me. Some people say the track mixed with the touring sounds best though. May be worth looking into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I liked it, just the drone bothered me. Some people say the track mixed with the touring sounds best though. May be worth looking into.
Ah, You mean like having their AWE track edition and then converting it to the touring using the conversion kit they offer? (Or perhaps mixing with a high flow cat or similar avenue)?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone just done the high flow cat? Pick up hp and sound, but shouldn’t drone at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 718 S with the AWE track exhaust and it’s amazing. I’ve had it for just over 13 months now. I recently unplugged the sound actuator in the rear trunk to see how that would sound, and that eliminated most of the boomy cabin drone that would happen. That loud swelling sound of “loudness” is pretty much all artificially generated. I don’t think the exhaust is too loud either (have done 18,000km with it). I actually want it even louder so I’m thinking of getting new cats or a cat delete.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. First off I’m glad the AWE track is working out. That is what I’m probably going to get. Secondly, this is the first I’m hearing of the artificial sound being pumped in. Man I had that all late model cars are doing this. How does one go about getting rid of the “sound box”. On my old GTI we just pulled the fuse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
<snip>How does one go about getting rid of the “sound box”. On my old GTI we just pulled the fuse.
A quick search here or at 718forum.com for "soundaktor" should provide all the details you need. It's a simple disconnection of a plug, and virtually everyone who has tried it likes the change.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow. First off I’m glad the AWE track is working out. That is what I’m probably going to get. Secondly, this is the first I’m hearing of the artificial sound being pumped in. Man I had that all late model cars are doing this. How does one go about getting rid of the “sound box”. On my old GTI we just pulled the fuse.
Here you go.

Note the 718 GTS does not have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I narrowed it down to the AWE or Fabspeed. The seem very similar with their lack of any mufflers and all. Probably leaning towards the AWE. Any more incite with the Fabspeed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I narrowed it down to the AWE or Fabspeed. The seem very similar with their lack of any mufflers and all. Probably leaning towards the AWE. Any more incite with the Fabspeed?
Well, I ordered the Fabspeed supercup Turbo-back, so hopefully I’m a few weeks I’ll be able to tell you something :)

I’m a little worried it’ll be too loud... but it’s too late to back out now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd like to know this too. I don't even understand the purpose of a downpipe for this car. They all look same as stock. I would think replacing cat to high flow or catless should gain some power.
Has anyone just done the high flow cat? Pick up hp and sound, but shouldn’t drone at all.

800 Posts
Phil From Fabspeed here.
This exhaust has been selling like hot cakes. The HJS Cat and and resonator do a fantastic job at keeping drone at bay. It also gives the car an amazing sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I ordered the Fabspeed supercup Turbo-back, so hopefully I’m a few weeks I’ll be able to tell you something :)

I’m a little worried it’ll be too loud... but it’s too late to back out now!
Well, it is done. I installed the Fabspeed Supercup Turbo-back this past weekend. My feelings are mixed on it (in large part b/c it's just too loud for me in Sport mode).

(NOTE: I disconnected the fake SoundAktor sound generator, so that influences things)

It sounds pretty good in standard (non-Sport) mode and startup. Driving around, it's definitely, unmistakably THERE. all the time. But it has character, and I wouldn't say it drones, per se. Driving steady on the highway sometimes it fades right into the background. In city driving, it's generally fine too; has pleasing, deep tone, that's more sensitive to throttle input.

In sport mode, though... it's LOUD. Sport mode is INCREDIBLY, obviously different with this exhaust. I'm sensitive to the low resonance this car produces a bit, even with PSE to some extent, and in sport mode... that low frequency resonance with this exaust makes my ears ring a little, even at idle and especially at light throttle 1200-2000 RPM. Full bore it's actually more pleasing when in sport, probably owing to some interaction with the turbo. I'm trying to see whether I can get used to it.

I think maybe I just can't handle it.

Now, some people may like that, and may also think "How could you not know what you were getting in to?" You're probably right ;) If you have any doubt at all about your ability to tolerate volume or resonance, you should likely reconsider and stick with the Street Sport.

Reactions: Guaji

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to “hear” your initial impressions. I guess I’m glad that I just went with the Sport Cat and tips. Not an extreme difference from stock, but I like the way the turbo is more audible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured I would post again, because at this point, now I've done BOTH the Fabspeed and AWE :)

If you read above posts, I replaced stock with Fabspeed Supercup Turbo-back with the high-flow cat. Ultimlately, It was just too loud for me in Sport mode.

So, I took it off and went AWE. I bought the "track edition", and I bought someone's left over single Touring pipe, so I'm running 1/2 touring and 1/2 track.

Verdict?

I actually thought the Fabspeed sounded better. In fact, I think the Fabspeed sounded actually, legitimately good (not in sport mode), inside and outside the car. And, there definitely is a different throttle response curve with the Fabspeed Turboback. It's not huge without a tune, but it's enough that if you know your car, you'll notice the difference. You can also tell the subtle loss of about 30 pounds if you squint :)

But for me, the AWE, with stock cats is more livable. I might actually put the other track pipe on. I'm curious how the fabspeed cat-back would sound, but honestly, these cat-backs are build so similar, I feel as though the major difference came from the Fabspeed turbo-back being totally different design. I had heard someone mention in another forum (maybe this one?) they were unhappy with some drone in the AWE at certain RPMs. I don't detect it, so I think it's not a universal complaint.

Now I can drive around in sport mode and not get a headache. It just doesn't sound as good with the AWE, in either mode. I mean, it sounds fine, "better" than stock. We'll see how I feel in a thousand miles.

No matter... I still cried when I was at the dealer yesterday for service and a 981 GTS drove in, then a GT3 right behind it :( Damn those things sound good.

Build-quality wise, they both seem good. No complaints. I'm not a super-fan of the giant chrome tips on the AWE. I thought the double-wall carbon-look things on the Fabspeed looked better.

Design wise, I think AWE could have done better with the design of the outlet pipes. Seems like an x-pipe design might be more efficient for flow. Maybe it doesn't matter. I might try to fabricate my own, for fun.

I'm also not 100% convinced the mounting brackets they both use are the best ideas. Probably fine, but I'm not sure that the transmission plate is meant to support the torque those stand-off clamps they both use cause. OEM and others with mufflers use a strap with a hanger right on top of the plate, which doesn't torque the plate as much, makes it more of a downward force. Not wholly convinced of durability with a lot of rough road driving over the period of a few years. We'll see. I might try to fabricate something which reduces the moment (right term?).

Hopefully this aids someone.

800 Posts
Hey rjm98119,

Glad to hear you were satisfied with the sound of our Fabspeed Turboback!! Sorry to hear however that the system was too aggressive for your day to day driving. Pleas contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns or would just like to chat.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts