Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not sure if it's been posted before. Sharing just in case:
Incredible really. A Lotus isn't held to the same 'real world' constraints of making a car (cargo space, HVAC performance, exemptions for air bags, sound deadening, windows, etc) that Porsche holds themselves too. All those lack of amenities really adds up to a substantial weight advantage for the Lotus, which it's just amazing the Cayman can overcome given that it is actually a real car that can be driven in all seasons and conditions.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be entirely fair though. The Exige S video from a while ago (i think?)

My hunch is PAG in some ways kept the taller gearing and probably had other "things" optimized for the Ring as well. Either case, the GT4 did well. That's definitely good stuff

·
Registered
700 Posts
It was really interesting to see how much more stable and planted the GT4 was than the Exige. He was really working the Lotus while the GT4 made that 7:42 look "easy". The extra 60 ponies had to shave a few seconds off in the long straights, but you could see him eeking in the GT4 away well before that. Of course they really needed to be driven on the same day for a truly fair comparison. I doubt the outcome would be any different but the margin could be, in either cars favor. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I believe the Exige has 205/17 fronts and 265/18 rears. GT4 runs 245/20 fronts and 295/20 rears. So slightly more tire for the Cayman. Exige probably better power to weight, but we'll see when GT4s actually start getting delivered.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This really is a testament to the GT4 performance, considering the following:

1. The Exige S weighs almost 500 pounds less!!!
  2. The Cayman might have more power, but the power/weight is about the same. The Exige S is actually faster 0-200 kph.
  3. The Exige is running Trofeo 60 treadwear tires. The GT4 has PSC2 with 180 treadwear.
  4. As mentioned, considering the GT4 is more streetable... the performance is quite impressive.
  5. But seriously, the Exige S is slow... even a Honda Civic is faster by 3 seconds. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Looking at official Ring lap times, the 7'42" is very impressive. The 2006 GT3 time of Rohrl was 7'42", the 2010 Turbo S time is 7'41" and the Carrera GT time is 7'28". The new 991 GT3RS is supposed to lap in 7'20" although there is no video of this, nor a video for a 991 GT3 lap time. Not long ago street cars that got under 8 minutes were exceptional, now it's quite possible--albeit with great cars and even better drivers (rare) under good conditions (even rarer!)
I have to agree that the GT4 seemed to be less of a handful than the Lotus--compare the slip angles as indicated by the steering wheel inputs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Impressive. I always put the exige S on the same level as the CS. Times are almost identical.

I wonder how gearing would play into this. The exige S tackled much of the course in 3rd. The gt4 required many more shifts to second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts