Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking hard for a used Cayman and perhaps I am setting my sights too high in regards to condition. For instance, most of the 2007 Caymans I have looked at have some small rock chips in the hood, a scratch here and there, occasional curb rash on a wheel, etc. It IS a car that is being USED, so expect some wear, but just wondered if Cayman owners being who they are, might make it more likely to find truly pristine, near showroom condition cars, that up until now, I have not found.

The one car I am looking at has a 1.25" scratch in the front bumper, dead center. Worst thing about the car. Does a repaint of this area hurt the value? Color is Atlas Gray.

Thanks.

- Phil

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would consider that, if there was a small custom plate that said "Porsche", or something else, other than the state government plate. Any such thing?

- Phil

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would consider that, if there was a small custom plate that said "Porsche", or something else, other than the state government plate. Any such thing?
I'm sure you could find a plate with just about anything you want on it. That won't satisfy Johnny Law though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
How wide is your search area? What sources are you using to find cars? Do you want an odd combo of color/options?

I scoured the western US for new and used cars mid-late last year. I found probably a 50/50 mix of garage queens and cars that were likely DD's and had the usual wear and tear scars. I also found that the truly pristine cars were ridiculously overpriced with their owners thinking they were holding on to the 987 platform equivalent of the last air cooled Porsches. Silly owners.

If you don't mind paying way over average and likely forgoing a CPO warranty (since most garage queens seem to be PP), I'm sure given enough time you will be able to find what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
My 07 is Atlas Gray. A few months ago a young woman in a hurry scraped my rear bumper in a parking lot. Body shop/insurance co chose to replace. I was concerned about matching the color, almost refused the new bumper shell. But you cannot tell at all. The point is, they seem to be really good on colors and a small scrape can probably be made to disappear except under the closest scrutiny. IMO no big deal if car otherwise in excellent condition.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Search distance for car is California, western Nevada. The car I have found is outfitted as follows.

2007 Cayman S, 32k miles, non CPO. One owner. Wty ends 12/2010. Being sold by high-end, non Porsche dealer.

Atlas Grey Metallic
Black Standard Leather
Automatic Climate Control
19" Carrera S Wheel
3-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
PCM 2.1
Sport Shifter
Atlas Grey Metallic
Preferred Package Plus
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
Heated Front Seats
BOSE Surround Sound-System
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Pwr Comfort Seats w/Driver Mem
6-Disc CD Changer
Floor Mats Interior Color

1.25" scratch to primer on center of front bumper. Some small paint chips on hood, one small one on fender edge, a small mark of some kind on driver door edge (all according to dealer over phone). Interior is perfect, wheels w/no rash. Will have Porsche do a pre-purchase check.

Price is around $38k. If Porsche pre-purchase OK, reasonable price?

- Phil

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Look at autotrader.com. I just saw three with under 20K for < 40,000 asking and an Atlas Gray with 6,600 miles for 38,925. Its an 07 with Bose, bi-xenon and other stuff. Why buy with 33,000 miles when there are so many low mileage ones. Nine monthls ago local dealer complained I was high mileage at 17,000 when I considered Gen2. I think you can do much better.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Look at autotrader.com. I just saw three with under 20K for < 40,000 asking and an Atlas Gray with 6,600 miles for 38,925. Its an 07 with Bose, bi-xenon and other stuff. Why buy with 33,000 miles when there are so many low mileage ones. Nine monthls ago local dealer complained I was high mileage at 17,000 when I considered Gen2. I think you can do much better.
I too think this is too high for non CPO car

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To help me better understand pricing for a car with these options, what would be a fair price? The asking price is $38,100. When new, it was $71,565.

- Phil

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a pristine, well optioned, off-lease, 4000 mile, 2006 CPO CS back in March of '09 for 38K. Original window sticker $74,500.

My search for the perfect car (for me, at least) was conducted via Autotrader, eBay, and the Porsche website and took approximately 6 months. Travelling distance was 80miles. I looked only within a 200 mile radius. Patience is key...along with persistence.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just went through all of this...as I picked mine up on Tuesday. I was pretty particular about the car I wanted, and in the end finally found it. The car had about 4 really small rock marks on front bumper, everything else is pretty flawless. Interior is in immaculate condition as the car only had 15k miles. Don't settle, you will definitely regret it. I got the exact car I wanted at a fair price. Don't compare to the lowest priced cars out there, it's not realistic. It's either a high mileage car, multi owner car, repaint of some kind or just overall not in great condition.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Keep in mind that if you do find the perfect car it can all be ended by a simple incident. A door ding, key scratch etc. Should you find a car that has all the right options and color I wouldn't let a small defect deter me from getting it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Couple of things at work here.

We need two cars, and one (BMW M3), has a blown head gasket or cracked head. It has to be replaced immediately, or repaired and replaced later. I'd rather not fix (sell as parts car), but may have to, to have the time to find the ideal Cayman.

I do not think I am that picky on Cayman options, so that should make the car easier to find. Colors are the biggest issue...no red, black, or white. If the right 2.7 model comes along, I would consider that, though the S is preferred.

From what I can see, the San Francisco bay area commands higher prices than most. I'll keep looking, but it would help if I knew what would be a reasonable price for the car I listed above.

Thank you.

- Phil

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Rock chips are part of the Cayman story. Mine has a few and only 13k.perfect interior.No rash on the wheels and only minor scuffing along the leading edges of the underbody wind deflecters.Also my windshield has evidence of a few minor contacts with road debris.God only knows what it will look like with 60k on it...:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took your advice, and looked in AutoTrader for S models within 300 miles of my zip code with less than 20k miles and under $40,000. There were 2. Going to 500 miles, got me 5 cars. I could take overnight trips and inspect, but have to weigh the dollars spent traveling for inspections against a higher priced car locally. I know I can try and have another Porsche enthusiasts possibly inspect the car for me, but would be nice to inspect and drive myself.

- Phil

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I understand. Since 2006 I have purchased 1999 and 2001 BMW M coupes, my 07 CS and a classi mini through either E-bay or autotrader and travelled from 300 -1200 miles to pick them up driving or flying. Initial homework was Carfax and dealer service records, sometimes extensive photos. I took the gamble on travel time, each was exactly as represented and purchase consumated after my road test. Unless wrecked or other stories, the 6,600 mile one should be as new and worth quite a bit more than the 33K one. Enough so to look at it and even have it shipped if you don't have time for the fun drive home. I am 63, made mistakes due to haste. Cheaper to rent a car for a week or two to buy some time and get a really nice CS. They are out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
To help me better understand pricing for a car with these options, what would be a fair price? The asking price is $38,100. When new, it was $71,565.

- Phil
I bought my 06CS last May for $36K, original was somewhere around $74K, 26K on the odo.

Now, there were a few road chips in the nose and hood, a small scratch over the passenger side nose air intake, the front lip spoilers were scratched to hell and there was some stress fractures in the rear bumper near the bumperettes. Interior was in excellent condition, but a few light abrasions on the seats kept it from being perfect.

I replaced the the front lip spoilers for under $150, and had a leather repair professional touch up the bolsters on the seats, that was $200. As for the paint, I decided it's a full respray or nothing. Maybe in a few years.

Used cars are gonna have scratches and dents. In fact, if I saw a car without any of these things, with more than a couple thousand miles on odo, I'd worry that it had been in an accident, and just got out of the shop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts