Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to custom order a slightly optioned Cayman ($56,640 total cost including destination charge and options) and was offered a discount of only $1,000.

Doesn't seem reasonable to me but would appreciate the perspective of others who've recently purchased similar.

Thank you.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Every dealer is different but I think it's safe to say in general you will get less of a discount on an ordered car versus something sitting on the lot. For instance, when I ordered my car, I was offered $3k off but they clearly told me I would get $5k+ off any 981 on the lot. Mine was optioned to a little under $80k but most of the stuff on the lot were well over $80k. In your case, you aren't adding really any options at all, but you are using one of the dealer's allocations for a car, so there is a little bit of risk for them. I don't know how desirable "stripper" 981 Caymans are but they always represent less profit so that's why dealers don't stock them.

$1000 off is definitely on the low side of what I've seen (only about 1.7% in this case). Perhaps you might want to call some other dealers or try to find something that is slightly optioned on a lot that you could get for the same price (eg, $4k off a $60k car, even if it has options you don't need).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my negotiations: After further negotiations, the dealer increased the discount to $2,400 (or roughly 4-1/4% off the $56,640 price). I would've preferred a tad more but am not greedy. Also, I will have a the opportunity to establish a sound relationship with and outstanding central VA Porsche dealership.

An aside: I was disappointed in the appearance of the anthracite brown (seen in person on an overcast day -- had seen photos in other light conditions and thought it awesome) and am considering the sapphire blue metallic (very good looking).

Blinsc: I'm counting on you to tell me what an excellent choice I am about to make.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Food for thought but a little late, sorry. Ordered custom 2015 CS about two weeks ago with very few options and got 8 % off after some back and forth. True car online website was giving 5% in my area so that's where we started the negotiation. Now the real hard part the waiting.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Blinsc: I'm counting on you to tell me what an excellent choice I am about to make.
Well, I am biased towards blue cars. Three of the four vehicles I've owned have been one blue or another and I got rid of the only non-blue car in less than a year. Sapphire Blue never stops looking good to me and, in my eyes, continues to look good even when a little dirty. I think it's the perfect shade of blue because it definitely stands out but isn't over the top.

Nice job getting a better discount!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I ordered a sapphire blue Cayman S when the color first became available w/o seeing it in person.
I could not be happier. I think it's a color most people can live with but does not look like every other silver, black and white Porsche. I had selected Guards Red and changed it a day before the order locked. I would have been happy with red but the sapphire blue seems to be a huge hit everywhere I go.

It's not over the top, but it's still sets the car apart.

Update on my negotiations: After further negotiations, the dealer increased the discount to $2,400 (or roughly 4-1/4% off the $56,640 price). I would've preferred a tad more but am not greedy. Also, I will have a the opportunity to establish a sound relationship with and outstanding central VA Porsche dealership.

An aside: I was disappointed in the appearance of the anthracite brown (seen in person on an overcast day -- had seen photos in other light conditions and thought it awesome) and am considering the sapphire blue metallic (very good looking).

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I've read and from a Cayman I just ordered 8% off list is a good offer for a car that is ordered. My Cayman's list a bit over $72 K.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered my '15 CS 6 months ago and received 6% discount without negotiation. I think 8-9% is reasonable with a little bit of extra work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What is a reasonable discount on a 6 spd Cayman GTS with a reasonable amount of options - say $86,000?

I got about 7% on mine about a month after the launch date. On an ordered car. Very high volume dealer (not trying to make a big kill on low allocation numbers)

I had dealers tell me that they are small, only sell a XX cars a month, and can't afford to chop prices like the big dealers.

For a car that has been sitting a while, 10% is possible. I was offered 10% on a red boxster S with manual trans that no one had taken home yet.

Figure 5% as a starting price. 10% is a home run. There are always exceptions and it depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Figure 5% as a starting price. 10% is a home run. There are always exceptions and it depends on the dealer.
Agreed based on shopping recently. Also consider how "picky" you might be about what you really want on the option list and it makes finding one that fits tougher even if there are 50 sitting on dealer lots right now.

Ordering a '15 May be a challenge, as one dealer I trust said there were only ~8 allocations left in country. Waiting for a '16 build is an option of course.

Usually somewhere between that 5-10% is a decision point for many of "heck, for $1,800 difference and standing in front of the car set up how I want I'd rather drive it now than in August!
:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
4 and 1/2% is a little thin. 5-8% is pretty much standard now on base&S. If there are other dealers in the area - go there and see what they can offer. If another 1000 is not that important to you - sit back and enjoy the wait.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i think a big knob turner on this is the dealership - high sales=a better chance at a better deal.

knowing someone is even better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts