Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing my brake pads I looked at the rotors and my front rotors start to already develop a lip at the edge at ca 29k miles.

Thus I wonder how long the expectation is that they will last, either with heavy, medium or light track/AutoX use.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Depending upon where in the country you live, the weather conditions are often the main factor. Here in the UK, with lots of rain and salt on the roads during winter, I find that corrosion is the killer and don't usually get more than 3 years from new discs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
While changing my brake pads I looked at the rotors and my front rotors start to already develop a lip at the edge at ca 29k miles.

Thus I wonder how long the expectation is that they will last, either with heavy, medium or light track/AutoX use.
I live in NC and use my car as a Daily driver, no racing events or anything, and I have 45,000 on my original rotors, last time I changed the breaks they were still in tolerance, but at the limit, will probably change at 50,000 miles or so....

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts

No way to tell since everybody will be different. Your question has too many variables and unknowns; i.e. usage of track pads vs OEM pads, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Track use is one thing, but barring warped rotors it is hard to imagine replacing a set of rotors in 50k miles unless you do a lot of heavy braking and don't use the engine to help slow the car. It is normal for rotors to have some lip. And never have rotors machined - that is a rule of mine. New pads will quickly adjust to lips as well as to moderate grooving. I would not worry about it unless the rotors get too thin. And if you don't track the car or drive hard in the mountains, I would not even worry about them being a bit thin. As long as they have not warped. That's the truth, and I'm sticking to it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts