Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since autumn is now a few months out, I need to figure out what I'm doing tire-wise on my Cayman. I'm in southern Indiana, so we get a little winter but generally not much snow. Mostly soggy days in the 30s/40s (F), some dips down into the single digits, and the occasional couple inches of snow. I plan on driving this car unless we get a freak blizzard or something.

I'm well-aware that a separate, dedicated winter set is the best option, but I'm a little limited on ability to store and transport a second wheel/tire set. It's doable, but would be a bit of a pain in my rear so I'm leaning toward all-seasons given that I don't really see much actual winter weather / big snowfall. Currently thinking Michelin PS AS4 which just came out (though I'd like to see reviews first, they are at least available for my stock 18s). I've heard good things about the AS3, at least.

Anyone driven all-seaons on their 987 and care to chime in? I don't track, but I do like to bomb down curvy backroads in the dry. I'll also take experiences with proper winter tires - I'd rather deal with the hassle than wind up in a tree if that's the way I need to go :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I lived in California I had summer tires, Potenzas and Conti DW. I'm in the PNW now and switched to the Conti DWS all seasons. Similar situation without enough snow/cold to justify winters.

I would say they're 10% less confident on warm dry pavement going hard (if that), the exact same most of the time, and 100% better if the temp is below 50° or there is any snow on the ground.

Temperature is the biggest consideration since summer tires turn into hockey pucks below 50 or so. That's a lot of mornings here.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm running Continental DWS 06's on my Boxster. Can't say I've ever gotten close to the dry limits on them. Wet works great, haven't had snow in NJ this past winter - so no comment there, except I've had them on other cars and they worked fairly well in light to moderate snow while the "S" is still showing in the tread. The tread has DWS molded into it - the letters are molded different depths, with S being the deepest. When the letter disappears they no longer recommend using the tire in those conditions, ie - if S goes away - don't try snow.

I would have loved to get the Michelin's - but they weren't available in the 19" size with the correct width/profile. (I have the Michelins on my Cayenne.. love'm.)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Similar experience with the DWS06 except I actually ran several track days on mine. They did fine for my first few days and still taught me plenty. Be wary of the purists who will call you names for not putting dedicated shoes on your thoroughbred but get what fits your situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of the first changes I made to my 2010 Boxster after I purchased it in 2014 was to switch to all season tires. While I won't drive my car when there is any snow or ice on the road, I will drive it in every month of the year. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 after extensive research. At the time this was the highest rated all-season tire available in any size. Independent testing showed that this tire performed very well in three seasons, so that met my needs. I don't track my car but I do like to use the car's performance when possible and I find it very hard to lose traction with these tires. I've since replaced the rear pair due to wear after around 22,000 with the similar Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I'm at least as happy with these replacements. Unless I decide to track this car, I see absolutely no reason to change my tire strategy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I'm one of those crackheads that lives in a place where it rarely snows but still runs performance winters in the colder months. I'm in the "Upstate" of SC, and we do get those nights with temps in the mid teens. Three days later the high will be 75. And sooo many rainy 37 degree days. I'll say this. My Boxster and my A4 are still a crapload of fun on the winters. Both cars are still precise and give plenty of feedback. I'm giving up more ultimate grip on that 81 degree February day than you would be on all seasons and still enjoying life. If you have to dial it back 5% on that back road run and still have the biggest grin on your face, whocares?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I'm one of those crackheads that lives in a place where it rarely snows but still runs performance winters in the colder months. I'm in the "Upstate" of SC, and we do get those nights with temps in the mid teens. Three days later the high will be 75. And sooo many rainy 37 degree days. I'll say this. My Boxster and my A4 are still a crapload of fun on the winters. Both cars are still precise and give plenty of feedback. I'm giving up more ultimate grip on that 81 degree February day than you would be on all seasons and still enjoying life. If you have to dial it back 5% on that back road run and still have the biggest grin on your face, whocares?
I live in Michigan and drive in temps below zero. So summer tires in my winter would require dialing it back more like 50% or becoming intimate with the trees alongside my favorite road. I've heard too many stories about "... I never thought my summer tires would be so useless in the cold...." to risk it. BTW, my A4 is also a lot of fun year-round. You have good taste in cars!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am also very interested in the feedback on this post. I live in a harsh winter state and use the Conti DSW06’s. They are not a bad tire at all, but my issue is the performance threshold of the car is just so dang high. If you had the DSW’s on a typical car with typical body roll, you’d never doubt the tires, but I do feel the tires lose grip a little sooner than I expect them to on low speed corners. And the car feels like it could handle a lot more grip and still be happy, if that makes sense. I can’t help feeling that the tires are holding the car back just a bit, and I like eliminating obvious weak points.

I’ve been contemplating switching to a summer performance tire, (PS4S) although I could probably only realistically keep them on the car for 6 months at a time (and the car will be 99% garaged for the 3 harshest winter months)

So I’m very interested in more opinions from people who have tried both the high performance all seasons and summer tires on the same car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've run Conti DWS06 on 17" wheels and Conti Extreme Contact Sports on 18" wheels. In terms of dry traction they are quite different. The ECS's are like driving on bubblegum, my base 987.2 can't break the loose and the car corners like it's on rails. You have to do something really crazy to get the back end out and I don't think I've ever experienced understeer with them. I do notice that there is a bit of body roll in the car as the tires don't give up grip so you feel the car lean.

In comparison the limits of the DWS06 are vastly lower. I've got oversized rears compared to the stock size, 255/45 vs the stock 235/50 so they are close in width to the 265/40R18 ECS's. I don't think the 10mm less width is why the tires feel so much more loose, I chalk that up to the compound and design. With the DWS06 on the car the word that comes to mind is "rotation", pitch the car into a corner and the backend will nicely rotate around until you add some countersteer. The limits of the DWS06 are so much lower, but I think I find them more FUN! I feel like I'm actually driving the car with them on vs the car being completely unflappable. I think I'd be perfectly happy driving the DWS06 year round on my 18" wheels.

Regarding summer tires at low temps I think people go a bit crazy with the whole "don't drive them below 7C thing". Before you throw me under the bus I know what the manufactures say, I've read it all. I've also heard from the manager at my local VW dealer that he's got customers who drive Golf R's all winter in Saskatchewan on the HP summer Conti's they come with! Stupid I know, but he said in his experience the tires aren't cracking at low temps. Check out this video where summer tires out break all season, all weather, and winter tires at 0C in dry conditions:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Won't add much here since others have pretty much said it all - another STRONG vote for Conti-DWS06's. It's what I run on all four corners of every car I currently own. Can not say enough good things about them - best all-season tire I've ever run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in PA near MD Mason/Dixon line - winters have been mild but temps get into the 10’s and 20’s and I drive my 2011 Cayman S in rain, sleet and snow - because it’s FUN you old carmugeons. S’why I bought it. So get separate rims when you can. I run 18” Pontenza snow tires in winter (not all-season). By mid-April I swap off those mounted 18” for 19” Mich Pilot SuperSport summer. To make the most of a Cayman you need the best ground patch you can get - plan ahead and change them in your garage yourself.

I’d argue that you wouldn’t wear muck-boots to a summer 5k, and your wouldn't wear your favorite trail runners to a snowy hike. Same thing here. Equipt yourself for success.

However, if you happen to own your Porsche just to strut to Peet’s or Starbucks, by all means run the all-seasons - and give yourself and all your friends a trophy for showing up and enjoying mediocrity. “Yay! We did nothing but we showed up!”

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, after driving my Cayman across the continental divide in a surprise snowstorm on summer tires I'll take all seasons no problem.

Year-round driveability is nice if you don't get real snow. Performance oriented all seasons are not rock-hard low-traction anymore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another recommendation for the Conti DWS06 here. I have run them on my 06 Cayman S in Florida as a daily driver because they are great in heavy rain but I had another set of rims with autocross tires. In the NC mountains I run them on my A4 Avant and my wife’s Cayenne S, and they are a perfect choice.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've used Michelin AS 3+ in one size larger F&R on my 981 for the past 3 years with great results, I recommend them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
@ssmy I agree with you - if you are going to local town rest places.
😂😂😂

I know that if you're up against the wall and storing two sets of wheels is out of the picture - you have to learn to like all-seasons. I'm wondering how much fun is less grip in a daily driving routine, I believe that it's enjoyable when you know how to go about it, I like to do a proper U turn when I'm in the mood.

But... I may be able to find a spot for a second set of wheels. On PS4S you have to screw up badly to get into a dangerous situation, they are simply amazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience is probably not useful for you but I also think the DWS06's are great tires. Where I live in Georgia it has snowed only once in 20 years but I do most of my driving in the Winter months. I drive the Boxster very little in the summer. Heck, its been 100+ all week. It is just not fun in this kind of heat. Strangely, at the track, everyone drives R-Comp's or Extreme's all year. I have not ever heard of modern tires cracking, not even slicks. Believe it or not, they actually stick better in JAN and FEB than they do in the summer. Having said that, I still have the Conti's on my Boxster because I don't want to have to worry about them. They have a great ride, run lots of miles, and they stick well enough for a daily drive. On a beautiful, sunny winter's day, I can drop the top and enjoy the back roads. I am not out to prove anything on the street, anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts