Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Great topic, I am getting ready to make my 18 inch wheels a more aggressive tire very track oriented, I am going to buy Michelin PS AS4 for my 17 inch wheels that where snow tire wheels, I never drive in the snow but need a set of tires for nice clear cold winter days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
However, if you happen to own your Porsche just to strut to Peet’s or Starbucks, by all means run the all-seasons - and give yourself and all your friends a trophy for showing up and enjoying mediocrity. “Yay! We did nothing but we showed up!”
And Welcome to Plant9 - that's quite a 2nd post. I'll have to go look for #1. You've certainly introduced yourself to the group.

Reactions: ShermanO

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
While ice driving needs studded winter tires that most of us do not use. So, lets get that out of the picture. What I am recommending is two tires mounted on their own wheels. Michelin PS4S's and RE71Rs. While that may seem extreme, on close examination the RE71R's can be used 90% of the time. If your temps go below 20 degrees, then switch to the Michelin PS4Ss. Other wise the RE71R will really benefit from the Caymans unique suspension and mid engine. Who knows when you want to explore some canyon like roads. Once you experience the difference of these stiff walled tires that just stick like mad, you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to live in Cincinnati, so probably similar (same?) weather as you're experiencing. I ran two different 986 Boxsters with dedicated winter tires (on their own set of winter wheels) from November through March. But I also drove it all year 'round...every day. I had zero issues with anything other than really deep snow...I could trudge through up to about six inches before it became a problem. I'm not sure I would have been as comfortable on all seasons, but to be fair I never tried. Of course, now I live in Portland, OR and drive a 987.2...it's currently on sticky summer tires, but when those wear out I'll replace them with all seasons...we just don't have the same winters as the midwest, and the all seasons here will make driving year 'round more comfortable. I didn't / don't track my cars, just enjoy them on the road as much as I can.

Soo...I guess my opinion would be to go with whatever tire setup will allow you to drive your car more. If you've got room for another set of wheels / tires, I'd go that route and dedicated winters. But if not and you have the option to park the car on really bad winter days, for sure the all seasons are perfectly groovy.

...and don't let any "purists" dissuade you on the all seasons. Like I said, whatever lets you drive your car more is good in my book.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
161 Posts
MN owner here: Coincidentally, when I got my CS the previous (original owner) had A/S Bridgestone 970’s on the original wheels (which I have stored) since I’ll probably never need them I would never or would need to ever drive in snow but I did drive around with these until my BBS/S04 setup came and they worked surprisingly good... in hard cornering my confidence wasn’t there, but general driving they were good.. I think they are discontinued now and they have the 980’s... whatever, you get the idea..... now as for snow tires, blizzaks, there is nothing better.. I have a RWD MB and I do drive that a my DD and there amazing tires dec-March

·
Registered
33 Posts
As mentioned, the best option would be a separate set of dedicated winter wheels/tires. But now a days performance all-season tires are way better than in years past. They would be a compromise on the track or in autocross, but for spirited everyday driving not much; and wouldn't turn in to bowling balls when it gets cold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all the feedback, y'all. Given the info here, what little test data I've found, and current storage constraints, I'm leaning toward the new Pilot Sport A/S 4. I'd prefer to have a set of Blizzaks or Sottozeros on separate wheels but our garage is just jam packed with stuff for project cars and house updates. The current tires on the car are pretty meh anyway (Sumitomo HTR ZII's, on it when I bought the thing in January. Side note - they actually weren't too horrible in the cold if I went easy on the throttle. Lord do they get squirrely in the wet though.)

I'm not tracking the car, after all. As long as hard corners on back roads don't put me into a tree, and I can drive on cold winter days then I'm happy enough. Judging from other peoples' experience here with modern A/S tires, that appears to be the case :)

Worst case, I get another set of wheels, relegate the A/S to winter beaters, and figure out where to stash 'em for the summer.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
161 Posts
Unless you drive consistently on ice/snow and have arctic temps, I’d stick with A/S tires... a few years back I had Blizzy’s on my CC dub, and that car ate them alive(warm winter no snow).. as for A/S tires, that’s a phone call to the rack or read testimonials they have...
side note: as for a summer tire that is surprisingly really good, cheap,
Quiet, I bought some summer 18’s for my C-class and got the General V-Max RS’s... these are NOT going to compare with a max or extreme tire, but there pretty decent if your not tracking... General’s are a Continental co... they work really good!!!

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts