Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last couple of days I conducted a little experiment.

I put the hard top on my 987.2 Boxster to see what it would be like to drive in the summer.

Hated it! I felt so disconnected. It just felt like a car but with the top down it's almost like riding a motorcycle. I can hear and feel everything!

Plus with the ac on there was a noticeable drag on power,

Anyway, top is back off now until the winter.

The reason I did this was to sort of compare the Boxster to the Cayman. When I initially bought the Boxster this spring I really wanted the Cayman. Now I know I have no regrets. I think of the Boxster as a roadster, not convertible.

My Boxster is a base but with Spyder suspension, 19" wheels and Sport + programming with the PDK Sports wheel.

I'm now going to look into an exhaust system, came from a Subaru WRX which sounded AWESOME, the P-car just needs a little something to bring it alive.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
No one here will disagree about the superiority of the Boxster vs Cayman.

(I couldn't resist.)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I found them to both be quite excellent. There was a RS60 that I had a serious lust for when I was shopping last time around. Only a hard reality check made me realize I'd probably almost never have the top down. The CS was the result.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Down here in south Texas, (Victoria is about 200 miles from Mexico and 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico) I have three things going against me for the Boxster instead of the Cayman S:
1. I'm bald on top
2. It is very hot, sunny and humid most of the year
3. The wife hates soft tops.
4. CaymanS it is :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Not sure that was an accurate test for what it would be like in a Cayman. Living in south Florida, I prefer the Cayman but different strokes and personal requirements. Regardless tt is great that we have the choice!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
True. And I wanted the Boxster S :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
A Boxster with a hardtop is nothing like a Cayman. (That's not a slam on a Boxster. Boxsters are great cars. I've owned one.)
You mean nothing like a Cayman as in exactly like a Cayman with a different top?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well my personal favorite is to be driving my Cayman and see someone enjoying their top-down Boxster. I envy people who enjoy convertibles - I'm just not one of them. Even in cars with sunroofs I rarely open them. Not sure why - probably something deeply psychologically wrong with me.:(

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Well my personal favorite is to be driving my Cayman and see someone enjoying their top-down Boxster. I envy people who enjoy convertibles - I'm just not one of them. Even in cars with sunroofs I rarely open them. Not sure why - probably something deeply psychologically wrong with me.:(
This is an interesting reply, made me laugh too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After my little experiment I stopped thinking about the Boxster as a convertible. I now think of it as a roadster.

I now a a Fabspeed race exhaust on it. Slowly getting used to it, some frequencies really do go right through you.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
After my little experiment I stopped thinking about the Boxster as a convertible. I now think of it as a roadster.

I now a a Fabspeed race exhaust on it. Slowly getting used to it, some frequencies really do go right through you.
I had the Fabspeed Maxflo V2 Cat-Back on my 2013 Boxster, loved the way it made the engine sound come alive...

Reactions: Fabspeed Motorsport

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm now going to look into an exhaust system, came from a Subaru WRX which sounded AWESOME, the P-car just needs a little something to bring it alive.
glad you're out enjoying your car - looks like the mod bug has caught on!

Similar to the Scooby, the stock exhaust is way too quiet and paired with an after market filter, it really opens up the vocals.
Increases the enjoyment factor quite significantly.:dance:

·
Registered
287 Posts
So the last couple of days I conducted a little experiment.

I put the hard top on my 987.2 Boxster to see what it would be like to drive in the summer.

Hated it! I felt so disconnected. It just felt like a car but with the top down it's almost like riding a motorcycle. I can hear and feel everything!

Plus with the ac on there was a noticeable drag on power,

Anyway, top is back off now until the winter.

The reason I did this was to sort of compare the Boxster to the Cayman. When I initially bought the Boxster this spring I really wanted the Cayman. Now I know I have no regrets. I think of the Boxster as a roadster, not convertible.

My Boxster is a base but with Spyder suspension, 19" wheels and Sport + programming with the PDK Sports wheel.

That might be your problem :p

No one here will disagree about the superiority of the Boxster vs Cayman.

(I couldn't resist.)
But they will disagree about superiority of PDK vs manual

Anyway just joking around not trying to start another dreaded debate, I've had both PDK and manual now, honestly not sure which I even prefer, if it were up to me I'd just have one of each. Same goes for Boxster vs Cayman, one of each...end of argument! One Porsche doesn't feel like enough once you get addicted to the brand.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
You mean nothing like a Cayman as in exactly like a Cayman with a different top?
No, that is not what I mean. A Boxster with a hardtop is not at all like a Cayman. They have the same chassis but they are different cars. A Porsche 911 convertible is unlike a Porsche 911 Coupe. An MGB convertible is unlike an MGB GT. A Triumph Spitfire convertible is unlike a Triumph Spitfire GT. In all of the examples I have posted the convertible with a hardtop does not have the same interior dimensions as the coupe. They don't make the same sounds. They don't have the same feeling. I am not saying that one is better than the other. They are just different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts