Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Cayman that I took delivery on in August 2015. At that time, I purchased the 5 year prepaid maintenance plan for the car, and have used the prepaid service for each major service annually for the last 4 years. The car is only driven ~2k miles a year, and it's time for me to use my last prepaid annual service in the next 1-2 months.

Two questions for everyone:
1. What has your experience been like getting your car serviced in the current environment? Are dealerships pretty good at disinfecting cars/reducing risk of virus exposure? I'm pretty picky about my Cayman, and am not a fan of having the dealership use a whole bunch of chemicals on my interior to disinfect it after service.
2. Do I "lose" my free service if I don't use it within the original five year window? I'm tempted to just wait another 6 months given how little the vehicle is driven until (hopefully) the pandemic dies down.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I also had the 5 yr/50K mile PSMP for my 2015 Cayman. My use was a little different as I drove 50K miles in just under 4 years, so my maintenance was mile based rather than time based.

My dealer always told me that I should bring it in for service within a couple (like in 2) thousand miles or months of the scheduled time/miles. Beyond that, PCNA may question that your part of the plan was not complied with.

I recommend that you simply call you dealer and speak with the Service Manager about your COVID and timing concerns. They will guide you and work out a solution.

Regarding the PSMP... in the end it was a great deal for me. I estimate it saved me about $1K in costs if I had not purchased it. Now that said.... Past 50K miles, I have been doing my own maintenance: Oil Changes, Air Filters, Spark Plugs, Gear Oil Change, etc...

Drive safe

·
Registered
126 Posts
5 year pre-paid maintenance for a vehicle driven a total of 10,000 miles throughout the plan's duration!! WOW.

No offense man, but I'm in the wrong business.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For background, when I originally purchased the car it was my daily driver and I was putting 10-12k miles a year on it. It's funny how two kids can change that :) Now it's only driven lightly on the weekends. Regardless, I planned to have all service done by Porsche during the warranty period, and being in the Bay Area, I think I saved $1-2k when I did the math before buying given how ridiculous labor rates are here. So for me it made quite a bit of sense. I'll give the dealer a call and get their thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Maintenance plans are usually 5 years/ 50k miles which ever comes first so you have the 5 years to get the maintenance done. That's it, no extra time, no waiting until later to do the work unless you want to pay for it. Also the work they do during this period will be what the Porsche maintenance schedule calls for; not what you want or would like done. They are not doing anything more than what's called for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For background, when I originally purchased the car it was my daily driver and I was putting 10-12k miles a year on it. It's funny how two kids can change that :) Now it's only driven lightly on the weekends. Regardless, I planned to have all service done by Porsche during the warranty period, and being in the Bay Area, I think I saved $1-2k when I did the math before buying given how ridiculous labor rates are here. So for me it made quite a bit of sense. I'll give the dealer a call and get their thoughts.

I hear ya. 2 young kids here as well. I drive my Macan more than I care to admit, solely because I'm taking the kids to school/summer camp everyday. My Cayman gets minimal usage as as a result.

If you're up for it, it's about $60 per oil change if you DIY. Back the car onto ramps and jack the front end up to make the vehicle level. It sounds like a lot, but it can be done in less than an hour tops. You'll also need a reset tool for the oil light (iCarSoft) at about $130 one time cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To close the loop on this, according to my service advisor you have a 2 month grace period to use the service. Since my in-service date was originally 8/24/15, I have until 10/24/15 to use my 5th and final service. This is apparently the case in normal times as well, they have not changed this due to COVID.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts