Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the extended tank for the GT4, I don't understand it.

Why wouldn't it just be stock to have the extended tank? It's a no cost option anyway.

Is there some sort of other advantage/disadvantage either way? (eer, other than the obvious fuel range, that is).

I don't want to order it, then find out later on 'oh, you shouldn't get it because it ruins the X,Y,Z, loses you 50bhp, etc etc...:))

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some people tracking their cars frequently think that their "full tank" will give them an advantage to others with the standard tank ...still others, I have noticed, even plan the amount of fuel they would use for one stint and fill the car up accordingly...each to his own I guess...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For the 997.2 RS brochure, it says "90-litre tank.On request, for no extra charge,the standard 67-litre tank can bereplaced with a 90-litre fuel tankto allow the car to cover longerdistances before refuelling."

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Catalogue_911_GT3_997_MY10_PCGB.pdf

I guess it's for those who need a larger tank for track days in case there are no race fuel nearby? But then some prefer smaller tanks due to weight, yet don't want the tank to be super empty and have the fuel sloshing around.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I plan to get the larger tank in the GT4. I have the ext tank in my 991 GT3 and am happy with it. For me it's purely a convenience thing and so far for the GT3 there is no downside. I don't know any specific numbers or %, but based on the discussion threads in the RL 991 GT3 forum I would say that most buyers do spec the larger tank.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Don't forget about the extra weight of the air in an empty larger tank vs. the weight of the air in an empty smaller tank when taking into account your suspension corner balancing. :) :) :)

FWIW I was told by an Alabama highway patrol officer that they seized a Boxster that had a portion of its fuel tank replaced with a compartment to hide drugs so those with the smaller tank may have some explaining to do if the highway patrol is checking for the larger volume when you get pulled over. :) :) :)

·
Banned
550 Posts
Something to consider, according to Porsche's specs:

Cayman GTS curb weight with the 6MT is 2965 lbs and has a 16.9 gal tank.

Cayman GT4 curb weight with the 6MT is 2955 lbs and has a 14.26 gal tank.

Since gas weighs ~6 lbs per gallon and curb weights are measured with a full tank of gas, one reason the GT4 weighs less than the GTS because it has a smaller gas tank. Literally. The 2.64 gallon smaller tank saved the GT4 15.84 lbs.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Something to consider, according to Porsche's specs:

Cayman GTS curb weight with the 6MT is 2965 lbs and has a 16.9 gal tank.

Cayman GT4 curb weight with the 6MT is 2955 lbs and has a 14.26 gal tank.

Since gas weighs ~6 lbs per gallon and curb weights are measured with a full tank of gas, one reason the GT4 weighs less than the GTS because it has a smaller gas tank. Literally. The 2.64 gallon smaller tank saved the GT4 15.84 lbs.

I don't think you can contribute the weight difference between the GTS and GT4 solely to the gas tank since there are other differences between the cars like the seats, the door pulls, the wing, the suspension, the wing, etc. but yes the "wet" weights would be 15.84 pounds apart just on the fuel difference alone.

·
Banned
550 Posts
I don't think you can contribute the weight difference between the GTS and GT4 solely to the gas tank since there are other differences between the cars like the seats, the door pulls, the wing, the suspension, the wing, etc. but yes the "wet" weights would be 15.84 pounds apart just on the fuel difference alone.
I don't think I tried to contribute the weight difference solely to the gas tank (notice I said "one reason" not "the only reason"), I was just pointing out the fact that if the gas tanks were the same size, the GT4 would weigh slightly more. I'm not sure why you put wet in quotation marks as curb weight (or "wet" weight) is a commonly accepted vehicle weight measurement, at least in the United States.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe this is restating things, but I think the reasoning is:
The tank that comes standard with the GT4 is smaller than the tank that comes with a regular 981, 981 S or 981 GTS. The smaller tank has less weight when full, less sloshing of fuel when half empty, etc. All for track reasons. Which is what they assume you are buying the GT4 for.
They then give you the option of having the extended tank (I'd call it regular size) so you can commute with less fill ups in between.
So:
Standard = Smaller
Extended = Regular

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think that's the point. I think after making all the other changes (weight gain from the new suspension and brakes minus the weight loss where they could find it), they ended up with a net few pounds over the GTS.

So they fixed it by reducing the standard tank enough to bring the weight with full tank down below the GTS. Sounds like marketing to me. And then you get the no cost option to restore the normal fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Porsche probably had a large number of the 14.27 Gallon gas tanks left over from the Spyder and Cayman R so they are trying to get rid of them. The Spyder, and I believe the Cayman R, were available only with the smaller fuel tank; there was no option for the standard size tank. It was probably done so they could list a lower weight. Possibly Porsche thinks that the car is not suitable for extended trips, so the small tank will be sufficient.

williamr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts