Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a little problem.

Last night i took my car for a spin, and experienced extensive wheel spin!

I dragged in 1st or 2nd or even in 3rd, the wheels were spinning like crazy. Even if i pull out my vehicle in 2nd to overtake, it spins, the whole car shakes as if it'll jump off the road.

Every time it spins, the warning light comes up and again shuts down.
The PSM is "on". Everytime. I never turn it off.
Then i switched off the PSM for a while, and car acted pretty normal.

My car has done 2200kms only, tires are very fresh. Its a 2010 Cayman S

Is there a malfunction? Why are they slipping? Infact three days ago when i drove it, the car was rock steady. I have no clue what happen suddenly.

I am pretty worried. Please help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's funny you should mention this. I have an 09 CS and last week I was at a stop sign. I proceeded to take a left turn and was not going fast. All of a sudden the rear started to drift to the right. I took my foot off of the accelerator and it straightened out. The road was dry and revs low. Stability program was on but I didn't notice if the light came on or not.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That sounds very unusual, it's not easy to spin the wheels on this car with a stock engine.

Was this a new road? Maybe there something on the road surface. How about the air temperature? Summer tires and subfreezing temps don't mix, but you're in India so that is unlikely...

·
Registered
85 Posts
The wheels do want to spin easily especially if there is light coat of road grime on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Must be an oily road? Mine grips like "Monkey dung to a deal board"!

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Is there a malfunction? Why are they slipping? Infact three days ago when i drove it, the car was rock steady. I have no clue what happen suddenly.

I am pretty worried. Please help.
You didn't mention the temperature. It is very normal for these tires to spin, even on dry pavement, if the temperatures are below 40 degrees F. My Cayman S (2007) has Michelin PS2s and I can roast them right off the rims in the cold.

In my owners manual, on page 244 it says:

We recommend fitting winter tires on the vehicle at temperatures below 45°F (7°C ).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone snuck into your garage and installed a turbo???
Sigh.. I wish. :hilarious:

Were the roads wet?
No. Pretty normal

Must be an oily road? Mine grips like "Monkey dung to a deal board"!
No oily road. Even mine use to hug the road.

You didn't mention the temperature. It is very normal for these tires to spin, even on dry pavement, if the temperatures are below 40 degrees F. My Cayman S (2007) has Michelin PS2s and I can roast them right off the rims in the cold.

In my owners manual, on page 244 it says:

The temperature was around 80 degree F. So i wonder why did it spin?
Albeit i enjoyed the craziness of the car. It actually doubled the fun! :dance:

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Too many burnouts and they are bald??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too many burnouts and they are bald??
I checked them immedeatly and found no rubber burn! They were pretty normal.

UPDATE guys:

Last night i again took it for a spin and found no wheel spin.
May it be in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear, or even while changing gears and overtaking, no wheel spin.

The car is acting very normal as it use to before. Very weired!
Wonder what happen suddenly?!

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Sigh.. I wish. :hilarious:
No. Pretty normal

No oily road. Even mine use to hug the road.

The temperature was around 80 degree F. So i wonder why did it spin?
Albeit i enjoyed the craziness of the car. It actually doubled the fun! :dance:
OK, now that's just wierd. On 80 degree roads my car hooks up like rolling velcro. I can break it loose if I want to, but I have to really try.

Next thing to check, tire pressures. An over inflated tire will have a small hard contact patch. Have you check your rear tire pressures (don't go by TPMS)?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe one of the rear tires had oil on it for a while somehow?
Nope. No oil, i am 100% sure of it. (But may be while driving there might be some oil on the road and i must have drove over it unknowingly??)

OK, now that's just wierd. On 80 degree roads my car hooks up like rolling velcro. I can break it loose if I want to, but I have to really try.

Next thing to check, tire pressures. An over inflated tire will have a small hard contact patch. Have you check your rear tire pressures (don't go by TPMS)?
No i haven't checked the tire pressure yet. I'll check it today itself and ge back to you. (I don't have TPMS)
Hey can i check the pressure with the Porsche air compressor supplied with the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If it wasn't oil or other surface residue it may well be tire pressure. A good pressure gauge is a great investment, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it wasn't oil or other surface residue it may well be tire pressure. A good pressure gauge is a great investment, if for no other reason than peace of mind.
Yeah i guess i'll buy a pressure gauge Albeit tires are acting fine now. No more wheel spins.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The question about temperature is relevant. It's even mentioned in my owners manual. The tires that came with my car are designed for +45F operating temperatures. Even at temps around or below that point they rapidly lose grip. Add in some water/oil and they slip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts