Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

External Oil Coolers

11K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  cmargosi 
#1 ·
Okay all...

I'm getting to the point where the stock oil cooler isn't doing the trick. I have the larger cooler for the 3.8L 997.1 motors, but I'm running oil temps consistently over 300 degrees on track and that isn't good news for my 3.8 L motor. I know LN Engineering makes an oil cooler bypass for an external cooler. I'd love to see pics of creative solutions / external oil coolers on Caymans....what do you have for me?

#2 ·
I'm faced with the same issue. LN does make a by pass for the M97/96 engines but not yet for the dfi. I hear there are oil coolers that have an integrated thermostat and fan. That is what I am leaning toward once I find a way to bypass the stock one.

#3 ·
I have seen the LN Bypass. This is probably the route to go, but still the question of where and how to best mount the oil cooler. Any links or ideas about where to buy the oil coolers you referenced?

#4 · (Edited)
Charlie,

Dwain used the LN oil cooler adapter. We used this adapter and some nice fab work from Vision tech Omar to install a system that works very well.

Large cooler and two fans located in the trunk - with cooling air routed in through the hatch and out via a duct exhausting through the license plate location.

Temps dropped significantly in both the oil and water cooling loops.

Cooler during installation (no hoses yet):

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Technology

Inlet duct:

Vehicle Automotive exterior Airplane Aircraft Car

Exhaust location:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Bumper

#7 · (Edited)
Mike,

All the thanks go to Vision for the mechanical work and to my secret aero expert for his help on locating the intake duct and exhuast port. It is good to have ex-F1 aero guys in the network. We had the room for the large cooler so....

Yes, the intake scoop, and all of the ducting, are custom. The scoop is a highly modified version of stock part we sourced from Getty (not sure what it was originally).

At Laguna Seca in late June the oil temp ran about 223-228F and the coolant temp ran about 190-195F. The ambient was only in the low/mid 70's so not hot.... We run again next month at Willow Springs where it will be much hotter and should provide a good test for the cooler.

Cheers,

#6 ·
LN & Flat 6 Innovations make a front mounted oil cooler, however they are only offering it with their engine packages. It is mounted in the front where the third radiator would go. According to the presentation & research of Flat 6, high oil temps are what cause most failures in the M96/97. I would really appreciate a vendor making a front mounted oil cooler more available.

#8 ·
I think for a track car to have the oil cooled by the engine coolant not only raises the coolant level too much but does an inadequate job of cooling the engine oil. Right now there doesn't seem to a be a 987.2 cooler delete kit but should be available by LN later in the fall. I am going to duct some cool air down onto the cooler for my race in October and hope the temps are lower than 80!

#10 ·
What's interesting about my car is that my coolant temps are quite low. I don't even see 200 degrees, in fact, with oil temps in the low 300s yesterday in the race I had coolant temps in the 180 degree range. I'm thinking I have a bad sender....not an oil cooling issue.

#11 ·
Charley:

Something doesn't seem right. I wonder if the Can engine oil temp is actual or calculated?

In my last race water temp was max 216 and oil was max 252 that with ambient of about 82. This was at Road America with lots of full throttle!

#13 ·
While 216 is Ok for water I would be thinking above 250 on oil is too high. What do you feel are the parameters for oil would be and what is your basis for that? I feel like the engine is pulling back power later in the races but i have no real "proof"!

#15 ·
Update....we are going to change out the oil level / temp sender ($75 part from PCNA) and see if we get different results. Will keep you posted.

It would be helpful if anyone else can share data points on coolant vs. oil temps on track / racing....that would give me a sense of "normal"...

#19 ·
Yes, around 240-250, depending on where I am on track. It cools down on straights. The coolant temps are consistently between 170 and 180, not much variance, although they do rise as my races / sessions go on.

#20 ·
I believe I have an oil temp issue with my 09 987.2 race car - any advice is appreciated

Lap1:* Water temperature: 183/205 (high/low)* Oil temp:* 198/210 - from the AIM dash
Mid-race lap 12:* *Water: 169/171* Oil: 239/241
Last lap 21:* Water: 176/176* Oil:* 241/246

At mid-race the engine note changes and power is down. with some short shifting for a lap or two the power typically comes back presumably after the oil temps drop...

Researching the issue I'm not hearing others speak to the loss of power - but I gather the upgrade options for lowering oil temps are along the lines of
a)* header shield/wrap
b)* larger 997 oil cooler (not sure what part number)
c)* deep sump

?

#21 ·
I would check out the GT3 997 oil/water exchanger and a 3rd radiator. A LN deep sump should take about 10 degrees out of the total. The GT3 oil/water exchanger will take out another 10 degrees. This info is on P9 from a year ago. Use your google search engine to find the link on P9. You may have some fitment issues with the GT3 exchanger as its taller than your OEM one, but keep in mind its capacity is more than triple your oem one. Call LN for more info.

#22 ·
It looks like oil temps are slightly high, but routinely I see temps above 230 even 240 during hard driving in a race. Strangely, I've had issues with the MAF cutting power. At the same time, temps seem to rise and give the illusion that the power cut is due to something with engine / oil temps. Does the power seem to come back above around 3,800 RPM? If so, you might have a bad MAF sensor causing the issue. When it happens, there is NO power down low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.