Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
991 out of the box with an eyelash in the clearcoat on the hood (bonnet for me). Had Porsche dealer check it out and .... yup its an eyelash.

1. Howd that get thru inspection ?
2. How do you get rid of that ?
3. Repaint the hood on a new car ?

Thoughts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow that is unfortunate. If my two options were to leave it alone or repaint, I'd go with leave it alone. Keep in mind, you're not just talking about repainting the hood. They would have to repaint the fenders too to make it all blend together. Seems like that would be more harm than it is worth.

With that being said, a formal complaint to PCNA is certainly in order. On a car that expensive, paint defects aren't acceptable!

PS There's a small bb-sized run in the clear coat on my driver's side A-pilar. So it does seem like paint defects tend to get past QC at Porsche.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
First I've heard of that. From pictures I've seen the paint booth is either automated or staffed w/ fully covered personnel. I'd leave it alone, trying to fix it will only ruin the originality of the car for little gain. Somebody asks say it belonged to a Porsche family member inspecting the Werks! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know it wasnt what I thought when I originally found it but I do appreciate the lateral thinking .......

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
If you search really hard you can find some sort of blemish in just about any paint job from any manufacture. It is a bummer though.

If it really bothers you, take it to a good paint guy (and Porsche) and see what they can do. They might be able to break the clearcoat in that one area, lift the lash and then clearcoat over it. Take my word for it,....a good paint guy with the right methods can make it look like it was never there and you wouldn't know the difference.

Good luck with it any way you go.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Someday you'll be able to clone the factory worker that the eyelash came from and have your very own Porsche factory worker at your disposal, so I'd keep it...
Sounds like the plot to this movie- "Sleeper" a 1973 futuristic science fiction comedy film, written by Woody Allen :)

Good luck with what ever you decide. What has your Porsche dealer suggested?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'd get it on record with PCNA and the Dealer. If sometime later on you have another issue that needs attention, and there is push-back you can point out that they "owe you one".

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Get it fixed. A hair in the paint does hurt the integrity of the paint. You may have issues down the road. A good paint shop will make it as if it were never there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They can wet sand it out, then reclear the hood. There are no matching issues or blending required because it is the clear coat, the color coat is below the clear. They don't have to sand into the color coat. You will never be able to tell the difference when it is done. The rest of the car will be masked off and not touched.

If you want the A pillar repaired, it will also have to be sanded and resprayed because if it is polished after sanding, the texture will be smoother than the rest of the car. I would leave the A pillar alone, because if they spray the pillar they will have to spray the roof. If they spray the roof, they will have the to spray the quarter panels. One can not blend clear, the clear has to be taken to the the next panel gap. If the run on the A pillar bothers you, I would suggest that it be sanded and polished and left at that. The A pillar is such a small area that the texture difference will not really be noticeable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are you sure it's not a "pube"? Had a friend get one of those in his indy replacement windshield once. Of course it was well discounted and we guessed that was the reason.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts