Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fabspeed black chrome tips, GTS smoked taillights, GTS diffuser, plastidip rear emblem, Boxster S side decal and Sport Design steering wheel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looking good. The 981 is sucha good model

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
CO, It looks awesome!

Were the tips hard to put on, did you do this yourself? Do you have PSE?

I looked at that area and it would appear that you have to separate the two halves of the system to get these on?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Man, you and B737NGWS are making it really hard to resist the purchase of the rear diffuser and tinted taillights.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CO, It looks awesome!

Were the tips hard to put on, did you do this yourself? Do you have PSE?

I looked at that area and it would appear that you have to separate the two halves of the system to get these on?

Cheers!
I read up on the install procedures and it seemed like a PITA so since I live 30 mins from Fabspeed I had them do the install. I think that was a wise decision because they just wound up loosening much of one half of the exhaust to fit in the new tips. I know others have done this DIY and kudos to them but sometimes it is easier to fork over a few bucks to have a shop handle...Other things, no problem, for example the taillights and steering wheel were a breeze to swap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, you and B737NGWS are making it really hard to resist the purchase of the rear diffuser and tinted taillights.
Do it, do it, do it! Relatively quick, cheap and reversible mods that perk up the rear end. I particularly dislike the way you can see the unsightly muffler cans through the stock diffuser. No longer so with the GTS update.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Do it, do it, do it! Relatively quick, cheap and reversible mods that perk up the rear end. I particularly dislike the way you can see the unsightly muffler cans through the stock diffuser. No longer so with the GTS update.

Yeah, it's inevitable.

These are the best type of mods, fairly inexpensive and easy to DIY.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
OP, I forgot to ask if you notice a difference in the exhaust note?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I read up on the install procedures and it seemed like a PITA so since I live 30 mins from Fabspeed I had them do the install. I think that was a wise decision because they just wound up loosening much of one half of the exhaust to fit in the new tips. I know others have done this DIY and kudos to them but sometimes it is easier to fork over a few bucks to have a shop handle...Other things, no problem, for example the taillights and steering wheel were a breeze to swap.
That's what I thought, because it attaches between the two mufflers, they have to be spread apart for the tip assembly to go in, thanks for the details.

Now you can spill the beans on the Steering wheel swap! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP, I forgot to ask if you notice a difference in the exhaust note?
I got the tips more for the look than any sound changes. Based on this video I would have been pleasantly surprised if there were a change. Unfortunately, my car doesn't sound noticeably different. Makes you wonder about this video...

I'm still contemplating the Carnewal exhaust mod anyway which I think would give an appreciable difference for much less $ than the PSE retrofit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now you can spill the beans on the Steering wheel swap! :)
I'm not very mechanically inclined but the Paddle wheel swap is very easy to do. I did it on my 987.2 (since sold) as well. There are great DIYs posted. The job took me no more than 30 mins. I like to drive in manual mode 90%+ of the time so the paddles are a must for me.

Now I can decide on the next move. Might be the carbon fiber interior dash and console trim, maybe yellow sport chrono gauge with matching seat belts, maybe aluminum pedals. I may need an intervention for my addiction. :taunt:

·
Incurable Gearhead
965 Posts
I'm still contemplating the Carnewal exhaust mod anyway which I think would give an appreciable difference for much less $ than the PSE retrofit.
Proceed with confidence. It sounds terrific.
PS, your car looks great! I especially love the seat color.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You weren't by chance at the covered bridge rally last weekend were you? Good times.

804 Posts
I am very glad you like the Exhaust Tips, and thank you very much for stopping by our facility! Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Also...your vehicle looks amazing, and I am keeping this thread saved for when I get mine haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fabspeed black chrome tips, GTS smoked taillights, GTS diffuser, plastidip rear emblem, Boxster S side decal and Sport Design steering wheel.

Where didi you get black chrome tips? The last time I asked Fabspeed I was told that they won't sell black chrome tips anymore :/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ From Fabspeed direct. They are making them now. Definitely a step up from stock: more polish (when soot removed), more detail in the beveled tips themselves. Admittedly it is a subtle change but I'm of the opinion it is these small differences that enhance the overall look of the car. The sum is greater than the individual parts. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I am very glad you like the Exhaust Tips, and thank you very much for stopping by our facility! Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Also...your vehicle looks amazing, and I am keeping this thread saved for when I get mine haha
John, quick question, the dyno sheet for the Maxflow system basically says +13 HP and torque increase when installed as a cat-back on a 3.4l engine (S model starting at 315HP)...

Is there any additional gains when this exhaust is used on the better flowing and slightly higher HP 3.4l GTS engine rated at 330HP?

804 Posts
Paddler77 we do offer 981 exhaust tips in Black Chrome for both the factory mufflers and our Maxflo System! Pm sent, and hope to hear back from you soon!

Westcoaster you will see at least the same percentage gains out of the GTS, possibly more as the stronger engine is trying to put out more exhaust flow that is being restricted by the same factory exhaust system. Pm sent!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts