Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my new Fabspeed maxflo exhaust on my cayman for 3 days now.
So far, I've seen a definite improvement in response/power! I know it only supposedly adds 5-10 hp max, but you can really notice the difference. I have a 2009 2.9 pdk (no sprts chrono).
In terms of sound, it is a perhaps a little louder than I'd like, but not too bad.
My only concern is whether the louder exhaust will perhaps become tiresome
since my car is my daily driver, many highway miles espec.
Also, as previous posters have said, it is loudest between 2000-3000 rpms, sweeter at higher rpms. However, since my pdk 7th gear keeps the rpms low on the highway, paradoxically it may be louder than if I were at higher rpm's...just a thought.
Overall, pleased with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
here's a 2 week update on my fabspeed maxflo exhaust...
It's great!. (987.2 2009 C 2.9 pdk).

I highly recommend an aftermarket exhaust for those who got a stripper 2.9 Cayman pdk (no sprts chrono either) like I did. It really makes a noticible increase in performance!

In regards to the fabspeed, there's a great deep sports car rumble, very quiet though, at low rpm's (less than 2000), and a beautiful higher-pitched quiet tone at 2800 rpm and higher.

In the 2000-2800 rpm range there is a drone though, not too loud. It's variable. For extended highway crusing, I just keep the car in
6th gear (pdk in manual mode) to keep the rpms up and out of drone territory, so no fatigue at all. And on country roads (speed limit 55), I keep the pdk in 5th gear. But if you drive the highways in 7th gear (which pdk in auto mode will put you in automatically), it will keeps rpm's at 2000-2500, drone territory, which I think could get annoying for long commutes...still not that bad though. (so much for fuel economy...lol)
As others have said, there isn't much of a drone when the windows are down.

If you value performance mostly over loud sound, the fabspeed is a good choice--one of many, I know....

(now all I have left to do is upgrade the stereo--i've got the awful Sound Package Plus, and maybe an ECU upgrade at some point, if anyone will make one for the 2.9), then I'll be done!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, i don't know about the fit since I had an installer put it in. He said clearly that it was built with very high quality though.
He wants to re-inspect it next week, so I'll know more then.
No apparent leaks or strange sounds, zero vibration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a combination of the above...
The drone is actually a little less since broken in.
I'm used to it, but also drive around it only on long highway stretches though.

I think that if one is always thinking about it or "driving around it", it's time to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've noticed there is a suggestion of drone even with the PSE lugged in the low 2000's. With 6-speed car is always 3000 rpm or higher so this is not likely to be an issue with most of these systems. IMHO it seems counter-intuitive to try and use PDK with these aftermarket systems while using automatic mode. Any consensus about this? Is the sound so good that users are willing to tolerate the drone?:helpme:

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've noticed there is a suggestion of drone even with the PSE lugged in the low 2000's. With 6-speed car is always 3000 rpm or higher so this is not likely to be an issue with most of these systems. IMHO it seems counter-intuitive to try and use PDK with these aftermarket systems while using automatic mode. Any consensus about this? Is the sound so good that users are willing to tolerate the drone?:helpme:
The drone isn't bad at all. Subjective of course, but I can't fathom many people hating the sound. PDK here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have an 08 c.s. with tip and a p.s.e. and you know, I don't here any drone. Although I do here the motor hurting when I'm doing 35 and the cars in 5th. Not much I can do about that. Because of the lack of drone from the pse., I decided to buy a full fab speed exhaust system which ,I'm sure, will let me know what (any kind) of a drone is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts