Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As many of you are already familiar with, Fabspeed makes a full line of performance products for the Boxster/Cayman family. Today I wanted to take some time to focus on the 981 Sport headers specifically. Undoubtedly, the 981 is one of the most potent in stock form Boxster/Caymans to date! This car makes power and sounds great! While this car is great, it can always be BETTER.

The next question one might ask is what should I do to make a great car even better....ADD FABSPEED.

Our 981 Sport Headers are a great addition to any 981. They will increase the exhaust volume and give the car a more aggressive tone with our being overzealous or obnoxious along with adding additional horsepower and torque across the board!

FEATURES:

• Fits all Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman vehicles (2013+)
  • Includes German-imported 200-cell HJS Sport Catalytic Converters for maximum performance
  • Adds 13 whp / 21 ft-lbs of torque at 6600RPM when combined with the Maxflo Performance Exhaust System
  • Saves 6 lbs from the rear of the vehicle compared to the full OEM exhaust system
  • Constructed from equal-length T304 stainless steel C.N.C. mandrel-bent tubing for improved torque and equalized engine pulsing
  • More power and torque across the RPM band and dramatically improved sports car sound
  • Composite gaskets are included for a leak proof seal
  • Direct replacement for the OEM headers with no cutting or welding required
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Limited Warranty
As always, P9 members qualify for special pricing - please feel free to PM or email me for details!

I have a few units in stock and ready to shop, so act fast as the racing season is approaching!

[email protected]

·
Registered
697 Posts
any possibility of fabbing a set of race headers with a shorty muffler where the cat would be on your sport headers? I'm interested in max performance with minimizing the change in tone of my exhaust as is. I feel that my borla exhaust might become overkill with race headers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you have performance numbers from stock exhaust with Headers? Not in combination with the maxflo system?

Reactions: Rubber Chicken

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any possibility of fabbing a set of race headers with a shorty muffler where the cat would be on your sport headers? I'm interested in max performance with minimizing the change in tone of my exhaust as is. I feel that my borla exhaust might become overkill with race headers.
Anything is possible, but adding a muffler might hinder the performance much more then the HJS sports cats we use. The difference in power between the sport and race headers is pretty close. If you are looking to maximize power input while keeping your exhaust tone at a reasonable level - these sport headers would be perfect.

Do you have performance numbers from stock exhaust with Headers? Not in combination with the maxflo system?
Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a dyno graph for the headers alone.

Hello, what is the Planet-9 price for a set of the headers?
Jim
Hi Jim, I sent you a PM.

847 Posts
For the race headers by adding the o2 sensor spacers will it prevent code showing up?
The O2 Sensor Spacers will certainly aid in lessening the occurrence of the code showing up. However, with running no catalytic converters and every vehicle's tolerances being slightly different we cannot guarantee the code will stay off

·
Registered
295 Posts
What is the difference between the Sports vs Race header?

The description between both products don't offer much insight, in fact it adds confusion.

Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Sport Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport

Sport header - $3095

• Adds 13 whp / 21 ft-lbs of torque at 6600RPM when combined with the Maxflo Performance Exhaust System
  • Saves 6 lbs from the rear of the vehicle compared to the full OEM exhaust system
Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Race Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport

Race header - $2095

• Adds 17 whp / 25 ft-lbs of torque at 3500RPM when combined with the Maxflo Performance Exhaust System
  • Saves 10 lbs from the rear of the vehicle compared to the full OEM exhaust system

So the Sport header is more expensive by $1000, weighs more, and produces less HP/Torque at a much higher RPM.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the difference between the Sports vs Race header?

The description between both products don't offer much insight, in fact it adds confusion.

Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Sport Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport

Sport header - $3095

Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Race Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport

Race header - $2095

• Adds 17 whp / 25 ft-lbs of torque at 3500RPM when combined with the Maxflo Performance Exhaust System
  • Saves 10 lbs from the rear of the vehicle compared to the full OEM exhaust system

So the Sport header is more expensive by $1000, weighs more, and produces less HP/Torque at a much higher RPM.

Am I missing something?

There are no catalytic converters on the race headers and are probably illegal to run on the street in states that require smog checks.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The catalytic converters probably cost a small penny...Add to that the different design needed to incorporate the cats into the header in such a small space, and the labor needed to weld in the cats, I'm not surprised the sports/street headers cost $1000 more than the race headers.
BTW, the street headers are beautiful. Every time this thread pops up, I look and drool over them. I wish my car were four years older, and I hadn't promised my wife I wasn't going to modify my GTS...

847 Posts
You know what they say...Promises are meant to be broken!

Just look at that beautiful craftsmanship...the F1 3-to-1 merge collectors...the increase in performance...the beautiful sound you will achieve...

Just imagine the smiles and laughter from your wife in the passenger seat as you pull a handbrake turn and redline the car with the symphony of Fabspeed-enhanced exhaust bellowing behind you

You know you want it ;)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have your sport headers on my Cayman and I like them a lot. I looked at your competitors and think the outlet tubing lengths from the head to the collector are closer to being matched between cylinders than some of your competition.

The only needed improvement on them is that the catalytic converter comes close to the flexible rear brake lines (about six inches). Too close for my comfort. This is natural from the mid-engine design, but Porsche puts shielding on the factory headers and I think it is warranted on aftermarket headers. I am planning to put flexible shielding over the brake lines to help keep them from melting and/or heating the brake fluid. If you ever redesign them, please consider putting a stainless steel shield around the converter to protect the brake line and to limit heat into the engine bay. Also an option for a professional racing heat insulating ceramic coating would be nice.

In my engine swap (documented elsewhere) I am having, in addition, a shield created from 304 stainless sheet metal to cover the converter. I am also having high temperature heat wrap placed around the header tubes (all except for the converter) to limit heating the engine bay and the PDK transmission, which is very sensitive to heat and can overheat in extended racing conditions, even with a third radiator.

These changes would make your product stand out above your competition and would indirectly increase possible horsepower from any engine equipped with a header meeting this proposed configuration.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have your sport headers on my Cayman and I like them a lot. I looked at your competitors and think the outlet tubing lengths from the head to the collector are closer to being matched between cylinders than some of your competition.

The only needed improvement on them is that the catalytic converter comes close to the flexible rear brake lines (about six inches). Too close for my comfort. This is natural from the mid-engine design, but Porsche puts shielding on the factory headers and I think it is warranted on aftermarket headers. I am planning to put flexible shielding over the brake lines to help keep them from melting and/or heating the brake fluid. If you ever redesign them, please consider putting a stainless steel shield around the converter to protect the brake line and to limit heat into the engine bay. Also an option for a professional racing heat insulating ceramic coating would be nice.

In my engine swap (documented elsewhere) I am having, in addition, a shield created from 304 stainless sheet metal to cover the converter. I am also having high temperature heat wrap placed around the header tubes (all except for the converter) to limit heating the engine bay and the PDK transmission, which is very sensitive to heat and can overheat in extended racing conditions, even with a third radiator.

These changes would make your product stand out above your competition and would indirectly increase possible horsepower from any engine equipped with a header meeting this proposed configuration.
I also have a set of Sport Headers on my 981 and can also concur that they're great product. Install went pretty well and no codes occurred from my Fabspeed headers installation. I also had a set of stainless steel brake lines put in at the same time which may help the issue you mention with rear brake lines and shielding. Also had an IPD Plenum and GT3 TB upgrade and that has caused CELs on my particular car but the headers from Fabspeed have been great. Would recommend most definitely. As for why I went with Sport versus Race headers...lack of Cats and problems down the line with emissions and CELs possibly due to the lack of cats was not worth the extra "sound" offered and min performance which honestly I'd likely not feel on a day-day basis on public roads. So in that setting Sport Cats were there way to go and informed choice for me. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts