Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just came back from my first test drive and all I can say is AWESOME! It sounds nothing like the videos sound. Just as others have said, at WOT it sounds F1 like, and when you let off the gas you get a glorious burble ( I love the burble ).
Advice for those doing their own install : Have replacement stainless steel bolts for the exhaust manifolds, the pressed in studs are highly likely to break. I broke 2 on each side ( same two on each side ). There are many recommendations on what to do when they break, but I thought most were over-board and was surprised no one mentioned the tool and method I used: I went neanderthal on the studs and used a 2lb slide hammer, a few slaps with that baby after letting the studs soak in PB Blaster for a while and out they popped. No fuss, no trouble. You can get a slide hammer at Sears or Harbor Freight in the automotive sections. What's also nice about a slide hammer is they usually come with a kit that has attachments such as a punch that you thread on in case you broke the stud flush with the exhaust manifold.

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
whats the recommended way of cleaning/polishing these exhaust? the only type of exhaust i've ever had were the full race titanium ones for my sportbikes. those were easy to take care. mild soap and warm water with an emphasis on not leaving your oily fingerprint on it and comes with a scouring pad to keep it from getting shiny.
You can try a stainless steel polish but after extensive use an air compressed hand buffer would be the best way to clean the exhaust & tips.

Just had my Maxflo catback installed today; it's impressive and I like the new look! I will need to get used to the booming low-RPM noise as that comes with the territory. It sounds sweet (more like a 987.2 PSE, maybe louder) when I open it up!!

I noticed that after driving awhile, the exhaust tips settled a little and I would like to move them very slightly to line up again. Any tips on DIYing this? Thanks in advance!
Superchan7 I posted in your thread earlier today regarding the tip alignment.

I now have the Fabspeed race exhaust and sport headers on for 2 weeks now after having some issue with driver side header ( Fabspeed were great in taking care of me, excellent customer service and follow up) and am currently driving Cayman daily to make sure no leaks and that everything is "running " well. I love the system but it is by no means quiet!! It is exactly as Fabspeed says, a race exhaust and suggested for on the track only. It is very difficult to drive car normally without reverb and exhaust resonance! It does not matter what gear or rpm. Granted I also have a clear engine cover which I removed and put the OEM cover and noise deadening material back but made no real difference to sound!!! I have to admit I have used ear plugs on a few longer drives :) Don't get me wrong, I love the aggressive sound and note at idle and pull off, but after much thought I should have maybe gone with the maxflo first and "tested" the waters first. No video clip gives you what it will sound like unless you are in the Cayman and driving it or a passenger!! I had a performance Milltek catback exhaust previously but sound was not really more aggressive, I think a maxflo is in my near future.
Pony14 thank you for the compliments. I'm always here to help if you need to switch from the Race Exhaust to the Maxflo Muffler.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just came back from my first test drive and all I can say is AWESOME! It sounds nothing like the videos sound. Just as others have said, at WOT it sounds F1 like, and when you let off the gas you get a glorious burble ( I love the burble ).
Advice for those doing their own install : Have replacement stainless steel bolts for the exhaust manifolds, the pressed in studs are highly likely to break. I broke 2 on each side ( same two on each side ). There are many recommendations on what to do when they break, but I thought most were over-board and was surprised no one mentioned the tool and method I used: I went neanderthal on the studs and used a 2lb slide hammer, a few slaps with that baby after letting the studs soak in PB Blaster for a while and out they popped. No fuss, no trouble. You can get a slide hammer at Sears or Harbor Freight in the automotive sections. What's also nice about a slide hammer is they usually come with a kit that has attachments such as a punch that you thread on in case you broke the stud flush with the exhaust manifold.
I wouldn't use stainless steel bolts in a high heat application like exhaust studs on a manifold. Not meant to take that type of heat and will fail sooner than later.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I wouldn't use stainless steel bolts in a high heat application like exhaust studs on a manifold. Not meant to take that type of heat and will fail sooner than later.
Interesting, that is what is recommended by most including [email protected]
Any comments on this Fabspeed?

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Abed I believe the technicians would use coated steel (Wurth hardware) when the studs would fail. It's the same bolt that we include for the mounting bracket, just a bit longer.
Also thank you for the compliments regarding the Race Exhaust on your Spyder.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Abed I believe the technicians would use coated steel (Wurth hardware) when the studs would fail. It's the same bolt that we include for the mounting bracket, just a bit longer.
Also thank you for the compliments regarding the Race Exhaust on your Spyder.
Ok, cool, I stand corrected...I used the extra bolts you provided, so it sounds like I am fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I missed the boat...too late to grab a race exhaust for a 2012 Cayman R PDK? IF not let me know and I'll send the funds.
Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got my Fabspeed race exhaust installed by my local dealership. Sounds and looks great on my 06 CS. Will post video/pics as soon as I get a chance!

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Joey please PM me pricing if you can as well thanks
Mitter I sent you a PM for the Race Exhaust, let me know if you want the Maxflo Mufflers.

i'm also interested in pricing for the maxflo w/black tips shipped to 94560...thanks! :dance:
Just sent over--

you have both race and maxflo in stock?
JHoffman unfortunately these systems need to be fabricated before shipping and we have a 1-3 week delay as we are settling in to the new facility.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Arghh.. there's nothing worse than showing up to the party late. :eek:

After seeing that Maxflo exhaust I just might pass on the Carnewal system. Can you start another group buy? Pretty please with sugar on top?

·
Registered
122 Posts
How'd the install go? I am tempted to try this using ramps or jack stands... vs waiting to use a friends lift.
I have had the thing sitting in a box for a few weeks now and its driving me mad not to have it installed!:(

181 - 200 of 238 Posts