Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I last posted on Aug 17, 2012 on the previous page and just wanted to give an update. I have now driven to my favorite area 1200 plus mles away 3 additional times and love the Fabspeed Race exhaust.

I have done 3 things.
1) Added the 5 inch extensions as previously posted.
2) Also more recently I have learned how to drive better around the droning rpm range
3) and have also on the last long trip stuffed the back of the hatch area with crumpled up plastic bags (the ones we try to recycle from Walmart so they don't end up in the land fill).

The bags do not go on top of the engine so as to not block my rear view vision. I actually place a whole bunch of loosely crumbled small bags inside large bags and then only have a few large bags to remove at the end of my trip. I fluff the large bags to fill the whole area behind the engine. Virtually no weight to the bags, but perhaps they break up the sound waves somewhat of the resonance we hear inside the Cayman cabin. ( As previously posted the Boxter is not bothered as much as the Cayman.) I put my travel gear all in the frunk.

To drive around the drone I use the manual shift mode on my PDK a lot more than before, and usually use 4th and 5th gear on my favorite hilly and twisty roads. RPMs remain in the 3 to 5 K rpm range, no drone. Shift to 7th when the roads flatten, remain below 1800 rpm.

On long sections of interstate where the drone has previously been most annoying, perhaps the crumbled bags have made an effect or I have adjusted rpm. I modify my speed to avoid the constant drone at the same frequency when in 7th gear. I have also found that my drone starts at 1800 rpm and continues to 3000 rpm. So I sometimes drive at 62 mph in 7th gear (1775 rpm), or shift to 6th gear and drive at any speed so I don't get a ticket, while keeping the rpm at or above 3000 rpm. Even going for fuel economy on interstate stretches in 7th gear at speeds between 65 to 75 mph is no longer annoying to me because I once in a while change the speed to change the frequency of the drone.

I now have 9500 miles on my Cayman R and 5000 miles since I put the 5 inch extensions on and now would not trade the Fabspeed Race exhaust for anything. Thanks Fabspeed. My Porsche sounds like a Porsche should.
:dance:

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I last posted on Aug 17, 2012 on the previous page and just wanted to give an update. I have now driven to my favorite area 1200 plus mles away 3 additional times and love the Fabspeed Race exhaust......
I now have 9500 miles on my Cayman R and 5000 miles since I put the 5 inch extensions on and now would not trade the Fabspeed Race exhaust for anything. Thanks Fabspeed. My Porsche sounds like a Porsche should.
:dance:
Frank thank you for the compliments regarding the Race Exhaust. Have you noticed any major impact in MPG with the Race Exhaust? Back when I had a V8 Benz with long-tube headers and a muffler bypass, I had to cruise around 3000 RPM's to minimize the drone. I would record 26MPG cruising from Philadelphia to the Jersey shore. Before I changed the exhaust system the most I would record was 24 MPG.

Is race exhaust a street legal ?
Grandcarrera the Race Exhaust is street legal and you will pass emissions/inspections with this system installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The best fuel mileage with cruise set I can get is at 48 mph in 7th gear on a flat road, Highest ever over some distance was 36 mpg with stock and highest ever was 38 with Fabspeed Race. Done on different roads on different days.

On the interstate at 73 mphwith cruise set in 7th gear it is not so clear since it has varied between 31 and 34 with Fabspeed Race depending upon wind, slope, etc. It seems like 30 to 33 is what I got on stock exhaust from memory with less breakin on my car when it was new. So it seems like the same or possibly a litttle higher with Fabspeed at interstate speeds but I did not record data and have more variables than the 48 mph runs.

What I can with confidence say is that Fabspeed Race did not hurt fuel economy, and I think it may have helped slightly. But because I do not change exhaust back and forth and run back to back tests under the same exact conditions it is hard for me to quantify if there is an improvement.

The big benefit is the sound when shifting up and down.:dance:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought i would BUMP this thread for anyone looking for more info the Fabspeed Race Exhaust. Just so you know, that white CR in the video is my car and i still have the pipes on 38,000 miles later. Daily driven too! Love the way my car sounds :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought i would BUMP this thread for anyone looking for more info the Fabspeed Race Exhaust. Just so you know, that white CR in the video is my car and i still have the pipes on 38,000 miles later. Daily driven too! Love the way my car sounds :)
Ditto, love my fab speed race also! Could not image my cayman without it, thinking about going really loud and adding some headers to my fab speed with my exhuast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may be a dumb suggestion, but has anyone tried wrapping the Sport Cup Racing exhaust in fiberglass heat tape to see if it reduces the 2-3K RPM drone in the Cayman? I just installed my racing exhaust yesterday and wow, it sounds great but Wow, it shakes my fillings I the right rev range under load.
I know I can learn to live with the drone, But Id like it better if I could reduce it noticeably.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Haven't tried it but highly doubtful. I've had Fabspeed race for 4 years now.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Frank thank you for the compliments regarding the Race Exhaust. Have you noticed any major impact in MPG with the Race Exhaust? Back when I had a V8 Benz with long-tube headers and a muffler bypass, I had to cruise around 3000 RPM's to minimize the drone. I would record 26MPG cruising from Philadelphia to the Jersey shore. Before I changed the exhaust system the most I would record was 24 MPG.
Evan, this may be slightly unrelated, but when I had the Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Afterhours Mufflers, and EVOMS CAI installed on my C4S, I also saw an increase of about 2 MPG on the city and highway, even with crappy 91 octane. I'm not sure if I was dodging the drone or the engine just breathed much easier. Regardless, I'm going to have to do something to my 987CS, as my 911 was more fuel efficient!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Been looking at this upgrade. I live in Colorado and wondered if anyone has come across noise level problems? I understand that emissions won't be an issue in the race exhaust, but concerned about noise. Is the race exhaust truly in a different noise category than the maxflow option? Having to remove it because of noise infraction or just plain daily annoyance would be a pain. I love a good sound but not at the expense of daily enjoyment/being able to hear my music/passenger etc.
Also, wondered if the money to upgrade to new plenum and GT3 throttle body will provide the same results with the full Fabspeed system as it does with the more expensive FVD system? Fabspeed don't even offer plenum/throttle body on their upgrade options for 987.1 BS cars, so I'm wondering if it's because they don't get any worthwhile gains? If I install the plenum/throttle body, is the Fabspeed ECU tune done differently from a car without these parts?
For virtually the same price, I can go with FVD for the ECU flash, and have the tool included so I can fine tune the ECU for all future changes based on parts - their tool definitely has a different ECU map for cars with/without the plenum/throttle body, and offers nice gains with these parts.
I think Fabspeed is more competitive on pricing for the exhaust system, but maybe FVD (and actually owning the tool to save money on future flashes) is the better ECU option? I saw a Fabspeed video where a 2.7L 987 Boxster got 19.4 wheel HP gain from just the full exhaust system (no mention of ECU flash), and I'm told that with my 3.2L S car, that I'll only get another 4-6HP with the added ECU flash ($1000 for 5HP doesn't seem like a good ROI?) Thoughts?
Hope this makes sense, appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi,
I have the Fabspeed race. The exhaust is VERY loud. It's as close to straight pipe as you can get. I love it and don't mind the drone from 2-3k RPM range, but I can tell you that talking to others in that range is not easy, and forget listening to music at that RPM range.
The sound is fantastic though.
Fabspeed does have another exhaust that is not as loud. I don't have that one so can't speak to how it sounds or the drone.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the race 'cup' version is not for me. I wonder if the Maxflow is still really loud compared to say FVD 'sound' version?
Cheers.

Hi,
I have the Fabspeed race. The exhaust is VERY loud. It's as close to straight pipe as you can get. I love it and don't mind the drone from 2-3k RPM range, but I can tell you that talking to others in that range is not easy, and forget listening to music at that RPM range.
The sound is fantastic though.
Fabspeed does have another exhaust that is not as loud. I don't have that one so can't speak to how it sounds or the drone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance I could get this price now please? I recently purchased a 2010 Boxster S. If not, what would my price be for the maxflow? Thank you!

800 Posts
Any chance I could get this price now please? I recently purchased a 2010 Boxster S. If not, what would my price be for the maxflow? Thank you!
Hello! I'm sorry to say that this thread is 4 years old and does not have any relevant retail or discounted prices. Things have changed very much in the last 4 years. That being said here is a link to our Supercup and Maxflo system for the 987.2. We are currently offering 10% off the retail price this month only as part of a customer appreciation special. Please give me a call at 215 646 4945 (just ask for John Gaydos) for more details :)

Porsche 987.2 Boxster / Cayman Maxflo Performance Exhaust System - Fabspeed Motorsport

Porsche 987.2 Boxster / Cayman Supercup Race Exhaust System - Fabspeed Motorsport

221 - 238 of 238 Posts