Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/fvdnews2.jpg FVD, one of our Platinum sponsors is announcing a 20% off sale on all Gauge faceplates for all gauges for all Porsches. This sale, for Planet-9 members only, will coincide with our new article on how to remove your old gauge faceplate and install a new one. Click Here for the Article. FVD offers gauge faceplates in different colors and for different Porsches. In addition to the faceplates available for the primary instrument cluster, FVD also offers faceplates for the sports chrono stopwatch as well. (Look for an upcoming article on the installation of the sports chrono faceplate)

In order to receive the special Planet-9 discount pricing when you purchase via the FVD website you MUST fill in your Planet-9 username into the Message field in the online order form. The alternative is to provide your Planet-9 member name to Rhonda at FVD if you order by phone.

Link to Cayman Gauge Faces at FVD (note that sale applies to all gauges so feel free to select other models if you don't own a Cayman)

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
mihink

+1 on that .fantastic Article :)

20% off ..now we are getting somewhere ! 630.00 retail so 20% off = $504.00

My only question Ken is the retainer rings . did you just cut them partially and squeeze and pull ? can you elaborate a little on this part ,The rest seems easy to me :)

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: mihink

+1 on that .fantastic Article :)

20% off ..now we are getting somewhere ! 630.00 retail so 20% off = $504.00

My only question Ken is the retainer rings . did you just cut them partially and squeeze and pull ? can you elaborate a little on this part ,The rest seems easy to me :)
You can do it 2 ways, one is to cut a small segment out of the ring, say 1-2mm at one point in the ring and then try to squeeze together and pull out. Perhaps with some special watch making tools I could have done it that way, but I tried that and wasn't having much luck. So, I resorted to the next method and that is to take a 1mm segment out of the ring at 2 points 180 degrees opposite of each other. That allows you to separately squeeze each half-ring in enough to get them to pop out of the hole they are in. The good news is that when re-inserted they still go in and clip and hold everything down just fine. It's not hard, you just want to be careful cutting if you plan to save your old gauge faceplate to make sure you don't do anything harmful to it. I was very careful in my cutting, use a sharp knife, make a tiny cut, it is really all you need.

Yes you have that pricing correct btw. They are getting the sports chrono faces and pricing online shortly along with some more options and again, this 20% off is across all faceplates for all models/years, it doesn't have to be a Cayman, you just have to have a P9 account.

I figure saving $126 is a good thing... actually the MSRP is $740 so you're saving 20% off the sale price or $236 overall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Love the article but how can they cost that much? Just the price makes me wonder if I'm paying for the product or the fact that I own a Porsche.

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the article but how can they cost that much? Just the price makes me wonder if I'm paying for the product or the fact that I own a Porsche.
My guess, from looking at the faceplates is the level of detail needed to pull these off right, the different materials inserted inside other materials, the exact printing and the fact that these are a low volume item probably doesn't help either. I saw another brand a couple of years ago at a PCA event and it was about 1/2 the price but it looked like it was worth 1/20th the price when you looked at it in detail, it just wasn't well made vs. these from FVD that if someone didn't tell you it wasn't from the factory you'd never know it. If I recall FVD has a blurb on their site comparing their gauge faceplates with a competitors so you can see the difference. What's the price from Porsche new? - $690 for the option from Porsche so yeah you can save money by not ordering that option and doing it yourself later, at the time I ordered my car that option wasn't even available.

But to answer your question, if these were for a Camaro they like would cost less because they would make a gajillion of them and the price per unit would come down. So yeah, owning a Porsche doesn't help. :hilarious:

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny,
Followed your link but can't find Speed Yellow in MPH only KPH?
It should be there I would think maybe call Rhonda directly at FVD and ask, I know she was still getting some listed online, maybe she doesn't have that one listed yet?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ken,

Could you also check with Rhonda to see if there was a way we could do colored for the central Rev counter and white for the sides like Ferrari??? That would be sweet! Like yellow large center with whites flanking.

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I think about it the next time I talk with her, but really she needs to hear stuff like that from the members who would be interested in it. I don't know if this would be a one-off or if it could be done in some other way so it's probably best if you contact her directly and cut me out as the middle man. :) That way you two can discuss options and back and forth that I simply wouldn't know. Sounds like an interesting idea though!

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
K-Man S

I noticed that the stock speedo goes to 190 MPH the FVD goes to 180 .
also my 2.7 liter only goes to 175 .ALL The Redlines look to be the same at 7200

are there any issues with this ? have you driven your car yet and is the MPH correct ? thanks ,I am really digging this mod ;)

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: K-Man S

also my 2.7 liter only goes to 175 .ALL The Redlines look to be the same at 7200

are there any issues with this ? have you driven your car yet and is the MPH correct ? thanks ,I am really digging this mod ;)
I think you missed my earlier answer to that, the one I installed was simply a test unit to get through the installation. The final unit will be identical (go to 190, etc.) as the stock unit. The final unit wasn't ready yet in speed yellow so they sent me a substitute from a prior gen car to use for the article. I should probably notate that in the article if I forgot to do so.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Re: K-Man S

Hey Ken,

Suggestion on how you guys can get some money back, i have a white 2.7 Boxster and only looking to change to white face.. would you or anyone switching to pvd let me know if any of you guys will be selling your oem white face?:)

Alex

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
They look great!
Only problem is I don't see anything for 2009+
Everything is for the 987.1
Do we know if they will make any for the 987.2? I would love to get a Guards Red version for my Spyder.
Here's a Guards Red PDK

·
Administrator
34,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They look great!
Do we know if they will make any for the 987.2? I would love to get a Guards Red version for my Spyder.
Here's a Guards Red PDK
Again, you need to call Rhonda at FVD directly and ask her, I know she didn't have all the years/combos listed up on the site yet, so if you don't see something, don't assume they don't have it, instead give them a call! :)

·
Vendor
290 Posts
I would like to thank K-Man S for this incredible article. The depth and detail is simply wonderful and FVD Brombacher sincerely appreciates all of his efforts.

I will be happy to answer all of your questions and will be checking this thread daily. So please direct your questions my way. If you would like you can call me directly at 800-274-2220 Ext. 14 or email me at [email protected]

K-Man S explanation is exactly right. These faces are very detailed and take considerable amounts of time to make. They are produced in Germany as well so the labor is expensive not to mention they are made in limited amounts.

Funny,
Followed your link but can't find Speed Yellow in MPH only KPH?
Here is the link for the speed yellow faces in MPH for the 6 speed…

FVD Brombacher Online Shop

Here is the link for the speed yellow sport chrono face…

FVD Brombacher Online Shop

Ken,

Could you also check with Rhonda to see if there was a way we could do colored for the central Rev counter and white for the sides like Ferrari??? That would be sweet! Like yellow large center with whites flanking.
I just checked with our supplier, they said that they won’t be able to do that unfortunately. It would be very difficult to produce as the three faces are on one “plate”.

We will be making the faces in 190 mph from now on. I will check with our supplier for the 2.7 L going to 175 to see if there will be any issues. I will get back to you in the next few days.

They look great!
Here's a Guards Red PDK
We are working on the 2009+ Boxsters and Caymans as we speak. I would expect them in 4 weeks or so. I will be extending this sale for 2 months or more so that we can accommodate everyone.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
We are working on the 2009+ Boxsters and Caymans as we speak. I would expect them in 4 weeks or so. I will be extending this sale for 2 months or more so that we can accommodate everyone.
Awesome! The second you get a Guards Red face for a Manual Boxster Spyder, I'll be ordering!!!
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts