Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Carnewal GT exhaust arrived yesterday for my 2010 Boxster Base. I put the car on ramps Thursday night, and hit the all the requisite bolts with PB Blaster. I'm a little concerned with the header-to-muffler nuts. I've got a 3/8-3/8 universal adapter, but these things seem really tricky to deal with. I also noticed that one of the studs and nuts was missing from the drivers side flange, which probably explains why I've had an endearing off-throttle burble since I bought the car CPO with 36K. I've replaced pads and rotors on this car, so I do have some mechanical inclination, but I have to admit that the close quarters and lack of wrench room has me thinking about taking it to my mechanic. I can't help but think that having the car on a lift and being able to stand while you go at those bolts standing would not make the job easier.

What do ya'll think? Should I shimmy under the car and give it a go, or take it to my mechanic?

Thanks for your insights!

Mike

·
Caymudgeon
711 Posts
You can DIY but that one missing stud is going to create some extra work for you if you choose to replace it. The studs are pressed into the exhaust flange and on some there is a tack weld on the head of the stud. Hit the weld with a dremmel and then press out the stud. You might be able to do this in place but it will be a lot easier and probably save time overall if you remove the header. To press out the stud, use a socket placed over the head of the stud and a C clamp to push the stud thru the flange into the socket. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I feel your pain! I’ve had 3 exhausts in and off. The small 1/4 in flex sockets are good as shown, plus a wobble extension is handy. When I broke a stud I drilled it out with a right angle drill and replaced the stud with grade 8 stainless steel bolts. I also used stainless nuts in the intact studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I recently replaced my cat back exhaust and feel your pain. I did have the car on jacks with wheels off and that made the job so much easier.

Having correct open ended spanners also helped

Doing my headers this weekend and that may be more challenging

Anyone replace stock headers lately? any pointers?

seems straight forward.. PB blast...loosen 8 bolts, unplug O2 sensors.. move O2 sensors over..

Am I missing anything?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.