Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Edited to add: Sorry I put this in the wrong forum...should be in Cayman forum).

Hello All,

First let me say how informative and fun this site is. Second, the respect you all show each-other is very refreshing compared to many forums.

At 59, I don't yet own a Porsche; but will, within the year, be able to purchase what I feel is the most beautiful piece of technology and art on four wheels: the Cayman S.

I have a general question: What degree of modification from stock can be done (if any) before you void your warranty? For example the "Dream 1", simple tail-pipe modification that is added to the stock exhaust system and mufflers. Can something this simple, void your warranty? I imagine a whole new aftermarket exhaust system would. How about a more "breathable" intake air filter add-on? .....sorry, it looks like I stepped out of "general" and into "specific". But like my mother always said: "I'm no damn good";). She never really said that; and though she died when I was seventeen, I remember when the subjection ever came up, she would say that the Porsche was her favorite car. So, I guess it's genetic. I can't help myself; I'm no damn good.

jt:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Welcome to the club - I moved your thread to the Cayman Mods

Regarding mods: In the U.S. we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, which in essence states with regard to automobile warranties:

"Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure."
(from "Keeping your Mod's Warranty Intact" on Dummies.com)

Of course, a dealer can threaten to deny your warranty for any reason they want, and some dealers are definitely less "mod-friendly" than others; however, according to the law, they have to be able to show that your part or modification was installed incorrectly, or directly contributed to the failure of some related part. So for example, they can't deny your whole warranty just because you put on an aftermarket exhaust system. However, say you put on lowering springs, and then subsequently sustain a strut failure, they then may claim that your spring installation led to the failure of the struts.

Many members here have done extensive mods to their cars (it's like some sort of contagion I think :D), and some have still had major repairs made under warranty. As I said, it has a lot to do with specific dealers, and your relationship with them. Many Porsche dealers in fact, will install aftermarket parts like exhausts and other items. If you are really concerned, then checking with your local service manager or advisor regarding a specific mod might make your decision easier.

See also: http://www.planet-9.com/faq.php?faq=qanda#faq_warrantyqa

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, KS-CS.

This forum is a gold mine of good information. I'm sure when it comes down to my own purchase, I'll be way ahead of the game.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Remember, however, that the fine print of most warranties states that the maintenance item must meet the manufacturers specifications. The Magnuson-Moss act does prevent the manufacturer from specifying their item, but it does not prevent the manufacturer from setting the specifications for certain items.
I am kind of new to Porsche myself, but I do know that Ford can and does deny warranty claims for improper oil filters. The OEM filter has a back flow preventing check valve in it. If you use an aftermarket filter without the check valve, pray you don't have engine trouble....Most manufacturers are probably the same when it comes to that.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I think the back flow valve you're referring to in the oil filter is a bypass valve. If the filter is plugged sufficiently to reduce flow the valve opens thus keeping oil supplied to the engine. This being why only changing filters every second oil change etc is being penny wise and so on.

You'd only run into this particular issue on a Cayman if you made a mod to use spin on filters. The Cayman uses a cartridge with the valve being external in the bowl.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Greywolf, thank you for the information about the by-pass valve in the Cayman filter cartridge as I had considered the spin-on-filter modification.
Carmona Red

1 - 6 of 6 Posts