Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning in my BGTS I got a "Minimum Oil Level Reached - Do Not Drive" warning. When I checked the oil level just last Fri it was 1 bar below full, where it's been since I picked up the car 3500 miles ago. I was pretty sure it wasn't really low, but then again nothing says the oil plug didn't fall out, so I pulled over and sat in the rain trying to figure out what to do next. After calling my wife to come get me, I kept turning the car off and back on every couple of minutes. After about 10 min the warning light was gone, and the oil level read full. I drove to work, drove to lunch, and at the end of the day drove home (30 min) without any further problems. Back in my garage the oil level was still at 3 bars (one below top), just like's it's been for months.

Searching the archives, it appears something like this happens once in a while. Nothing to worry about, or call the dealer? For those who have experienced it, did it reoccur?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Is it just me or am I noticing a trend for higher oil consumption and/or warnings for the GTS versions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happened to me. I parked on the shoulder & walked to an auto parts store which was across the street. Having not seen several quarts of oil on my garage floor before departing, I bought a quart, funnel & some paper towels, poured it in, waited & the warning went away. So, I assume it's just a system fault/error. Rather annoying when you don't have a dipstick.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Happened to me. I parked on the shoulder & walked to an auto parts store which was across the street. Having not seen several quarts of oil on my garage floor before departing, I bought a quart, funnel & some paper towels, poured it in, waited & the warning went away. So, I assume it's just a system fault/error. Rather annoying when you don't have a dipstick.
As reported elsewhere "overfilling" is easy to do and NOT good by adding a full Qt all at once. If sensor was just misbehaving, then one will need to then drain at filter to get back to green. Ugh - trip to Dealer :(.

Seems that being patient if no drips are evident is best short term approach.

I never add more than most 8 oz at a time even when adjusting (if needed) up to one BAR down after oil/filter change.

:cheers:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Isn't technology great?

Tire pressure indicator told me that left rear tire was 6 lbs. low. Checked with a reliable gauge and it was at correct pressure. Go figure!

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2014 Cayman has just given me the red light of no oil! I checked levels yesterday and was one bar from the top. No puddles to speak of on garage floor. Tow truck arriving now. No car I have ever owned has done this to me. Very unhappy. Off to the dealers we go.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been struggling with oil issues, too. Just last night, though, I was thinking, "I think this thing is finally settling in" since it has been sitting at three bars for quite some time now (I "check" it every drive, before I set off to drive and sometimes before I park it). Anyway, I shut it off after a short-trip (< 2 miles) to pick up some dinner and when I returned to the car, I check it, and it was at the minimal oil level (just the triangle at the bottom lit). I was pissed -- how the heck does this stupid thing go from three bars to none in 2 miles, that's not possible! This morning, back to three bars again?!

So, what am I supposed to believe? Nearly a quart of oil was sitting in my engine from the short drive and not wherever the sensor is...? I mean, is that possible?

Man, I defended this stupid electronic dip-stick (emphasis on the dip!), but I am quickly changing my mind!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah something weird is going on. Just had a call from the dealer asking if I have ever added oil (which I have not since last being serviced). The dealer dropped the oil and found there to be 0.9lt too much in the sump which indicates that the car was over filled at last service. The car has been at the dealer now for 4 days.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When the oil is changed, how to confirm the right amount is replaced.... just by measure? There's no way to top off reliably?

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I've been struggling with oil issues, too. Just last night, though, I was thinking, "I think this thing is finally settling in" since it has been sitting at three bars for quite some time now (I "check" it every drive, before I set off to drive and sometimes before I park it). Anyway, I shut it off after a short-trip (< 2 miles) to pick up some dinner and when I returned to the car, I check it, and it was at the minimal oil level (just the triangle at the bottom lit). I was pissed -- how the heck does this stupid thing go from three bars to none in 2 miles, that's not possible! This morning, back to three bars again?!

So, what am I supposed to believe? Nearly a quart of oil was sitting in my engine from the short drive and not wherever the sensor is...? I mean, is that possible?

Man, I defended this stupid electronic dip-stick (emphasis on the dip!), but I am quickly changing my mind!
Not sure if this is contributing, but you are not supposed to check the level unless the engine is at operating temp.

So you shouldn't be checking "before I set off to drive", and not after just 2 miles either. To get an accurate measure car needs to be level, engine must be at operating temperature, and engine turned off for about 1 minute (and rear hatch not recently opened, too).

You might be get be getting false reading if these conditions aren't met.

PS unless you have a 987, which you can check with the engine cold.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
When the oil is changed, how to confirm the right amount is replaced.... just by measure? There's no way to top off reliably?
One of the many reasons why eliminating the real dipstick is an annoyance that boggles the mind. To clarify, once the engine has reached operating temperature, the electronic read resets to what should be the truth at that moment. Then, it artificially retains that old reading regardless of whether it's still accurate AND regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold until the back hatch is opened for a time perceived to be long enough to have possibly put in some additional oil (not that you have to actually add oil to shut off the old reading--all you have to do is open the hatch for a short while). It's such a complex inaccurate pain in the neck, and could this nonsense really cost Porsche less money than having a hole in the block with a metal stick in the hole, as was the case in all cars for a century? I doubt it. Arguably, removing the dipstick in a Camry makes some sense. After all . . . when is the last time your wife actually checked the oil of any car using a real dipstick? I'm not sure my wife knows what a dipstick is. But Porsche???? It's just nuts!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Holy cow....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure if this is contributing, but you are not supposed to check the level unless the engine is at operating temp.

So you shouldn't be checking "before I set off to drive", and not after just 2 miles either. To get an accurate measure car needs to be level, engine must be at operating temperature, and engine turned off for about 1 minute (and rear hatch not recently opened, too).

You might be get be getting false reading if these conditions aren't met.

PS unless you have a 987, which you can check with the engine cold.
Possible, but as 2015CS said below you, it appears the last "most accurate" value read by the sensor is retained until/unless the hatch is popped open long enough to cause the ECU to revert to the "no oil information available" message. So, my hope would be that the "most accurate" value retained by the system, to be displayed before I set off to drive, would be one taken (hopefully) by the ECU "one minute" after I park it in my level garage at operating temp and shut it down for the night. Which is to say, I'd hope I don't have to wait one minute and manually ask the system to check the oil. Rather, I'd hope it just auto-magically does it itself and retains the value for the next time I want to check it (which would be the next morning before I set off). Were I designing the system, that's what I'd do -- of course, I'd also probably timestamp the value and show it to the user along with the level so they know when the level they are looking at was read...but I guess that's too damn much to ask, lol (though maybe it's stored in the ECU and readable with a diagnostic tool?).

That said, I haven't seen the min level again, and I've kept checking it. So, hopefully it's sticking with the three bars level. Maybe I'll pop the hatch for a bit tonight to force it to re-read when the car is up to temp next time and see what happens.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well, since the system isn't designed with that level of sophistication I'd stick to following the very simple and precise instructions for checking it if an accurate reading is desired. I'm not a fan of the sensor-only option either, but given that's my only option I can play within the rule set we've been given. I don't think a value is stored until it either is back to some parameter or the hatch is popped, but then miraculously updated once new parameters are met. The advice I've seen here and elsewhere is follow the instructions, be consistent, and then draw comparative conclusions. Cautiously.

Unless somehow a car is burning oil at a phenomenal rate, I don't get the desire or need to check it twice per drive or anything remotely like that. Nobody does that with a dipstick, so it's just the ease of pushing a button that makes this seem remotely reasonable to us. Every "once in a while" seems like more than enough absent any usage issues, plus a couple times after an oil change for peace of mind. Again, following the simple instructions might help with that.

I use each new occurrence of a why-does-my-level fluctuate thread as a reminder for "once in a while", and feel pretty safe.....

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Possible, but as 2015CS said below you, it appears the last "most accurate" value read by the sensor is retained until/unless the hatch is popped open long enough to cause the ECU to revert to the "no oil information available" message. So, my hope would be that the "most accurate" value retained by the system, to be displayed before I set off to drive, would be one taken (hopefully) by the ECU "one minute" after I park it in my level garage at operating temp and shut it down for the night. Which is to say, I'd hope I don't have to wait one minute and manually ask the system to check the oil. Rather, I'd hope it just auto-magically does it itself and retains the value for the next time I want to check it (which would be the next morning before I set off). Were I designing the system, that's what I'd do -- of course, I'd also probably timestamp the value and show it to the user along with the level so they know when the level they are looking at was read...but I guess that's too damn much to ask, lol (though maybe it's stored in the ECU and readable with a diagnostic tool?).

That said, I haven't seen the min level again, and I've kept checking it. So, hopefully it's sticking with the three bars level. Maybe I'll pop the hatch for a bit tonight to force it to re-read when the car is up to temp next time and see what happens.
Just to point out, there's nothing in the manual about a need to open the hatch to reset the sensor. It just says if the engine is cold and you open the hatch, it will not give a reading (so you don't add oil to cold engine and then get a false reading while it makes it way down). Once the engine is at operating temp, it **should** give you an accurate read.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, since the system isn't designed with that level of sophistication I'd stick to following the very simple and precise instructions for checking it if an accurate reading is desired. I'm not a fan of the sensor-only option either, but given that's my only option I can play within the rule set we've been given. I don't think a value is stored until it either is back to some parameter or the hatch is popped, but then miraculously updated once new parameters are met. The advice I've seen here and elsewhere is follow the instructions, be consistent, and then draw comparative conclusions. Cautiously.

Unless somehow a car is burning oil at a phenomenal rate, I don't get the desire or need to check it twice per drive or anything remotely like that. Nobody does that with a dipstick, so it's just the ease of pushing a button that makes this seem remotely reasonable to us. Every "once in a while" seems like more than enough absent any usage issues, plus a couple times after an oil change for peace of mind. Again, following the simple instructions might help with that.

I use each new occurrence of a why-does-my-level fluctuate thread as a reminder for "once in a while", and feel pretty safe.....

The reason I check so much is to increase my trust in it, therefore I want to see how self-consistent the reading I get is. But, the car does consume oil so that necessitates my checking it at least occasionally; my curiosity provokes the rest, lol. Plus, up until that odd drop, it had been gaining my trust, being pretty consistent and acting as expected (e.g. I add a pint, and the next time it has a reading for me I find that I've gained a green bar). So, despite my not using it precisely as the manual has stated, I have been getting reasonable results -- until this one time.
Just to point out, there's nothing in the manual about a need to open the hatch to reset the sensor. It just says if the engine is cold and you open the hatch, it will not give a reading (so you don't add oil to cold engine and then get a false reading while it makes it way down). Once the engine is at operating temp, it **should** give you an accurate read.
I'm sure there's not, but it does seem like opening the hatch for "long enough" will "reset" the reading; I didn't say it did anything to reset the sensor.

My guess is that the manual is a loose reflection of what the system actually does. Having an IT background, I know, for a variety of reasons, many times manuals are not always aligned exactly with the code developers wrote. One reason is that often a watered down interpretation, comprehensible to a lay user, is preferable to absolute accuracy requiring verbosity extending beyond what most users could ingest. So, rather than take the manual at face value, I experiment to try and decipher what the system is doing; it interests me. Unfortunately for me, since the car had been losing about a pint or two of oil every 2-3k, I had plenty of opportunity to experiment.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently read a Car and Driver article with their long-term, 40k Cayman S. They had the exact same problem and over filled the oil pan. It seems there are a fair number of malfunctioning sensors out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts