Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be an intermittent :confused: issue, but recently (over the last few weeks) I've noticed a fan occasionally cycling on and off every few minutes. It will run for maybe 15 - 30 seconds every minute or so. This will happen with the engine cold, hot, whatever. It has not happened the last several days, but occurred quite a number of times for several days last week. It sounds like this is from a fan in the front of the car (are there fans for the front radiators?) and it pretty much sounds like a shop vac running.

Any ideas on a cause? My primary concern is the intermittent nature and trying to track the issue down if there is a problem. Could the thermostat be going bad? The temp gauge hasn't budged, but I know it's not all that sensitive...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Count me in on this one. Hot, cold, does not matter. Now; that being said, it has not happened in the last couple of weeks. I suppose it is better off running too much than not enough. I will continue to listen. Anybody else?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello. The fan you are hearing is probably the cooling fan located on the right side of the car behind the cooling vent grill aft of the passenger door. (it looks just like the air intake grill on the drivers side). As I understand it when the engine compartment becomes too warm/hot this fan will come on to draw in cool air from the outside to cool the engine compartment. In stop and go traffic it will probably come on more frequently to cool the engine compartment.
Carmona Red

·
Registered
568 Posts
I do not believe it is the engine compartment fan. Speedy is correct IMO. The fan(s) noise is coming from the front of the car. It comes on for 10-15 seconds and only runs for 30 seconds and then stops. Then about 30 seconds later the process repeats itself. It is especially odd when the fan comes on right after (1 minute) starting the engine. The temperature gauge has barely moved at all from "cold". When I get home the temperature gauge is straight up at 175 and by holding my hand up to the vent on the passenger side vent does not feel unusually warm/hot. I mentioned this to my service rep about a week ago and he did not seem to concerned. This happened for 5-6 days straight, but has not happened in the last week!? Very strange indeed.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
some cars make a cooling fan come on with the a/c compressor and some a/c units will cycle on/off...check that the compressor "off" light is on. if the front fans come on cold/engine off...all bets are off...see dealer or put a scan tool on it

·
Registered
806 Posts
Do you have the A/C on? The AC condenser has a fan. It's located on one side or the other, in the front, in the same opening as the radiator. It's possible that the AC system thinks the condenser is too hot and is turning on the fan.

Next time it comes on, check the front of the car and see which side is on. That will help diagnose the issue. Like I said, it might be an AC issue rather than an engine cooling issue.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The fan(s) noise is coming from the front of the car (I have confirmed it is the radiator fan - Speedy). It comes on for 10-15 seconds and only runs for 30 seconds and then stops. Then about 30 seconds later the process repeats itself.
This is a very accurate description. I have made an appointment with the dealer - he was able to get me in tomorrow morning - and I'll report the results of the visit, if any.

some cars make a cooling fan come on with the a/c compressor and some a/c units will cycle on/off...check that the compressor "off" light is on. if the front fans come on cold/engine off...all bets are off...see dealer or put a scan tool on it
I will add a note that at least in my case I have observed this to occur with the AC "off." This is a good point to raise, however. Downshift also notes this, and I will make sure to confirm the AC is not on if it occurs again. I may turn the AC on and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I have had the same problem for a couple years on my 2007 CS. The AC is off and, often, the car has been parked (idle) for 6 or more hours in moderate temperatures (50 to 60 degrees), yet upon starting the ignition, the fan will come on for a minute or so. Other times, it happens when I am in street traffic traveling at speeds only up to 40 MPH. I may be stopped at a traffic light and hear the fan, or it may come on as I am riding along. Complicating the diagnosis, I have auto-crossed the car and NOT had the fan come on. I have asked three dealers to inspect the fans and they insist there is nothing wrong; of course, the fan never comes on when they're driving it.

QUESTION: could there be some malfunction that causes overheating and, if I can't find a remedy, could the engine suffer damage in the long-run? I can put up with the fan noise, annoying as it is, but would hate to think that damage could be occurring.

POSSIBLY RELATED: I frequently smell a burning odor coming from the wheel wells, even after the tame rides I mentioned above. Again, three dealers claim it never happens on their watch and they can't do anything about it. I have one more year of warrantee yet, but seem to have run out of dealers (actually, one was an independent shop I paid to investigate this...

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have heard back from the dealer and the driver's side radiator fan is not working. This will be replaced under warranty. They're going to over-night the part and I should be back on the road tomorrow morning.

For those of you experiencing similar issues, you may want to get things checked out and see if both fans are working.

I'll post more if there are any further developments.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Speedy,

Your symptoms mirror mine, but my dealer insists the fan is fine. Can you give me the name of your dealer? It may be worth my making a trip there.

Thanks,

MJP27

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speedy,

Your symptoms mirror mine, but my dealer insists the fan is fine. Can you give me the name of your dealer? It may be worth my making a trip there.

Thanks,

MJP27
Sure - my dealer is Leith Porsche in Cary, NC. It would be a bit of a drive for you.

Maybe you can get your dealer to call Leith's service department about the issue? I can get you contact information for the service rep and probably the tech as well if you think it would help.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was it ever determine if the problem fan was in the front or back? Thanks
Yes. It was the front (drivers side) radiator fan which burned out. It was replaced and I've had no further issues to date.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the response. It is a bit weird. I have a similar situation whereby the fan will come on with a COLD start stay on for a few minutes then go off. Also, noticed a few times during the drive but that is understandable. While in the car, it sounds like the fan is coming from the back. But now not sure. I will get out of the vehicle to determine. Is there a fan located in the back? Thanks,

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep - the engine cooling fan is located behind the side vent on the passenger side.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have heard back from the dealer and the driver's side radiator fan is not working. This will be replaced under warranty. They're going to over-night the part and I should be back on the road tomorrow morning.

For those of you experiencing similar issues, you may want to get things checked out and see if both fans are working.

I'll post more if there are any further developments.
I'm having the same issues with the fan on the driver's side front - cycling on even when cold - but your result from the dealer is confusing - "fan is not working" - is it in fact a thermostat or some sub-assembly that is the problem, clearly the fan is working...help?

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm having the same issues with the fan on the driver's side front - cycling on even when cold - but your result from the dealer is confusing - "fan is not working" - is it in fact a thermostat or some sub-assembly that is the problem, clearly the fan is working...help?
Sorry, my description may not have been too clear. There are two fans, one in each fender, and in my case one of the fans quit working. The other fan was therefore running more often, and harder, to try and make up the difference.

So what may well be happening in your case is the passenger side fan has failed, so the thermostat is working the drivers side fan overtime to compensate.

I hope this clarifies/helps!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry, my description may not have been too clear. There are two fans, one in each fender, and in my case one of the fans quit working. The other fan was therefore running more often, and harder, to try and make up the difference.
That makes sense, but why would the fan come on when cold? My right side fan is coming on when cold or hot, it makes no difference. This happened on a 944 Turbo I had & it was a faulty fan switch, which screws directly into the radiator tank. Does anyone know if the Cayman has the same type of switch?

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That makes sense, but why would the fan come on when cold? My right side fan is coming on when cold or hot, it makes no difference. This happened on a 944 Turbo I had & it was a faulty fan switch, which screws directly into the radiator tank. Does anyone know if the Cayman has the same type of switch?
Good question, and unfortunately I don't have an answer.

Maybe the fans are "hard-wired" to run continuously if the other fan quits? Not sure this makes sense, but I guess it's possible...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts