Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a few brushes with this so far, but today was the most noticeable. I parked at the tennis court and starting hitting. 10-15mins into it, I hear the whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of the fans start up. As I was in a pretty hard set, I didn't really pay attention to it. After the set was over, the fans were STILL running and the car barely (barely) cranked over. Weather was mid 60s and it was a 5 minute drive to the courts. The car is 3 months old and sits on a tender 5 days a week. I see a similar thread from last year; I suppose it's time to email the dealership :(

I'm thinking I should probably flash my stock map before bringing it in...thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
This happens from time to time with my 2010 CS. I can never really tell for how long or when, I simply ignore it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
My fans have come on with the engine off only a handful of times in very hot conditions after two years of ownership.

Definitely don't ignore it if comes on often in "cooler" conditions. A defective switch or sensor can let that fan drain your battery in a hurry. Not a good thing when on the road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Initially when I got my car from Uk to Cyprus the funs were going off all the time while parked. Not much later I belive the cars electronics adapted to the new higher temps and now I hardy notice the funs while parked.

Another friend had his over from UK a few days ago and we being out on the same drive. On park his fans would not stop for some time where mine were at rest.

I think driving time will sort it out!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
sounds like it has to go back to dealer and i would think they would hook up to the ECM .if there is a chance they can "see" your flash they might not work on it.....a question for you ...why flash a 3 mo. old weekend only driver car ?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like it has to go back to dealer and i would think they would hook up to the ECM .if there is a chance they can "see" your flash they might not work on it.....a question for you ...why flash a 3 mo. old weekend only driver car ?
Because...it's my weekend car ;) I'm still deciding what route to actually go with the Cayman, but won't start on anything major until next year (if ever).

The dealer contacted me and said to bring it in, flashed and all, and that it should not pose a problem. Crossing my fingers.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if you would please let us know what the fix was ...tanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now that it's getting hot in Texas, my 2010 CS does the same thing, even if I make sure to let the car run a bit at idle before shutting it off. I'm thinking it's normal behavior (albeit kind of disconcerting), unless it's doing it in cool weather.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
It has only done it once to me about 3 minutes after I turned the car off, and it was about 95 degrees outside and I had been driving around town. It was on for about 1-2 minutes and that's it.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Is you car a 6-speed manual or PDK? I know one owner with a Tiptronic (apple and oranges I know) that whose fan goes on all the time even though we just drove the same route on group drives.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,

just adding my observations on this. I bought a brand new base 2010 pdk cayman which recently arrived at my dealer from the UK 2days ago. Today I went to visit my croc and also noticed and felt the fans (right hand side) whirring away even 15mins after the key has been taken out of the ignition.

I got a tad worried and trawled this forum for research on this matter. After reading a couple of threads and posts here, I hope with all my heart that this is indeed normal behaviour and the croc is just breathing a bit heavily due to the tropically hot weather where I am. (27 - 35 degrees celcius) :) *nervous smile* I suppose I'd better have a good car battery to support such heavy breathing

So chalk me up as another Cayman owner with enthusiastic fans :)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
To the OP, I see you have a 2009 car. Our '09 Boxster has the fans stay on a lot longer after the engine is shut off, and the fans occassionally come back on spontaneously long after the engine is shut off. Our 2008 has never had the fans come on spontaneously after shut-off. So it looks like Porsche has made a software change on the 2009+ models for engine fan control.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I suppose I'd better have a good car battery to support such heavy breathing
That was the thought that entered my mind. Those fans suck a lot of current. I concluded a battery tender is relatively more important in some use conditions for 2009+ cars than it would be to earlier cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts