Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my GT4 steering wheel on the Cayman today. The install took less time than finding a thread on how to remove the SD wheel, a total of about 10 minutes between taking the old one off and putting the new one on. Nice juxtaposition to the month and a bit it took waiting for the airbag after the initial three week wait for the steering wheel itself:

IMG_1345_zpspjnaln6l.jpg IMG_1340_zpsbmmc7gep.jpg

The wheel is bit smaller in diameter than the SD wheel and grip is slightly thinner -- fine with the former and slightly displeased with the latter (but I'll live with it). All in all, very happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
damn you. that was my next mod...
Could you share price or maybe instruction? It looks nice, I have had this S-wheel on the Macan and very much like it.
For now I am busy with GT4 Mirror and CF interior trims.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is another thread on steering wheel removal and it is all the instruction needed: http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/105364-981-steering-wheel-replacement-diy.html

The hardest part is finding the spring to released the airbag on the existing wheel. The rest is straight-forward: release airbag, unplug connectors, remove bolt, remove wheel, put on new wheel, bolt, plug, push on airbag. My experience on Audis, BMWs, and Porsches: while everyone says disconnect the battery, I never do and the airbag doesn't pop accidentally. Of course, I've jinxed it now.....

Up next is the duck-tail. Not sure if the GT4 or Spyder one will work best with my car. Hope to disable the wing movement, but who knows....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I installed my GT4 steering wheel
Looks nice. I'm still happy with my Sport Design wheel, but I really like your center pad / horn button. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I wish this wheel would fit on my Audi.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Looks good ... I had thought about doing this because the stock Sport Design wheel feels too large for me ... Does the shiny metallic part of the wheel match the shiny faux metal of the air vents? I already have the brushed aluminum accents and don't really want a third type of silver metal in the cabin ...
:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Looks good ... I had thought about doing this because the stock Sport Design wheel feels too large for me ... Does the shiny metallic part of the wheel match the shiny faux metal of the air vents? I already have the brushed aluminum accents and don't really want a third type of silver metal in the cabin ...
Looks good! Is it really smaller in diameter?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plastic-metal (oxymoron, I know) on the wheel looks pretty close to the vents. Regardless, it is much, much nicer than the SD wheel plastic. And the black part of the SD wheel drove me nuts -- it looks like they were pretending that it hollow there....

Looks good! Is it really smaller in diameter?
Yeah. It looks it in pictures and I can verify it is, although not by a lot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great job with this!

I may be able to answer the above question. The Porsche dealer mentioned to me that he would install the GT4 wheel to my Boxster when it arrives. My Boxster has PDK ordered with the standard sports wheel (which has paddles) so I'm assuming that the PDK paddles will work with this wheel :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great job with this!

I may be able to answer the above question. The Porsche dealer mentioned to me that he would install the GT4 wheel to my Boxster when it arrives. My Boxster has PDK ordered with the standard sports wheel (which has paddles) so I'm assuming that the PDK paddles will work with this wheel :)
Please give us an update. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Please give us an update. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
Well my dealer confirmed it will fit after speaking with their service department, so I'm assuming it will fit. :) No reason that both would be wrong (especially the service department who works with all Porsche models regularly). Once the car arrives next year I will post it here for all the see and reconfirm the wheel/PDK paddle mechanics. So far, seems to be a green light that everything should be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well my dealer confirmed it will fit after speaking with their service department, so I'm assuming it will fit. :) No reason that both would be wrong (especially the service department who works with all Porsche models regularly). Once the car arrives next year I will post it here for all the see and reconfirm the wheel/PDK paddle mechanics. So far, seems to be a green light that everything should be fine.
Awesome! I think I'll get one then!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Awesome! I think I'll get one then!
Triple check with your local dealer, but you should be fine.

Boxster and Boxster Spyder have the same steering column and mounts, according to my dealer. The wheel in the Spyder comes from the GT4 Cayman, so you can assume all three cars are essentially the same in terms of steering wheel placement and fitments. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm assuming your Boxster with PDK will loose the paddle shifters on the new steering wheel given the GT4 steering wheel is for manual only cars. Right?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
if your using a PDK .. its a NO GO..Specially if you have a multifunction wheel.. they have to Re-program the whole thing with Piwis..

this mod is only good for stick without any Wheel functions..

lemon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for this - been waiting for someone to do this mod. Now I'm sure I'll also do it :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
if your using a PDK .. its a NO GO..Specially if you have a multifunction wheel.. they have to Re-program the whole thing with Piwis..

this mod is only good for stick without any Wheel functions..

lemon
Noooooooooo! I wanted this wheel so bad :/
I hope it gets to be added as a future Tequipment option... Maybe it will be feasible by the dealers, eventualy? I have the sport wheel with the big paddles. I don't remember if the paddles are connected directly to the wheel itself or to the column? I'll have to check...

1 - 20 of 199 Posts