Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning my first road trip with my recently purchased Boxster s from Miami up to see my folks on Long Island, NY. In the past I've taken the I-95 fast track, but this time I want to take my time, explore twistys, mountains and just have fun with what has so far been an amazing car, but yearns for better roads than those in flat, straight Florida. My 79 year old dad who's always wanted a porsche but settled for a Golf may even fly down and do this with me, so would be an extra special trip.

I know there are a lot of resources on internet with best roads etc., but I really respect the drivers in this forum, who have a keener feel for where a Porsche really thrives. Any recommendations on eastern roads that you love which could eventually get me from Point A to Point B in the funnest way possible? Thanks!

2014 Porsche Boxster S 981
agate grey
21,000 miles
sport package/chrono
20" wheels
no PSAM (Miami's potholes would destroy my car's belly if I was foolish enough to have it here)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the GTS Routes app, lots of good Porsche group and recommend routes and roads. That sounds like a great trip, hope dad makes it down!!

Reactions: Misha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the GTS Routes app, lots of good Porsche group and recommend routes and roads. That sounds like a great trip, hope dad makes it down!!
Thanks Rick, I definitely will check it out! I really hope he comes along, a road trip as an adult would be a first and can't think of a better one!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd start by blocking out your primary roads first: I-95 to Charleston. Boooring, but Charleston and Beaufort are pretty waystops. I-26 to Asheville and thence to I-81 in far northeast Tennessee, just below Virginia. I-26 starts out boring but at the NC line, everything changes - Great Smokies, etc. Others can tell you about side-trips, of which there would be many. One is Tail of the Dragon ar Deals Gap at the TN/NC line

I-81 through the entire Shenandoah Valley. Again, many Porsche -worthy side-trips. Into PA and Harrisburg you can detour to the PA Dutch country. Ultimately get to I-78 and take it into NY. Nice road with none of the Joisey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd start by blocking out your primary roads first: I-95 to Charleston. Boooring, but Charleston and Beaufort are pretty waystops. I-26 to Asheville and thence to I-81 in far northeast Tennessee, just below Virginia. I-26 starts out boring but at the NC line, everything changes - Great Smokies, etc. Others can tell you about side-trips, of which there would be many. One is Tail of the Dragon ar Deals Gap at the TN/NC line

I-81 through the entire Shenandoah Valley. Again, many Porsche -worthy side-trips. Into PA and Harrisburg you can detour to the PA Dutch country. Ultimately get to I-78 and take it into NY. Nice road with none of the Joisey.
Thanks CGH3, I used to ride a motorbike and had fun with some nice twisty roads around Bear Mountain NY but remember my hardcore riding friends speaking of the Tail in awe. This is perfect, it gives me a very compelling primary route that I will be mapping out along with any side roads. Being a native New Yorker, "none of the Joisey" suits be just fine! Thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in Hickory, NC. The I-26 and I-81 suggestions are good to get you off boring I-95, but I'd recommend straying off the interstates a bit when you get to NC. From Asheville on I-26, I'd take the Blue Ridge Parkway until the Linville, NC area. You then definitely need to drive US 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock. It is a great stretch of road for a BS with top down. I do it frequently in my '15 BGTS and it is a blast (unless you get behind a Cadillac with Florida plates!). Then, if time is not pressing you, get back on the BRP and take it all the way into mid-Virginia. I think you will find this route quite rewarding.

Have a great trip and enjoy my home state!

·
Registered
245 Posts

I appreciate this also. Occasionally drive RI to southern SC and hate 95. This sounds great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since it wasn't mentioned & I live very near it, I'll recommend putting "the snake" on your list. Using I-81saves time & rt. 421 is not far off it. Getting there offers a mountain to climb on rt. 91 out of Elizabethton, thru Stony creek, into Shady Valley. From there I'll suggest 421s to Mtn. city, over another mtn. There's a Quality gas station that offers no ethanol 93 which my '15 base 981 likes, if you haven't found it elsewhere, in Elizabethton on rt 321. Mad maps has this area listed for 2 & 4 wheel fun, so try to do it during the week for less traffic. Getting back to I-81 thru Damascus on rt 91 is also a nice ride from Mtn. city.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Back in the 70s I would drive my motorcycle between upstate SC and Summerville, taking various backroads and sidetrips.

First, if you travel the backroads always ALWAYS be aware of the speed limit, never exceed it in the small towns. Be aware of the quick drops in speed and then watch the backside when you leave the burg. Have a RD for a reminder.

That said, get off I-95 onto SC 278 and take it to 25 to 276 to Brevard and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway....the Parkway is nicest from there to Asheville imo.

Nearly every small town has something to see, either a natural feature or some interesting or abandoned buildings. You'll see ancient gas stations and houses of a bygone area. I really hate driving on interstates unless making time is the only goal, which too often it is.

Reactions: Misha

·
Registered
392 Posts
Halfway up I-81 in Virginia think about taking a break at the historic collegiate town of Lexington. (I went to Washington & Lee there.) Lots of history and great roads into the mountains, west to Goshen, or east to the Blue Ridge Parkway to catch a sunset.

BTW, if you see any students near my alma mater, tell them PC sucks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thank you everyone, these are some amazing recommendations! I just found out that my dad is game to go, woohoo, so we'll set out likely later in September after he flies down.

Will let you know how it does and if I make any discoveries along the way!

Thanks again.

Mike F

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
might be the same road mentioned by Vintage Seabee, but check out "the diamondback' I think it is 221A, but not sure. It comes down from Little Switzerland. FUN, and much less travelled than Tail of the Dragon. It's right off the BRP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is the route that includes the Diamondback and Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of good driving routes and scenic stops in western NC, as well as eastern WV. You have to go further west for Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Great Smoky Mountains. It is impossible to visit all the great driving roads there, unless you spend multiple days or weeks there. Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are very scenic as you head north, if you wish to avoid the interstates. The speed limits are slower and you do have to mind the possibility of park rangers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts