Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see what favorite race tracks P9 members have.

Driverxxx7

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'll say Sonoma (aka Infinion, aka Sears Point), not just because its the closest track to here, but its the most difficult as well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
CoTA, because the grip is unreal, even when the track is wet. And then there's the design, 150' rise into turn 1, about a 140 degree left turn and downhill track out and the fun really begins in 3, 4 and 5.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
CoTA, because the grip is unreal, even when the track is wet. And then there's the design, 150' rise into turn 1, about a 140 degree left turn and downhill track out and the fun really begins in 3, 4 and 5.
COTA is a fun track, but so expensive. MSR 3.1 in Cresson is also a lot of fun: dry, not so much when its wet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's all about The Glen. The elevation change, the climbing esses, the bus stop, the boot, the history, the atmosphere - total package. Can't beat it. :)

Reactions: SJDave

·
Registered
903 Posts
It's all about The Glen. The elevation change, the climbing esses, the bus stop, the boot, the history, the atmosphere - total package. Can't beat it. :)
Having driven over a dozen different tracks, I couldn't have said it better, The Glen rocks. The Glen Motor Inn, not so much.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Glen! It's like playing on the "Field of Dreams" with all the past greats.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My favorite track is Road America. 4 miles of pure enjoyment. Highlights. First off it has a nice and long front straight, turn 5 up the hill to 6 is just so cool. The carousel is just one huge blast, that is followed up by this great high speed kink, that leads you down the back side of the track to go through Canada corner up on a left hander under the bridge and then to the right to the last turn, 14 that gets you back on the front straightaway to do it all over again. I just can never get enough of that place.

Daytona is my second favorite mainly because of the speed and banking. The first time you hit the banking it's unlike anything else you have ever experienced racing.

Mid-Ohio was the most challenging track I have ever raced on, lots of off camber turns there and I real love going through the S's.

Now the cork screw at Laguna is crazy fun and you just can't beat the location or the layout of the track.

Sonoma (aka Infinion, aka Sears Point) is a great track as well, with a great location and it's at sea level so you make great horsepower, and it has really great people who manage it.

Road Atlanta is an awesome track, but I liked racing on it better when the gravity cavity was still there.

Pocono Raceway is also a really great Northeast track that's really fun to race on, though the infield could be more exciting. The family that owns are are real good people also.

Personally I really love tracks with elevation changes.

I have never done the Glen but would really love to, as well as Barber and COTA are all on my list to hit in the near future.

For me every racetrack I have ever raced on over the years, all have their own distinct personalities. It's getting to know those
personalities that makes racing on them so much fun.

Driverxxx7

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have only driven on 3: Thunder Hill, Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca. Of these, Laguna Seca is my favorite partly because of the experience in the Monterey area before and after the track day. I have not tried the brand new section on Thunder Hill and hope to do so this fall - if not - then next spring.

I like the Sonoma track itself about as well as LS - more challenging and more dangerous to the car. TH is a good place to push on your car a bit and experiment because it is safer with more run off areas.

At the top of my bucket-list tracks is Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps followed by Nurburgring Nordschleife but I don't see those in the cards for me.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Texas World Speedway. Won't be around much longer, if you're within striking distance drive it while there is still time. Have only driven COTA once, but maybe will become my new favorite. Pricey though. Barber is very nice too. Had the opportunity to drive Sepang International Circuit once- great track too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Being a West Coaster - Laguna Seca is in my top three. The corkscrew is fun, but (for me) the biggest rush is coming up the front straight, flat out through turn one, then dive into the Andretti hairpin…..like stepping off the edge of the world. And Auto Club Speedway is a rush, it's SO fast - eight lanes of slightly curving front straight, then jump into the banking!!! Then there's my home track - (big) Willow Springs….like they say - fastest road in the West…..it's a speed lab!!

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Drive on Decker Cyn Road - enough sharp curves and climbs to sate most appetites. Exhilarating!! I've driven it 4 times during my 2nd week of ownership (it's the start of week 3 now)and it is FUN. (BTW, watch out for oncoming cars that may swing into your lane). Here's a video someone posted -
Porsche 914 Decker Canyon Road 2nd try - YouTube
But that is not a track per OPs request.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Laguna Seca is the most fun in my area for sure.

Thunderhill is a great track; I still need to check out the new track section they added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have been to a lot of facilities and for us our favorite is Spring Mountain! www.racespringmountain.com :cheers:
It is going under an incredible expansion and with over 6 miles of track is the longest track in North America and second longest in the world. More track is again being added so soon it will be longer than Nurburgring making it the worlds longest and most diverse track. As it is now there are over 50 different configurations. Borrowing their description: The race track at Spring Mountain Motor Resort & Country Club is a fantastic combination of fast sweeping corners, quick esses, off-camber turns, over 125 ft of elevation change and 4 high-speed straights including our newest half mile straight. With replicas of some of racing’s most famous corners including Mosport's 5a and 5b, the Watkins Glen "Bus Stop", and Road Atlanta's turn 1, Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew".
They are also adding so much more like shopping and recreation areas including a lake for Jet Lev and other aquatic activities. It really is an incredible facility.We liked it so much we became members there and are now looking forward to spending time with the Porsche club events held regularly there once our Cayman GTS arrives... Looking forward to taking down a few Corvettes... :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Curious to see what favorite race tracks P9 members have.

Driverxxx7
The Nurburgring Nordschliefe...Disneyland for drivers. I too like elevation changes, and on the Ring(~1000ft) you are almost never driving level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts