Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we're still in the middle of spring but I'm already thinking of BBQ!

Here is a quick reminder of our BBQ event last summer:

http://www.planet-9.com/u-s-northeast-noreasters-region/34931-photos-1st-annual-noreaster-bbq.html

Let's kick off the planning process for the 2010 version of the Planet-9 BBQ.

The most important question is, who is willing to host the event? Everyone will bring some food and this request worked out great last year.

Some basic requirements include:

• Live within a reasonable driving distance for the Nor'Easters
  • Enough room to park 20+ cars without neighbors calling the police
  • An understanding spouse that will put up with a whole day of car talk

Did I miss anything?

So, let's get a list of candidates and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe we can get Jack Daniels to host it at their new showroom? Anyone have a connection? I also have a good friend who is opening a showroom just north of them on Rt 17 in Ramsey...He may be willing to host, depends on when his showroom will open....I will check with him ... When is this usually held?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spoke with my friend and he would be willing to host at his new shop! He will not be settled in until July (if everything goes well) So if that works from a scheduling perspective then I think we have a location. He is taking over the old Saturn location on Rt 17 in Ramsey NJ. He ownes a high end repair shop in town and will be importing "Radical Sportscars" from England so it looks like it will be alot of fun! Check them out at: www.radicalextremesportscars.com

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Ken, maybe you could make a road trip out and bring a load of genuine Kansas City BBQ.:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the offer boxzilla! We'll keep this in mind and I'll PM you to discuss further.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm interested :) I'll take a trip up North this summer.

Can't make any promises about neighbors calling the police for noise though ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
And I was thinking MYSTICCS said that last year was the 1st ANNUAL? LOL Last year was a great time...I am not offering yet, but let me talk to my wife to see if it is a possibility in Westerly, RI. We live on a cul-de-sac so parking would not be a problem and if the neighbors complain...we will just rev our engines so we cannot hear them!!! Love that new exhaust!!! It would have to be after mid-July also.

Chris

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Sorry I have not chimed in on the BBQ yet. Christine and I have most summer weekends booked this year. We will try to attend wherever it's held, but I'm afraid our schedule is too "up in the air" to host this year. If we can attend....I'll bring the croquet ;)

P.S. I'm glad DEs are on weekdays......

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I know I would be interested. If anyone is interested in fine watches, we can check out Grenon's of Newport while we are there. I've bought a couple of watches from him over the phone and would love to meet him. He usually has an event around Labor Day sponsored by Cartier and Aston-Martin.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Newport is a beautiful destination. I would be in (schedule permitting).

One concern is distance for the "core group". Fairly close for a few of us ;) but 3 1/2 -4 hours (depending on traffic) from NYC.

It would probobly help for folks to have an idea of cost for the event.
And Newport hotels start at $200+ per night in the summer plus many have a 2 night minimum..especially on weekends.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the additional info mysticcs. Those hotel prices are nuts! The search continues...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Pete, you could always look and see if there are any campgrounds nearby where you can pitch a tent. :hilarious:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Newport sounds real nice....another suggestion may be to plan something around mid-september...weather is still beautiful and the crowds are gone. You use Priceline for a hotel room and what do ya know....you have a weekend in Newport with smaller crowds, nice weather and at a less expensive rate. Just food for thought.

P.S. We are still on the fence for hosting at our house...we have a kitchen makeover happening at the end of the month and if all goes well, we could probably do it, but I have to wait to make sure.

Chris

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
A suggestion as a Newport alternative that is more centrally located for the group is Indian Well State Park in Shelton, CT. They have an open air shelter that holds plenty of people and you can rent it for $220.00 per day. It's rented through Reserve America (there is a link from the link here). It looks like there is currently plenty of availability in July and August on weekends...but that probobly won't last long.

DEP: Indian Well State Park

More food for thought....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Winery out on Long Island :) Nice and close for me. I am down to go to the bbq and think I can bring a few others too. Lets get it sorted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts