Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently just got my new 2015 Cayman GTS. I was feeling impulsive, bored with my BMW, and drove first to the Jaguar dealer and test drove the F-Type R. It definitely did not feel solidly built like my BMW, and a piece of window trim coming off the demo definitely did not build my confidence about British/Indian quality. Then I proceeded to my local Porsche, drove the GTS around the block, was blown away, and took one off the lot right then and there. I didn't want to wait three months on a custom order, and they gave me a 5% discount (I guess no one likes silver anymore, white appears to be the new black). Here is what was on it: Rhodium Silver GTS, PDK, Carrera rims in satin, park assist F/R, aluminum tailpipe, that's it…out-the-door less than 80K.

…now two weeks later, and I have no regrets. This car is waaay better than any of the six BMWs I have owned. The sounds coming out of the engine and sport exhaust are just awesome, particularly at higher RPMs. Yes, my V8 M3 had more low end torque, but all the more incentive to rev it up high. Cornering, just awesome, now I know what "like on rails" really means. Seating position and seats, just perfect. Even the rear visibility is very good, no feeling of sitting in a cocoon here. Even the trunks are very practical and can take a roller bag in front and golf clubs in the back. The only negative I think is the car, given its smaller size, has a little less street presence than a 911…at 30 I might have cared, but now that I am 40 who gives a f***! And the fact that my kids can't sit in the nonexistent back seats I consider a positive!

And now for the feedback if anyone is custom ordering a GTS…
--I saw GT silver on a 911 at the dealer, and in my opinion, it looked better than rhodium. If rhodium was just a brighter silver than GT silver that would be one thing, but the ever so faint hint of blue in it I think makes GT silver the better choice (note, definitely not nearly as much blue than BMW's silverstone).
--I'm not loving this Alcantara steering wheel. The Alcantara seats, headliner, doors, and shifter are fine, but on the wheel it feels like I am gripping a slippery carpet. For me on a new build, no brainer, switch to the leather sport wheel, even if it doesn't match the Alcantara in the rest of the car.
--The GTS comes standard with Sound Package Plus. While this has 9 speakers, I must say the sound is very average (and yes, there are 2 speakers in back on SPP). On a new build, I would definitely spend the $700 on the Bose. I haven't heard the Bose system, and yes, I have audiophile speakers all over my house and know Bose sucks, but for very little $ you get a bigger sub and more power. I can't speak for the HD CDR+ screen, but the CDR interface seems fine to me. I use my iPhone for Navigation.
--I was initially bummed about spending nearly 80K on a car without fully automatic seats, but now I am totally okay with it. The supportiveness is just right, and how often really do you change the seat setting on a car anyway? Plus, on the GTS, there is no 14-way option, just an 18-way for too much money (is there really 18 ways to change seat?).
--Wow, can the cupholders get any worse? I'm 3 for 3 on spilling coffee on my console. Not sure what to do about that since I do need my caffeine.

Anyway, that's it. I love this car so much that I'm seriously considering getting a GT4 when it comes out, but in GT silver this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
--Wow, can the cupholders get any worse? I'm 3 for 3 on spilling coffee on my console. Not sure what to do about that since I do need my caffeine.
Apologies if this is not the issue, but after you pull the cup holder out, you can move the center piece back up closed to keep the cup holders from flopping around. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out, but it was not obvious to me at first, so I thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Great feedback, thanks for sharing. And congrats on finding a GTS on the lot! Not easy to do. Many of your conclusions (cup holders suck, alcantara steeing wheel feel, upgrade to Bose) are the same as most people on here. But these are relatively minor, especially if you prefer to listen to the GTS engine rather than music.

I did go with GT Silver, was a must on the car and non-negotiable. But rhodium silver is also a very nice color. Some people like it better than GT silver, it is a matter of personal taste. I do not think that you short changed yourself in any way, both are really nice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently just got my new 2015 Cayman GTS. I was feeling impulsive, bored with my BMW, and drove first to the Jaguar dealer and test drove the F-Type R. It definitely did not feel solidly built like my BMW, and a piece of window trim coming off the demo definitely did not build my confidence about British/Indian quality. Then I proceeded to my local Porsche, drove the GTS around the block, was blown away, and took one off the lot right then and there. I didn't want to wait three months on a custom order, and they gave me a 5% discount (I guess no one likes silver anymore, white appears to be the new black). Here is what was on it: Rhodium Silver GTS, PDK, Carrera rims in satin, park assist F/R, aluminum tailpipe, that's it…out-the-door less than 80K.

…now two weeks later, and I have no regrets. This car is waaay better than any of the six BMWs I have owned. The sounds coming out of the engine and sport exhaust are just awesome, particularly at higher RPMs. Yes, my V8 M3 had more low end torque, but all the more incentive to rev it up high. Cornering, just awesome, now I know what "like on rails" really means. Seating position and seats, just perfect. Even the rear visibility is very good, no feeling of sitting in a cocoon here. Even the trunks are very practical and can take a roller bag in front and golf clubs in the back. The only negative I think is the car, given its smaller size, has a little less street presence than a 911…at 30 I might have cared, but now that I am 40 who give a f***! And the fact that my kids can sit in the nonexistent back seats I consider a positive!

--I saw GT silver on a 911 at the dealer, and in my opinion, it looked better than rhodium. If rhodium was just a brighter silver than GT silver that would be one thing, but the ever so faint hint of blue in it I think makes GT silver the better choice (note, definitely not nearly as much blue than BMW's silverstone).
--I'm not loving this Alcantara steering wheel. The Alcantara seats, headliner, doors, and shifter are fine, but on the wheel it feels like I am gripping a slippery carpet. For me on a new build, no brainer, switch to the leather sport wheel, even if it doesn't match the Alcantara in the rest of the car.
--The GTS comes standard with Sound Package Plus. While this has 9 speakers, I must say the sound is very average (and yes, there are 2 speakers in back on SPP). On a new build, I would definitely spend the $700 on the Bose. I haven't heard the Bose system, and yes, I have audiophile speakers all over my house and know Bose sucks, but for very little $ you get a bigger sub and more power. I can't speak for the HD CDR+ screen, but the CDR interface seems fine to me. I use my iPhone for Navigation.
--I was initially bummed about spending nearly 80K on a car with fully automatic seats, but now I am totally okay with it. The supportiveness is just right, and how often really do you change the seat setting on a car anyway? Plus, on the GTS, there is no 14-way option, just an 18-way for too much money (is there really 18 ways to change seat?).

Anyway, that's it. I love this car so much that I'm seriously considering getting a GT4 when it comes out, but in GT silver this time.
I share your views on GT Silver! But I am biased :hilarious:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is puzzling to me is why a color that is normal for every other car company, medium silver (gt silver), is considered a special color at Porsche. I can't imagine it costs any more to make, and unlike Lime Gold, I think it would be very popular so no special changeover costs at the factor to switch paints. They'd might as well make white and black special colors too, and better yet, consider all the colors special and charge the same price. That way, at least I wouldn't feel like they were nickel and diming us!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Regarding the alcantara steering wheel, I did not like it at first, but after 1200 miles now I do. I debated whether or not to order it. I knew I wanted the sport steering wheel, but it does not have a heated wheel option. (So shoot me, I have other cars with heated steering wheels and it's addicting). I figured the Alcantara wheel would not feel as cold as leather so maybe I wouldn't miss the heat.

When the car arrived, I didn't like the alcantara feel after all of 5 minutes. It just felt unnatural, too synthetic. Apparently it too needs to break in. Now it feels great. It's soft and just feels good in my hands. Give it time.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
What is puzzling to me is why a color that is normal for every other car company, medium silver, is considered a special color at Porsche. I can't imagine it costs any more to make, and unlike Lime Gold, I think it would be very popular so no special changeover costs at the factor to switch paints. They'd might as well make white and black special colors too, and better yet, consider all the colors special and charge the same price. That way, at least I wouldn't feel like they were nickel and diming us!
Like many of you, I spend way too much time on the configurator. Any slight change or new option, like the satin black wheel paint option, gets noticed because of the rather compulsive nature of checking more than once a day. So what I'm getting to is that I have noticed that changes happen on the configurator, often subtle, a lot more often than you might expect. About a month ago, and it only lasted for one evening, I noticed that the Rhodium Silver paint color choice was in the same row as the Black, White, Red and Yellow. It was right after the Yellow and it was absent from the middle of the second row where I'd alway seen it in the past. When you hovered the cursor over the paint swatch it still showed the higher price. But I remember thinking, Hey Porsche's going to offer Rhodium Silver as a $0 option soon. But then it disappeared and resumed its normal location.

I rechecked the web page several times for both the Boxsters and Caymans, and for that one evening they all offered the Rhodium Silver in the same row.

I was hoping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man I hope my Alacantara wheel breaks in. If not, I may need to pay for a new leather one, which I'm sure will be cheap.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Breaking in the Alcantara wheel...is probably more breaking in the driver ;). I was worried about it initially, but liked after a few drives. It doesn't really show its benefits until you drive wearing gloves. Swapping to the leather one will cost you about $1k from any of the popular parts stores referenced on the forum. You should probably do it soon so you can resell that Alcantara wheel in like-new condition if you're committed to changing it out. DIY is here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/337362-diy-steering-wheel-removal-991-a.html

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am not a fan of alcantara steering wheel either, it looks like crap after a period of use. It was meant to be used with gloves, not with oily and sweety hands.

Apologies if this is not the issue, but after you pull the cup holder out, you can move the center piece back up closed to keep the cup holders from flopping around. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out, but it was not obvious to me at first, so I thought I'd mention it.
I learned a lot from this video, must watched for every 981 owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-FjNjmAmUs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow just saw that that video, wonderful, is there something available for Cayman? Not too many differences though.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Wow just saw that that video, wonderful, is there something available for Cayman? Not too many differences though.
First time I've seen it too. Cool stuff. Thanks, Ynot!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Having a Boxster GTS in GT Silver I could not agree more. I personally do not like Rhodium. It is has too much blue in it. I ordered my GT Silver without seeing it. While on order I was nervous that I made the wrong decision as pictures just do not give justice to the color. Then I finally saw a 911 turbo in GT Silver and I was drooling. When my Boxster GTS arrived at my dealership with the gloss black trim and gloss black wheels I had a smile from ear to ear knowing I made the right choice. Even my SA said that this was one of the nicest Boxster builds they had ever seen.

…now two weeks later, and I have no regrets. This car is waaay better than any of the six BMWs I have owned. The sounds coming out of the engine and sport exhaust are just awesome, particularly at higher RPMs. Yes, my V8 M3 had more low end torque, but all the more incentive to rev it up high. Cornering, just awesome, now I know what "like on rails" really means. Seating position and seats, just perfect. Even the rear visibility is very good, no feeling of sitting in a cocoon here. Even the trunks are very practical and can take a roller bag in front and golf clubs in the back. The only negative I think is the car, given its smaller size, has a little less street presence than a 911…at 30 I might have cared, but now that I am 40 who gives a f***! And the fact that my kids can't sit in the nonexistent back seats I consider a positive!

--I was initially bummed about spending nearly 80K on a car without fully automatic seats, but now I am totally okay with it. The supportiveness is just right, and how often really do you change the seat setting on a car anyway? Plus, on the GTS, there is no 14-way option, just an 18-way for too much money (is there really 18 ways to change seat?).

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Cup holders are a new thing, from the last decade. They are an afterthought and concession for the US market, not meant to be used. You are lucky they exist. Never use the left one.

What is puzzling to me is why a color that is normal for every other car company, medium silver (gt silver), is considered a special color at Porsche.
GT Silver is German Racing Colors, the color of the famed and haunted James Dean 550 spyder (GT Silver and Carrera Red Interior). It will always demand a premium price as a special color, and combined, a special price for the matching interior color.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I am not a fan of alcantara steering wheel either, it looks like crap after a period of use. It was meant to be used with gloves, not with oily and sweety hands.

I learned a lot from this video, must watched for every 981 owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-FjNjmAmUs
Anybody notice the mistake in the video......? At about 13:05,they say the coasting function can be switched on or off by pressing the "A" button and then they show the video of the driver hitting this button in the Lime Gold Boxster.....except this car is the 6MT which does not have the coasting function. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes. I believe you can find it on YouTube but I watched it in the "Good to Know" iPad app. The full movie on the app is just over 29 minutes long

1 - 20 of 22 Posts