Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to borrow a garage for an evening in the Dallas area and I'm hoping that a forum member will be willing to help. Here's the situation, my 991 turbo should be arriving at Park Place Porsche in late January. After taking delivery, I need to get the car straight to a garage and polish all of the paint surfaces that will be covered in clear film before delivering the car to Norm Schilling at Invisibra in Carrollton. The challenge I'm running into is that I live in New Mexico and would like to accomplish the delivery, detailing and clear bra over a four day weekend. So far, Norm turned me down for use of his shop and the dealership has not been responsive to my inquiries about using their facilities to accomplish the paint polishing. My schedule would look something like this:

Thursday morning (early): leave for Dallas
Thursday afternoon: take delivery at the stealer
Thursday afternoon-night: polish the front end and rocker panels
Thursday night: return to my hotel
Fri-Sat: Norm does the clear film
Sun: drive back to NM

Is there anyone in the Dallas area that would be willing to lend me use of their garage on a Thursday night in late Jan-early Feb? I have my own lighting and equipment. All I really need is an enclosed space, wall outlet and access to a garden hose.

Cheers,
Patrick

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Patrick, I moved this to the Texas region hoping you would get more responses from people in Texas, but if you want a version in the 911 area, let me know and I can move it back.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patrick, I moved this to the Texas region hoping you would get more responses from people in Texas, but if you want a version in the 911 area, let me know and I can move it back.
Thanks!

- Patrick

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I must admit I'm a little bummed out at the lack of responses. This is cross-posted on two other forums with a combined 500 views and no help. Just to clarify, all I need is for someone to open their garage door and let me use the floor space and a garden hose so that I can prep the paint to my standards before the clear bra goes on. No other accommodations are required. I will be in and out in 6-8 hours and I am willing to pay $150 cash for the privilege/convenience of having an enclosed space with access to electricity and water. I am a commissioned officer in the Air Force and can provide character references if that is a concern.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in Houston, so I can't help, but was wondering whether a storage facility might rent a space for a day. I rent a climate controlled storage space for $55/month. Surely a storage facility would be happy to rent you one for a couple of days for $150. Just a thought.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Houston, so I can't help, but was wondering whether a storage facility might rent a space for a day. I rent a climate controlled storage space for $55/month. Surely a storage facility would be happy to rent you one for a couple of days for $150. Just a thought.
Thanks, Lark. I considered that as a last resort but I wouldn't feel safe. When I'm focused on the polishing I have no situational awareness and I don't want to get carjacked on the day I pick up my new ride. Access to clean wash water could be a problem as well.

- Patrick

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Wish I could help but I'm in PA now and FL next week. Thanks for your service too. Lark's suggestion looks like it could work. Hopefully you'll resolve this quickly.:cheers:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, the car isn't projected to arrive until 30 Jan.

- Patrick

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
Did you check with the stealer or Norm to see if they would let you polish you car at their place? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you check with the stealer or Norm to see if they would let you polish you car at their place? Just a suggestion.
Those are the first two options I investigated. It says that in my original post. Neither will allow it due to insurance liability. I think it's a bit of hooey since I see this exact thing all the time on the detailing forums. Many customers of high-end vehicles pay their preferred detailer to perform a new car prep right at the dealership. I have even seen clear bra installations done on the showroom floor. I offered to sign a release but they won't budge and Norm said he just doesn't have room in his shop. Honestly, I didn't think it would be this much of a logistical challenge.

- Patrick

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Did you read the OP's first post; the one that started this thread?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Post on the Maverick Region PCA Facebook group.

I must admit I'm a little bummed out at the lack of responses. This is cross-posted on two other forums with a combined 500 views and no help. Just to clarify, all I need is for someone to open their garage door and let me use the floor space and a garden hose so that I can prep the paint to my standards before the clear bra goes on. No other accommodations are required. I will be in and out in 6-8 hours and I am willing to pay $150 cash for the privilege/convenience of having an enclosed space with access to electricity and water. I am a commissioned officer in the Air Force and can provide character references if that is a concern.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
294 Posts
If this was in Austin or Houston would be happy to help you out but I unfortunately don't have access to any place in Dallas that would be suitable.

I'm sure a member in Dallas will come through for you once they see this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Off topic... May I kindly ask you to share your 991 turbo options?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your welcome yo use my garage ( I have a lift as well if needed!) but I'm near downtown ft worth. Only about a 35 minute drive to park place ( that's where I bought my turbo)

Let me know..

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your welcome yo use my garage ( I have a lift as well if needed!) but I'm near downtown ft worth. Only about a 35 minute drive to park place ( that's where I bought my turbo)

Let me know..
I just saw this today. Thanks for the offer. I will certainly let you know if it works out that way.

- Patrick

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Maybe try posting in a couple of other non-Porsche enthusiast forums? I spent some time over the years in M3 and S2000 forums and found members pretty helpful. As a last resort, kijiji can sometimes be a surprisingly useful resource for connecting with folks. A couple of years back I purchased a niche $1000 laser leveller for a specific project (couldn't be rented anywhere). Once I was finished, I put it up on kijiji and sold it for $850 in three hours. The fellow that bought it drove 3.5 hours the next morning to pick it up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Here are the options and colors that I settled on. My 981 BS was special ordered and I learned what options I valued and which I didn't.
View attachment 54212
Interesting to see how different our 3 turbos; yours, Toms and mine!

1) I wonder what does the Premium Package include. We don't have it here. My guess it's standard in our region, not an option.
2) Is the Burmester really worth that chunk of money?
3) I like the sport mirrors but I'd be sacrificing the folding option, therefore I had to let go of them.
4) love your interior ;)
5) any concerns about the CL wheels? I love them and couldn't cancel them, yet concerned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts