Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Planet-9’ers - this is a feeler post.

A friend who used to work on my Audi recently approached me with an opportunity. He runs a successful shop that caters to Audi, VW and Porsche here in Huntington Beach called Auto Union Tuning. They are working with Vorsteiner Wheels to come out with a new fitment for the 981.

This will be a run exclusive to Auto Union Tuning. The wheels will be 20” - Exact size, offset and weight details are being worked out now. The Model is the V-FF 101.

Three colors: mercury silver, carbon grey and mystic black.

These will be the first sets available on the 981 anywhere. The shop will get 20 sets. Tire and Wheel packages will be available from Auto Union Tuning. Retail on the wheels will be $2,400. If we get at least 10 who sign up, there will be a 10% discount. Shipping will vary, tires are available as well.

This is the first wheel for the 981 using Vorsteiner’s new flow forging process which provides increased strength while lowering overall weight. As you may have seen, the prior fitment for the 981 were cast and much heavier.

If we are fortunate to garner enough interest, Auto Union Tuning will become a site sponsor.

Feel free to PM with Questions - I'll do the best I can in replying in a timely manner.

I will be the first set – 19 to go.

Who’s next?

Thanks for your time,

Marc

More on the wheel and manufacturing process: V-FF 101 | Vorsteiner Wheels.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
A hint for what is being proposed would be helpful. You should then specify width, offset, weight, reuse of OEM bolts, etc. when available.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know the details are being worked out, but what is the approximate weight difference between these wheels and the two 20" Porsche offerings? I have the 20" Classic Carrera's, and some of the folks have the 20" Techno's.

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the note DMC, I believe the Carrera S III's are 21 and 24 correct?

I was told they will be lighter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found these weights in a 2013 post by Goofnik:

Boxster S III (2013 Boxster S, 2014 Boxster S)

• 19 x 8.0 - 22 lbs. 8 oz.
  • 19 x 9.5 - 25 lbs. 5 oz.

Cayman S III (2014 Cayman S)

• 19 x 8.0 - 24 lbs. 6 oz.
  • 19 x 9.5 - 26 lbs. 10 oz.

Carrera S III

• 20 x 8.0 - 22 lbs. 7 oz.
  • 20 x 9.5 - 24 lbs. 15 oz.

Carrera Classic II

• 20 x 8.0 - 23 lbs. 8 oz.
  • 20 x 9.5 - 25 lbs. 4 oz.

I was hoping the wheel maker knew the weights. If they are claiming their wheels are lighter, then they should know the stock weights, and the weights of their wheel. Otherwise, how do they know their wheels are indeed lighter. :cool:

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to make an informed decision. If I change wheels, a major factor will be the weight savings.

Thank you for the note DMC, I believe the Carrera S III's are 21 and 24 correct?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope not difficult at all.

I have asked for these specs, so I hope to get them ASAP. I would ask the same.

·
3,107 Posts
I was hoping the wheel maker knew the weights. If they are claiming their wheels are lighter, then they should know the stock weights, and the weights of their wheel. Otherwise, how do they know their wheels are indeed lighter. :cool:
Remember that marketing is everything. A lot of times claims are being made without giving details.

I seriously doubt that a special run of a limited number of wheels will be made. It wouldn't support a business case. And companies are there to make a profit. Therefore take things published, posted with a grain of salt. Remember the forgestar issue. Yes, they wound up being the hype and sold a bunch only to get a bad rep for various reasons. Today things have settled but they never regained their initial footing.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we will see right?

Here's the weights based on size.
20 x 8.5 would weigh 23 lbs
20 x 10, 24lbs

The OEM ball seat bolts will work.

Vorsteiner is interested in your input for width and offset details. Looking forward to your thoughts on that.

Yes this is a Gen 2 wheel - this is from Vorsteiner: "Vorsteiner had an older previous generation of VFF 101. This is a face-lifted generation 2 version. These new wheels are lighter, and have new precision machine work around the spokes and bowl and have better concavity that look even better."

·
3,107 Posts

Carrera S III

• 20 x 8.0 - 22 lbs. 7 oz.
  • 20 x 9.5 - 24 lbs. 15 oz.

Carrera Classic II

• 20 x 8.0 - 23 lbs. 8 oz.
  • 20 x 9.5 - 25 lbs. 4 oz.

20 x 8.5 would weigh 23 lbs
20 x 10, 24lb
And a 1.5" width difference on your proposal equates to a 1 lbs difference whereas on an OEM its a min of 1 3/4 lbs.

Its just simple material deletion. Why not more? What is your take on this?

It is also interesting that this reputable, successful local shop in the mecca of car customization has very little presence on the web.

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts
I weighed mine before mounting. Carrera S III weights, no TPMS
or valve stems...
Front 8"x20": 21 lbs, 10 oz.
Rear 9.5"x20": 24 lbs, 6 oz.

BTW, these Vorsteiners look amazing!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Neat looking wheels and rather cheap (comparatively)...but not 100% forged and the finish is just plain paint that will not hold up well.

seems they weight more than carrera s 20 inch wheels

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
A quick note that rjpeaks and the company behind this approached me months ago about doing this sort of interest survey to see if doing a custom setup for 981's was viable or not. People who have been here awhile know that we did something similar about 8 years ago with a set of RS98's in 18 inch size, a set of 25 was made and to date no more have ever been made and these remain very desirable wheels to this day. Please give rjpeaks the time to get answers to all of your questions so you can determine if this offer will work for you or not. If it does, great we will have a new wheel available and a new sponsor here that will start bringing more products to the Porsche community. If it doesn't work and people aren't interested then we can all move on. I expect members to be helping other members, not slamming other people's hard work as they try to get a custom job off the ground.

·
3,107 Posts
A quick note that rjpeaks and the company behind this approached me months ago about doing this sort of interest survey to see if doing a custom setup for 981's was viable or not. People who have been here awhile know that we did something similar about 8 years ago with a set of RS98's in 18 inch size, a set of 25 was made and to date no more have ever been made and these remain very desirable wheels to this day. Please give rjpeaks the time to get answers to all of your questions so you can determine if this offer will work for you or not. If it does, great we will have a new wheel available and a new sponsor here that will start bringing more products to the Porsche community. If it doesn't work and people aren't interested then we can all move on. I expect members to be helping other members, not slamming other people's hard work as they try to get a custom job off the ground.
One thing that would help starter, feeler posts like this is to mention up front that staff was consulted for permissions prior to posting. But at the same time the post, the proposal, should include info that is known to be requested or needs to be clarified. Otherwise you'll get what you've gotten.

$0.02

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fair enough.

i guess your job is to police for validity.

In any case we hope to have the offset and final weights asap.

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Buenos Tardes,

The 991 (narrow body) wheel (20x8.5 and 20x10) weights are 23 and 24.5 lbs.

Vorsteiner is saying the 981 back wheels should be lighter.

But the final weights will be reserved for the scale.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts