Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did I buy the right car, or should I have saved more for a Ferrari, Lamborghini, 911?

Well, we just got back from ExoticDriving.com at Disney World in Orlando and had a great time racing between my wife in her Gallardo 560-4 and my Ferrari 458... and a few practice laps in an old 911 :cheers:

On the way home from the track, I thought about my base 987.2 Cayman ... and have to admit, that for public roads (where I spend 98% of my time) its still the best handling, feeling, driver involvement car for the job. One of the old-timers at the track told me Porsche use to run an ad- "We race at the track, so we can develop technology that make our cars fun to drive to work everyday."

If you haven't driven the Ferrari 458 I highly recommend it, but I gave up asking local dealers for test drives on local streets, the car has to be on the track to appreciate how much performance it can deliver. I'm actually a Lamborghini fan at heart, but the Ferrari was hands down a better drive (looking forward to Lambo's new Gallardo coming soon!)

Anyway... for those of us who don't really want to spend $200k plus for a car, the good news is I don't think we are missing a thing. I've driven my dream cars, had a blast on the track, but on the street at near-legal speeds these cars are over qualified and thus would offer no challenge. (Kind of makes it harder for me to rationalize wanting the next bigger or faster car, since I'll never be a track rat, and the Cayman is so much fun to drive on the street).

We wanted to add the Audi R8 to our weekend, but someone found a way to wreck the car 2 weeks before our trip. Damage was minor but traction control electronics haven't been the same since. Audi is trying to figure out why? So car was not available.

P.S-
This was the first time I've really felt comfortable with a paddle shift car (Ferrari 458) but I still find it tame compared to a stick shift and the extra skill necessary to hustle a 3 pedal car at 10/10ths.

And kudos to the staff at exoticdriving.com their coaching was spot-on and helpful in getting everyone up to speed as fast as possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great! Thanks for sharing. I also got to drive a Ferrari 458 and an Audi R8 at Las Vegas speedway. (40th B day present from the wife!) The R8 was amazing and can be driven on real roads, like the Porsche's. I agree whole heartedly about the Ferrari but I would have to admit if I had the money, I would "suffer" driving it on the street....

My question is, what did you think of the 911 after driving the other two? And did if feel like an upgrade to the 987?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My question is, what did you think of the 911 after driving the other two? And did if feel like an upgrade to the 987?
I didn't drive the 911, as I went straight for the Lambo and Ferrari. My wife wanted to work her way up the ladder since she had never driven a Ferrari before. Her past experience was from racing Mazda Miatas, and complained that she thought the 911 felt big & heavy compared to her preference for our Cayman (that she's been driving for the past 2 years). She commented on the extra HP as a plus, but felt the extra size, bulk, and loss of agility compared to the Cayman was too much of a penalty for the extra speed.

I was surprised, that she didn't like the 911, but she really enjoyed the Gallardo 560-4 when it came time to step-up to a higher HP car (even over the Ferrari 458). If I had to guess, I think that's because the Lambo's 4-wheel drive gave her extra confidence to push hard in the fast corners. In contrast, I thought the rear wheel drive of the Ferrari 458 gave the car a lot more feel, and thus made it more satisfying to drive fast if you got everything just right!

Verdict- I'm keeping the Cayman and spending my extra pocket change on a beach vacation condo :) Famous last words? (Probably... until Porsche comes out with their 960-FeFi) :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Last year I baby sat my brother in law's 458 for 10 days, he gave me keys and said drive it like it's yours, at the end of the 10 days I appreciated my 987 more than ever. Easy to live with in every aspect. He sold the 458 for a Panamera Turbo S, now that's giving way to an AM Rapide, the Panamera is huge! For what it is (luxo barge) it's incredibly agile and extremely fast, but I would never buy one. The Rapide I'm waiting to try. The grass always seems greener, but my experiences with cars that cost more and are more powerful proves how capable the 987/981 platform is...........don't miss any of them.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
There's a guy locally who drives his two Ferraris, one Lambo, half-dozen Porsches to work regularly. I see him most mornings on my way to work, as our paths are common for a few miles, and our schedules seem to match. The only car he doesn't drive regularly is his Carrera GT, which I guess is a little too special for morning commuter traffic. He has a Cayman, but doesn't seem to drive it all that often. He says his favorite "every day driver" is his 997 GT2. I wish I had his problems...
But I also wish I had yours--I've always wanted to do one of those "drive five exotics for half a day" events. Maybe like you it will convince me how lucky I am to drive a Cayman to work each and every day!
BTW, what's that gold 981-look alike? Got a link?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice I live in orlando, I drove that 911 and a R8 last time I was there a great time! I will go soon an take the GTR for a spin. The R8 felt much more stable around the track than the 911. Although the 911 felt more nimble in the tighter parts and the direction change was superior in the 911 than the R8. The R8 felt planted and bigger, the R8 did not feel much faster than the 911 PDK at all, kudos to the 911 for that.

Some years ago they used to offer Indy car driving experience where you got to drive a indy car alone. It was amazing, they no longer do it the disney track after someone lost their life. I believe I hit a max of 160ish MPH on the disney tri-oval.

·
Registered
454 Posts
A friend has a quote which can be applied to the Lambo or any other exotic:

"Owning a [supercar] is like dating a super model with a cocaine habit...you're not sure when or where it will break down, but you know it will be expensive when it does. However, they are very nice to look at and a lot fun for a while."

All in fun, ;)

ed

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I drove, in order 991, 458, Lambo SuperLeggra, and 430 Scud at Exotics in Vegas last year.

I hvae posted on this before, so I'll keep it short - the Lambo was my favorite if I could only have "1" (and I really did not want to like it). More raw than the 458, while the Scud would be ridiculous to drive on the street. Of course, the 991 felt generaly familiar.

I was also very pleased with Exotics - in Vegas, there is only one place that you could really hit anything if you went off. After the short briefing with each instructor in each car, and given my track experience, they never held me back. It is kind of like an ultimate test drive...........

I also have a friend with a white 458. After driving it on the streets here in Atlanta, I don't think I could own one. It's like standing naked in times square in a fishbowl. Everyone is acting like a moron trying to take your picture........ Not to mention, you can't see out of it to the side or rear, which is generally helpful in city driving.

:cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also drove a 458 in Las Vegas at the track and all I can say is that it was amazing. I know myself, I would go to jail within a week if driving a 458 every day, it's simply too fun to push and so fast! Lucky for me I'm not that rich so no 458 in my nearby future.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I also have a friend with a white 458. After driving it on the streets here in Atlanta, I don't think I could own one. It's like standing naked in times square in a fishbowl. Everyone is acting like a moron trying to take your picture

LOL Couldn't agree more. One of my neighbors has one, and it does draw a lot of attention. He let me drive it and I pushed it to maybe 3/4 of its potential, and it is one fast car with an absolutely awesome exhaust sound at high RPM. The way I see it is that the 981S gives you about 90% of the 458's performance for 25% of the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts