Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else catch this, was very surprised that a BMW Series 1 (£6k cheeper) out handled a Cayman, then went onto to beat it around a track as well :eek:

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
The 135i looks like a heck of a deal. A good reminder that Porsches are "small, expensive, and impractical". Also, a lot better looking!

MTWFPH? :D

(not a chance)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Hmm. I hate to admit it, but I was not suprised the BMW won. The extra power from the BMW was always going to be an advantage.

A damned shame but props to the BMW.

I guess the Cayman was the benchmark BMW wanted to beat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does not surprise me at all.

In C&D's lightning lap, a 335i ran VIR in 3:10.5 versus 309.6 for the Cayman S. The 1 series is lighter and has better brakes than the 3. Weight distro is very close to 50:50, and another 40-70 RWHP is $350-$2000 away depending upon which vendor you go with due to the easy tuning nature of an FI engine. Oh 1 more thing, the engine is underrated from the factory, we 335i owners typically get 265-275HP and 270-280 RWTQ at the wheels on dynojets and run identical 1/4th times and trap speeds to the 330HP rated e46 M3.

Having said all of that, I'm in the negotiation stage of selling my 335i for a Cayman S.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Does not surprise me at all.

In C&D's lightning lap, a 335i ran VIR in 3:10.5 versus 309.6 for the Cayman S. The 1 series is lighter and has better brakes than the 3. Weight distro is very close to 50:50, and another 40-70 RWHP is $350-$2000 away depending upon which vendor you go with due to the easy tuning nature of an FI engine. Oh 1 more thing, the engine is underrated from the factory, we 335i owners typically get 265-275HP and the 270-280 RWTQ at the wheels on dynojets and run identical 1/4th times and trap speeds to the 330HP rated e46 M3.

Having said all of that, I'm in the negotiation stage of selling my 335i for a Cayman S.
Weird, huh? :D

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Did anyone watch the latest Fifth gear shoot out between Jason Plato and Tiff Needle? It was between the BMW 135i and the Cayman and the poor Cayman lost. :mad:

But that little 135i is an awesome little car. I want one too.
I just went out to BMW USA website and built a 135i...

Man! $43k for a decently equipped 1 series. :(
I could have gone much further with the options and pushed nearly $50k!!!
And just out of curiousity, I added the steptronic and some audio options that went over $50k!

Although I paid a pretty penny for the Cayman S, for some reason, that just does not feel right for a BMW 1 series.

I would have figured a decently-equipped 135i would be around $36k-38k. :confused:

=====
EDIT: I watched the videos and WOW! That 135i moves out! That makes a strong argument for its price. I've been in a friends 335i and although its undoubtedly fast, it is still no replacement for my CS. I imagine the 135i is more of the same in a smaller less visually appealing pkg (IMO).

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I've not see the video, but the website photos show Jason Plato in the BMW. Nothing against Tiff Needell since I think he's one of the best automotive TV personalities, but isn't Jason Plato like the reigning BTCC champion? Maybe Jason's a bit better driver???

Just trying to save the Porsche image...:p

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
1.6 tons of BMW vs 1.3 tons of Cayman.

ON a single lap, perhaps the BMW with more power and turbos will win.

But over several laps, say, 10 laps, the additional weight will take its toll on tyres and brakes. My money is on the Cayman S stock over 10 laps.

That's what happened in GTR vs Porsche Turbo too...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Man! $43k for a decently equipped 1 series. :(
Oh I've built one a long time ago and built another one recently and guess what... mine came out $45K! and I did not get a automatic transmission. MANUAL ALL the way! not to save cost but you know what I mean.

SO ya... the way I would want one spec'ed $45K!

But then again my bare bare bare bones Cayman S was LOADS more expensive than the 135i... ouch. and has less HP :(

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
306 BHP v 245 BHP = No Contest.....

Anyone else catch this, was very surprised that a BMW Series 1 (£6k cheeper) out handled a Cayman, then went onto to beat it around a track as well :eek:

Gentlemen,

Before we all get our Knickers in a Twist The Comparison was against a 2.7 CAYMAN - (Not a 3.4 Cayman S).

The difference in Horsepower (306 in the BMW and 245 in the CAYMAN) would make a BIG difference................

·
Club Donor
768 Posts
Maybe this will force porsche's hand

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Although I paid a pretty penny for the Cayman S, for some reason, that just does not feel right for a BMW 1 series.

I would have figured a decently-equipped 135i would be around $36k-38k.

Actually with the dollar having lost so much of its value over the last six months compared to the Euro, I'm surprised that it doesn't cost more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BMW 135i vs Porsche Cayman -Fith Gear review

Hello guys,

Though, I wish they would've used a Cayman S to make it fair!

Part 1:
YouTube - Fifth Gear - BMW 135i Coupe vs Porsche Cayman Review [1/2]

Part 2:
YouTube - Fifth Gear - BMW 135i Coupe vs Porsche Cayman Review [2/2]

Interesting for what it is....!

They were being really kind to the Porsche in this review. A drift...? That was added to humor us Porsche fans. I really do think PAG has lost some of it's direction with this Panamera and SUV's. They have lost a level of refinement that will takes years to overcome. DFI is needed now, not in 2 years!

-Garrett

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It is a shame they didn't use the Cayman S on the comparison. I guess it was the only way they could get the BMW to win. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Fifth Gear is one of those puerile programmes that makes me want to throw bricks at my TV :mad:

So they test a Cayman versus a 1 Series and one of the categories is how much smoke they can make while drifting it!!! Purleeeese! Utter childish rubbish, makes my blood boil! :wall:

And £6,000 cheaper? who are they kidding. Have you tried speccing a BMW recently? A halfway decently specced 135i would probably cost more than a basic Cayman, in the UK at least. The car that Plato was driving had the fancy leather interior and various other toys, so it was most certainly NOT a budget spec car.

Both the Cayman AND the BMW are excellent cars, I have no issues with that. I just cringe when I see so called auto journalism reduced to this level of inanity.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts