Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
The real consideration (for me, at least) would be to upgrade the ECU of the 135i through a Dinan-authorized BMW dealer (such as mine). My wife took our BMW in for service a few weeks ago and spoke to our salesman about the 135i on my behalf. He suggested a 135i with the Dinan software upgrade ($1900), which does not alter the warranty of the vehicle (if done by an authorized dealer). The result:

1. BMW 135i (well-optioned) -> $41,000 - $1500 (discount from dealer) = $39,500

2. Dinan upgrade = $1900

3. Total = $41,400 (plus tax, etc.) and 385 HP and 420 lb/ft of torque!

It is tempting...

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
He suggested a 135i with the Dinan software upgrade ($1900), which does not alter the warranty of the vehicle (if done by an authorized dealer).
You might want to read the fine print there. Dinan warrants its parts. If your Dinan part causes, for example, brakes to fail because you have more HP than the car was designed for, I doubt Dinan is going to cover the brakes. Nor will BMWUSA, most likely, cover them either as the damage was caused by an aftermarket part.

Further, look carefully at the BMW dealers. Not all BMW dealers are Dinan dealers and if you break down and no Dinan dealer around, the other BMW dealers may not touch your car. After all, they are not a Dinan dealer for one reason or the other.

Just something to think about. There are no free rides;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might want to read the fine print there. Dinan warrants its parts. If your Dinan part causes, for example, brakes to fail because you have more HP than the car was designed for, I doubt Dinan is going to cover the brakes. Nor will BMWUSA, most likely, cover them either as the damage was caused by an aftermarket part.

Further, look carefully at the BMW dealers. Not all BMW dealers are Dinan dealers and if you break down and no Dinan dealer around, the other BMW dealers may not touch your car. After all, they are not a Dinan dealer for one reason or the other.

Just something to think about. There are no free rides;)

:gossip:

That still doesn't discount the fact you can have a BMW 135i w/stage2 Dinan kit offering; 404HP / 453TQ (crank), weighing in at 3200lbs, with a comendable suspension tune........ for the Price of a Cayman S!

Obviously, the CS has a handling advantage, but as we just saw... you cannot hold your head to high, this is a BMW with a moonroof that just equaled a Cayman in handling. But let not us also forget, OMG... a 404HP spartan bimmer..??

This car is a winner! Hopefully I'll own both someday!

-Garrett

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
That still doesn't discount the fact you can have a BMW 135i w/stage2 Dinan kit offering; 404HP / 453TQ (crank), weighing in at 3200lbs, with a comendable suspension tune........ for the Price of a Cayman S!
That is not my point.

In case you missed it, the point is that BMW does not cover the Dinan parts but rather Dinan does. If a Dinan part causes problems, then I wouldn't hold my breath that BMWUSA covers it. Dinan is still aftermarket.

Not all BMW dealers are Dinan dealers. Many are not and that is another issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is not my point.

In case you missed it, the point is that BMW does not cover the Dinan parts but rather Dinan does. If a Dinan part causes problems, then I wouldn't hold my breath that BMWUSA covers it. Dinan is still aftermarket.

Not all BMW dealers are Dinan dealers. Many are not and that is another issue.
Oh, I guess you missed my point. The Dinan upgrade was ancillary to my argument. The 135i doesn't need a Dinan stage to beat/match the Cayman S, either....! So why not make it more obscene by spending that saved $7k on Dinan mods. You can't touch that.... a freaking GT entering the Sports-car arena...???

Need I mention a Cayman is a mid-engine flat-6, cult status Porsche, that is universally heralded as one of the greatest handling cars ever made...

...then have it stagnate and usurped by vanguard engineering from BMW. Simply put, Porsche hit an engineering wall or devoted too much of their resources into the Panamera. Encroaching on Audi, MB and BMW territory..?

Your point on warranty is moot. It doesn't matter that on rare occasions, Dinan will void their 4 year warranty on their aftermarket parts.... its that you already saved $17k in not buying a Cayman S and can have a 404HP BMW that gets 30mpg and tears it up on the track.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Still wouldn't buy a BMW over a Porsche. Lest we forget, according to the recent Top Gear magazine, the CS spanked even the BMW M3 on the track. Must have something going for it. And for around 10 grand, you can turbocharge the CS and have 425 RWHP. We will see as time passes which is best remembered. The Audi R8, with all it's hype, already seems to be all but forgotten. I've been reading this same stuff for about 40 years now, about the newest sports car that was sure to kick Porsche's rear end, but still Porsche hangs in there and survives. I've seen Porsche at death's door at least twice. Look at the power house it has now become, with the resources of Europe's largest automobile manufacturer at it's disposal. Who knows what it will become. If they make VW as efficient as they have become, look out Toyota.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
One more thing. You can take a Subaru and make it accelerate like a Ferrari 599. I know that this would not change my mind about purchasing a 599. That is, if I could afford one. Unfortunately, the CS will continue to be grossly handicapped as long as the 911 is around, as a previous poster pointed out. And I suppose that the 911 and Cayman will be ignored a little until the Panamera is fully developed. Who can blame Porsche for building the Panamera. Look at the money the Cayenne made them. It is a business after all, with profit being the bottom line. If folks were so upset with the products that Porsche are selling these days, they can vote with their right foot and buy something else. But that is definitely not happening.

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
its that you already saved $17k in not buying a Cayman S and can have a 404HP BMW that gets 30mpg and tears it up on the track.
:confused: I was responding to uboatcommander bringing up warranty information.

You responded about something else. I tried to clarify I was only talking about potential problems with aftermarket warranties. Nothing more.

I, for one, could care less a BMW costs umpteen thousand dollars less and goes 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds and top speed of 412 mph. I was talking aftermarket warranties, not arguing if one car was faster than another, their relative costs, or whatever.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting: I was in the US when this was on and missed it; just caught it on YouTube.

I looked at a then top of the range 1 series before I chose the Cayman 2.7. In 130i M Sport form it was still quicker than the Cayman, but the combination of 18" wheels, run flat tyres and M Sport suspension produced an atrocious ride on UK roads. I mean you started to try and steer around anything bigger than a 50p piece to save further damage to your spine, and fast 'B' road stuff was limited by the wheels spending more time in the air than on the tarmac. The PASM Cayman is sublime in comparison.

Either BMW have massively imprived their suspension or running this 'test' on Silverstone's
smooth tarmac has negated the effect of the Porsche's chassis superiority.

SS7

·
Registered
139 Posts
:confused: I was responding to uboatcommander bringing up warranty information.

You responded about something else. I tried to clarify I was only talking about potential problems with aftermarket warranties. Nothing more.

I, for one, could care less a BMW costs umpteen thousand dollars less and goes 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds and top speed of 412 mph. I was talking aftermarket warranties, not arguing if one car was faster than another, their relative costs, or whatever.

I guess you not getting the overall picture. Voiding of the Dinan warranty is only a potential problem if you mess with Dinan's warranty rules. It has happened but very rare... so lets endlessly talk about something that might happen given enough fault on the owner.

You can also void your Porsche's warranty if you do something stupid aswell...

...what was your point again?

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I had Dinan do work to my E36 M3 years ago. They took it from 240HP to 360HP. Supercharger, etc. Zero issues. California Smog legal. Zero downside except that quality and attention to detail costs money.

If Dinan did Porsche work, I would be there right now.

If I bought a 135i, it would go to Dinan before it made it home. I wouldn't even consider it a a "mod". That is how good they are.

I wish there were a Dinan for Caymans. I guess Ruf is the closest thing, but I don't know about CARB certification.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Then again, it looks like **** and in the end its just another BMW, almost completely transparent on the road and perfectly forgettable. In ten years time it will be completely forgotten yet the Cayman will be a classic and if all goes well the 987 will be the last Boxster/Cayman build on a chassis that isn't shared with the VW group and I'll cherish mine till I'm old. How many people buy 1 series BMW's with that intent?
Oddly enough, I’ve owned both the cars in question over the last few years, and 135i values have flattened (not to mention outrageous 1M prices.) Now that we’re 10 years out, and modern cars have become so dead and electronic, the old BMW 1 series has become a somewhat of a cult classic, with a bit of the old 2002 DNA. I actually plan on driving it until I’m old. Hilariously, when I brought my Cayman to Porsche Club events, it was always largely ignored by others always looking for the coolest 911. With the 135i at BMW Club meetings, I get a lot more attention.

As far as a comparison between the two, they’re both great cars, and the BMW excels in speed and utility, whereas the Porsche excels in turns. I reworked the 135i suspension, and, while it’s still no Cayman, it’s much, much better than stock. Of course, a $100 tune has it running around 350 hp/400 tq, so it’s fast as heck. Even a 987S would have a hard time keeping up with my mild mods. Oddly enough, I actually prefer the seats, steering wheel and overall interior of the BMW.

When it comes to looks, I prefer the Cayman, but the 135i has aged well.

p.s. fun fact: the two cars are essentially identical in length.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, I also own both cars, having been a BMW guy for many years and recently acquired my first Porsche, a 2007 987.1 Cayman S - 6MT. I am enjoying the Cayman, but my 2011 JB4 tuned N55 with DCT is razor sharp. These are different driving experiences for sure. The Cayman gets more attention here in my neck of the woods. I plan on keeping both cars forever, each has mid 50k mileage and with values expected to hold....

61 - 74 of 74 Posts