Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
the guy was clearing confused while shifting...

Even porsche states PDK is faster in a straight line and on the track.

And by the way, he didnt mention anything about SC+ (which shifts twice as fast vs a pdk car with no SC+) maybe he didnt use it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The driver drives for the BTCC, British Touring Car Championship, he can peddle a car very well, he liked the VAG DSG box for an auto

I’d say he didn’t use any driver aids on either car, for a fairer back to back comaparison.

·
Kestrel Racing
578 Posts
Pretty pathetic attempt at a comparison...

First of all, I'm a "manual guy", and I can't see myself buying a PDK. Secondly, I like Jason Plato, and think he's a reasonably good "car guy", driver and presenter.

But this video just annoys me. He never got comfortable in the PDK, and was clearly "fighting" the PDK during his supposedly fast lap. I think that if he spent a little more time with the PDK and got really comfortable with it's operation before trying his fast lap, he'd find the results to be a lot closer.

His review did nothing to answer the "which is faster/better, manual or PDK" argument... which is probably just as well. Who really cares? Buy the one that fits your driving style best and have fun either way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Pretty pathetic attempt at a comparison...

I doubt very much it was his first lap, I’d imagine he’d been out there having fun for hours before they started filming, but he’s a driver after all and likes to interact with the car as much as possible.

A 100% fair test. Probably not, but it doesn’t take away from the fact the PDK should have paddles and shift in the opposite way

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Pretty pathetic attempt at a comparison...

But this video just annoys me. He never got comfortable in the PDK, and was clearly "fighting" the PDK during his supposedly fast lap. I think that if he spent a little more time with the PDK and got really comfortable with it's operation before trying his fast lap, he'd find the results to be a lot closer.
I'm a manual guy too, but I'd like to see this run by someone who is more familiar and comfortable with the PDK for a fairer comparison.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm sure if he left in in super-duper-sport mode it would have been faster but there he was, trying to control it!

G.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Guys:
It comes down to one thing and one thing only: Which gearbox is more satisfying to you as a driver/user of the car? Once you have an answer nobody really cares which one goes faster, etc.? You want a faster car from zero to 62 mph, then buy a corvette; cheaper by the way.
Just a thought.
:thanks:

·
Registered
417 Posts
One more thing: according to Porsche official publication the difference in time is 0.1 second in favor of the PDK from 0 to 62. I trust Porsche is correct and maybe even conservative. Now someone is going to tell my you car really feel the difference in time! I do not think so. MT or PDK? Just enjoy the car and be happy with your choice. I, myself, as stated in a previous post, had to give this issue a lot of thoughts before settling for a MT. It is one option you will regret if you go wrong. A sport car is about satisfaction and nothing else.
:thanks:

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Clearly the guy was biased against (and uncomfortable using) the PDK from the outset, which makes their whole conclusion that Manual is faster on the track, invalid. The only conclusion you can draw from their "test" was that the PDK is slower in the hands of that particular driver.

The facts are that PDK does shift faster gear to gear than is possible with a Manual, and the PDK protects against accidental over-revs that can occur when downshifting a Manual. After that, it's all what you are most comfortable with . . .

A chacun son gout . . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
The facts are that PDK does shift faster gear to gear than is possible with a Manual, and the PDK protects against accidental over-revs that can occur when downshifting a Manual. After that, it's all what you are most comfortable with . . .

Isn't that the point though, if the PDK is over cautious on when it downshifts, then your going into the next corner in the wrong gear of without confidence, either way it doesn’t help lap times.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Isn't that the point though, if the PDK is over cautious on when it downshifts, then your going into the next corner in the wrong gear of without confidence, either way it doesn’t help lap times.
I'm not sure I would describe it as "over cautious" - it is merely waiting until the speed (drivetrain rpms) is low enough to match the engine rpms without going over the redline (which is what you should be doing with a MT anyway). Since it downshifts sequentially through the gears, you can preselect your next gear by tapping the downshift button as many times as you want, and it will get there as soon as feasible. For example, if you are in 5th gear, and want to be in 2nd on exiting a turn, you can just tap it 3 times in a row.

On the other hand, if you are in 5th gear in a MT car, and you accidentally downshift to 2nd instead of 4th, you might blow your engine.l

Clearly there must be some advantage to using clutchlless, paddle-type trannys on the track, or they wouldn't be in use in F1, IRL, WRC, etc. where people are in the business of winning races.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I am not going to commment on the "purity" of the experience, or personal preference...

Can we agree that the PDK controls are not intuiitive and that Porsche should have offered paddles straight away instead of getting cute by trying to make a "rounder circle"?

Plato had to think about what he was doing. Frankly, it is a testament to his skill that he wasn't MUCH SLOWER considering his frustration and diverted attention.

Once properly acquainted with the controls, and on a track featuring more than 40-some freaking seconds of turns...I have no doubt that the PDK would shine. Especially in a Cayman. Why? Because it lets you select the right gear for any section of track without hesitation. You can use 2nd for a couple of seconds where you would never bother in a manual. And, of course, it eliminates slight acceleration lags during manual shifting on the straights. I learned this driving a GT-R and the point was emphasized by observing a GT3 and it's ability to hold a gear because of it's high reving motor. I would bet that on a 2 minute plus circuit, the ability to stay in the sweet rpm zone is worth a couple of seconds. Especially in a Cayman. We don't have 500 foot pounds of torque. Well, most of us don't.

Maybe we need CVTs? LOL.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I cant watch the video at work, but will check it out later tonight.

Plato is a good driver and a decent reviewer of cars.

I find it funny when people get their knickers in a twist whenever someone criticises the PDK buttons , lever operation. It is counter-intuitive. I dont know why, but it is.

I drove a Maserati with the paddle shifters and not once did I have to think what gear I had to select or what hand to use.

In both a DCT VW and time with a Carrera with PDK was always ackward. Too much thought into shifting.

I believe Porsche will address these issues, hopefully by reversing the very silly forwards or up to shift up and I remember reading somewhere that they will offer paddles on the next years run of cars.

They had a hard decision to make, alienate their traditional steptronic buyers vs everyone else (but the diehards).

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
If i want auto control of what is to me the basic art of manual shifting i'll buy an automatic cadilac.If you have some kind of disability that prevents you from shifting then to me pdk or tiptronic makes sence.Otherwise if it aint a stick its not a sports car.Even my 13 year old son tells me that.....:)

·
Registered
648 Posts
If the buttons were a good idea then they wouldn't be redesigning the system after such a short period of time.

Ta-da!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Porsche did the PDK button style design to follow on from the Tiptronic concept.

However, sometimes you have to do a reality check and ask yourself "did we do it right the first time?", and should we continue to subscribe to the philosophy of "well thats how did did it before".
Sometimes you just have to sit up and take a good look around.
This is what I find is common in companies. Clearly, Porsche senior staff are to blame for this one. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts