Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had an email from my dealer this morning seeking an update on my spec.

I'm still not sure as to go for GT Silver (which my 718 GTS was), or go for Crayon / Chalk.

I think Crayon / Chalk would look great, but I think it would become tiresome after a few weeks? I also think the Crayon / Chalk needs colour centre crests... please see below.

QUESTION

Does anyone know if you can spec coloured centre wheel crests instead of the GT4 centre crests... similar to what the Spyder has?

g-05.jpg

g-01.jpg

OR

c-03.jpg

c-01.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,

I'm still not sure as to go for GT Silver (which my 718 GTS was), or go for Crayon / Chalk.

I think Crayon / Chalk would look great, but I think it would become tiresome after a few weeks? I also think the Crayon / Chalk needs colour centre crests... please see below.

QUESTION

Does anyone know if you can spec coloured centre wheel crests instead of the GT4 centre crests... similar to what the Spyder has?
I imagine the center caps for these wheels are the same dimensions as other Porsche wheels, and that you'd be able to order satin black Porsche crests for any Porsche wheel and it will fit. (Meaning, order it separately and not with the car)
That being said, I see no real need for it on the Chalk car: with black wheels + yellow calipers I think it looks great as is.
If I wasn't so set on having "a color" (blue/yellow/red), I'd be strongly considering Chalk with PCCB + black wheels just like you have. I definitely like the non-metallic colors better on the GT cars

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Hi,

QUESTION

As was already suggested, I believe that the center caps on these wheels are of a standard size, but also think that the 'GT4' caps look great, very classy, not that the Porsche logo doesn't fit as well, personal choice.

Regarding the colour of the car, I like Chalk and as an option on the GT4, Aurum would look fantastic on the wheels.

Personally I feel any silver on a Porsche is way too main stream, I need colour, my Spyder will either be Gentian Blue or Racing Yellow... :)

BTW, you mentioned before that your order was to close soon, what would be your expected build and delivery dates? Here in Canada we are being told nothing will arrive on our shores until next spring.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say go with what you like better. The coloured center caps can be purchased or you can ask the dealer if they would be able to change those when the car arrives (probably some other people want the GT4 caps) or ask for a swap in here or Ebay.

I’m with Westcoaster about colors, I prefer those that are not the standard white, black, red, silver... so once I get an allocation for my Spyder (being told here in the USA it will be in the fall) I was between gentian blue, Miami blue or PTS (if available).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I'm somewhat a purist when it comes to changing things on a car, so if coloured centre crests are not an option from the factory, I don't like the idea of changing them... I know, I'm painful.

As per photo below, I think they work much better than the GT4 centre crests... however I would prefer a matt finish.

My dealer said it should be here in October, so I'm a little surprised that they want to lock down my spec so soon.

a8914534-c1b3-411a-a757-7f951d53fb9f.jpg

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thanks all.

I'm somewhat a purist when it comes to changing things on a car, so if coloured centre crests are not an option from the factory, I don't like the idea of changing them... I know, I'm painful.

As per photo below, I think they work much better than the GT4 centre crests... however I would prefer a matt finish.

My dealer said it should be here in October, so I'm a little surprised that they want to lock down my spec so soon.

View attachment 208669
Aren't the black wheels actually a Satin Black? (looks good BTW)

As for delivery in October, IIRC the factory still shuts down in August so perhaps they need the locked in orders before then so come September they can have the parts ready to go and build the early cars... You guys are lucky to get them so soon, so is your car a 2019 or 2020 model?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't the black wheels actually a Satin Black? (looks good BTW)

As for delivery in October, IIRC the factory still shuts down in August so perhaps they need the locked in orders before then so come September they can have the parts ready to go and build the early cars... You guys are lucky to get them so soon, so is your car a 2019 or 2020 model?
Sorry, yes that is what I said above... "however I would prefer a matt finish".

I think they will force me to register mine in 2019 even if it arrives in December because of their numbers and allocation, which is disappointing. It was one of the first things they said to me when they offered it to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve placed a deposit on a Spyder with my local dealer (which I’m guessing is the largest in my state). I’m among the first of three deposits as of last I asked a few weeks ago. They, however, don’t even have allocations yet, and don’t expect them until Q4. Initial deliveries aren’t anticipated until Q2 2020. I apparently have until about October to spec my build. Is the GT4 being produced on a different schedule from the Spyder?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I’ve placed a deposit on a Spyder with my local dealer (which I’m guessing is the largest in my state). I’m among the first of three deposits as of last I asked a few weeks ago. They, however, don’t even have allocations yet, and don’t expect them until Q4. Initial deliveries aren’t anticipated until Q2 2020. I apparently have until about October to spec my build. Is the GT4 being produced on a different schedule from the Spyder?
The OP is in Ireland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since we are talking about build specs.....

I am trying to decide on Ceramic brakes or not. More for the handling/ride aspect than anything else due to the lower unsprung weight. I am okay spending the money if it will actually improve my driving experience. I am looking for improved ride and steering response due to the lower unsprung weight. I will see a few track days, and a lot of country/mountain road driving. If it really won't make a difference, and if the pedal feel is too soft, I will pass.

Opinions, please.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
With PCCB just one thing to consider: they can get noisy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awwwe come on... you can type a little better information than that! ;)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Since we are talking about build specs.....

I am trying to decide on Ceramic brakes or not. More for the handling/ride aspect than anything else due to the lower unsprung weight. I am okay spending the money if it will actually improve my driving experience. I am looking for improved ride and steering response due to the lower unsprung weight. I will see a few track days, and a lot of country/mountain road driving. If it really won't make a difference, and if the pedal feel is too soft, I will pass.

Opinions, please.
I too will be ordering PCCB, they are not needed for their braking power but the other items you note will be improved due the reduced mass. And as for the look, just way over the top! :)

Never heard anyone else mention a soft pedal feel though?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've just heard this about ceramics in general -the initial bite isn't as immediate as with iron discs. Never owned a car that had them so I don't know what they are actually like to live with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe it was just my experience, but the 3 cars I drove with PCCB where noisy when breaking (specially at low speed). I tested them on a 718, 991.2 GT3 and a 991.1 Turbo. Again, that was my experience and might not be the norm but it turned me off on PCCBs.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I've just heard this about ceramics in general -the initial bite isn't as immediate as with iron discs. Never owned a car that had them so I don't know what they are actually like to live with.
A question that I will have to ask one of the many Porsche owners in the club that have them, I had inquired before and in general they all said they were great, no negative feedback, but perhaps they were only sharing the good? Here they are over $9000 as an option, I would hate to be disappointed!

Maybe it was just my experience, but the 3 cars I drove with PCCB where noisy when breaking (specially at low speed). I tested them on a 718, 991.2 GT3 and a 991.1 Turbo. Again, that was my experience and might not be the norm but it turned me off on PCCBs.

Thanks for the details of your experiences, where these new cars or ones that had seen enough miles that the brakes were broken in? (assuming they need a settling in period like iron brakes)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good point Westcoaster. So these were newish vehicles in the dealer lot (can remember exact mileage, but would say all of them below 500 miles except for GT3 that had around 1000). What I recommend everyone when ordering a car is to go and try the different parts of your configuration in the dealer available cars. When I was ordering my 718 I wanted to try PCCBs and the 18 way sport seats. After initially trying the PCCBs on a 718 and asking about the noise we tried on a Turbo. The GT3 I tried it earlier this year as I was mulling over getting one, and the damn noise was there. Just go and try it at the dealer when you are ready to pull the trigger. It might have been weather related or that the cars were not being used too often.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay....so I just did an online search on carbon ceramic brakes and noise. Turns it is a problem with every manufacturer. In fact BMW is being sued in California due to the unbearable noise of its carbon ceramic brakes. Problems are also reported for Mercedes and Jaguar.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If it’ll be mainly a track toy, who cares about noisy brakes!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Okay....so I just did an online search on carbon ceramic brakes and noise. Turns it is a problem with every manufacturer. In fact BMW is being sued in California due to the unbearable noise of its carbon ceramic brakes. Problems are also reported for Mercedes and Jaguar.
I have been doing a little side research as well, it would seem a lot of the 'stories' out there are about the older variants of the ceramic brakes (which are always improving), and or people incorrectly understanding their use and care! This link picks up where I posted to a very old thread and posed some questions, I also added the links for some interesting options when it comes to keeping these rotors on the car.

So with what I have read and learned I will still be checking the box for PCCB on my 718 Spyder! :)

https://www.planet-9.com/911-complaints/95429-beware-premature-failure-porsche-pccb-ceramic-brakes.html#post2125487

1 - 20 of 36 Posts