Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took me long enough ! I've lusted after a Cayman since they came out, but I had just bought a base 987 at the time, and upgrading would have been financial suicide...

5 years later, I took a chance and drove 300 miles roundtrip to go check out a used car far far away... just in case I took my current car's title and a checkbook ;-) It went well, I overpaid slightly for the car, they overpaid even more for my trade-in, and me "eating" a little spoiler ding allowed us to reach an agreement exactly as I had budgeted!

Behold my 2006 Cayman S - believe it or not - *exactly* as I would have spec'ed it. Not lying, not rationalizing, it's "my" car... Carrera White, black interior, stick, 18" wheels of exactly the style I wanted, red seat belts which actually are a bonus for the black interior, the triangular "cheapo" steering wheel which I actually prefer (sue me! ;-), no PASM which I also wanted (more flexibility in upgrades for the track), I kid you not, the PO bought MY car, he just did not know it ;-)

So yeah, you can spot the ding on the spoiler, surely. I have a friend who can fix that real well and almost free.. he did my 912 recently, perfect...

Hi !

Gotta rearrange this, next to an older P-car, the CS is HUGE ;-)
And before you call me a lucky bastard - which I am :dance: - the used CS + my 2 oldies still costs less than a new *base* Cayman ! So there, easy on the pitchforks, I just have good taste ;-)

Couple comments/Qs from the excited-guy-that-just-came-home-in-his-987CS and hasn't even read the manual yet !

- I remember the seats wider and comfier, I wonder if that's got anything to do with me gaining 20 lbs since 2005. Working on that ! (with a diet, not wider seats)

- I forgot there was no dipstick, forget the level, how do you know if your oil is dirty ?? ;-) Seriously though, please tell me if an oil filter for a 2005 boxster will work for the 2006 CaymanS ??? I got 2 leftovers + the socket, I'd love to change my own oil tomorrow...

- I put my 986 spare tire +jack in the trunk. I kept it for 4 years after I bought it for the boxster, waiting for the day ! Yes !!!

- Is the transparent engine cover loud, hot and easily scratched ? I probably won't do it right away but I'm curious !

- Can't wait to find the old style black PORSCHE script to try on the sides, circa 1970, it'll unite the Cayman with my oldies !

- I have 2 old Boxster badges, and this CaymanS. I'm tempted to debadge but first assemble an authentic CroxsterS badge... Is that childish ? :taunt:

- Last one: My trade in, a GTI, KILLED the CS in 1500-4000 RPM torque ;-) Ok, it was chipped to 260+ lb/ft.... But once you reach 4000, the CS just replies "Bye now little VW" - I won't even mention handling, it's good to be back in the mid engine rear wheel drive fold !

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great car and Carrara White looks great on a Cayman.

The seats in my CS07 are also narrow and firm, though I like them that way.

There was an oil dipstick thread here recently. I suspect both the Porsche Engineers and oil manufacturers would tell us that looking at the oil really won't tell us anything.

Yea, the engine in my CS07 really doesn't wake up until 4K. The engine in my VW (a 1.8 turbo) had a very different feel. Just the one of those things that makes cars all very different. Enjoy the sound of the flat 6 :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congratulations and wow, you have two of my favorite cars--an early 911 and a 2002. You are a lucky b------!
Welcome.
BW

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats. That is a nice addition to the stable.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
lol at the cayman being huge ;)
I know but it is :) It's wider than the old 911 by at least 10" in track, at least for my ramps, it won't fit my old ramp - the tires roll over on each side. Longer and much taller too ;) Eveything is getting bigger, me included !

Just changed the oil -only put 8 qts but overfilled apparently. Got a brief oil pressure low message but it went away immediately, not enough oil in the filter maybe, lesson learned....it did not reappear nor logged anything in the messages. Topped of the coolant by a *very* small amount with BMW coolant, hope it is compatible but really, it's so minute it would not matter (0.5%)... I'll wait 15min for another oil measurement and drain some if need be.... I overfill the air-cooled one too, it's a disease.

Edit: nope, strike the above, perfect one bar below max. I *CAN* read instructions after all! The car was premature... Ah, I miss dipsticks... More accurate and you could see if the oil was dirty before you replaced it! Progress ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still have the 2002? I remember your first question to the forum and I'm glad it appears as though you've still got that one. Your pic's looked like it was gorgeous and a definite keeper.
Don't believe JPEGs ! Actually my 02 is pretty nice and rust free but the paint is not that great. Working on it, one panel at a time ! I did not sell it, no, as the diff between my GTI and the CS was $20,000 out the door, and I had no previous car payment. I can swing that for a year or 2 until I decide what to do..

I'm thinking my 911 might go eventually, it's somewhat redundant now... Not as classic as the 912, not as fast as the CS ! But there is no immediate need to do anything, just enjoy the car ! I dismantled my ramps and reassembled them to accomodate teh Cayman... went from 1 plank wide and 4 high to 2 planks wide and 2 high... It's that much wider ! Thankfully it still clears the lift arms ! I also need the airbag deactivation installed for the kid !

Der 02 is not on the photo because it's getting a front suspension/steering box refresh.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Took it to the dealer today for a check up and the baby seat "kit" install.

Pleasant surprise, the installed kit was $480 - cheaper than I've read... Resulting in a lot of fun for junior ! Except he takes a perverse pleasure opening and closing the cup holder cover with his foot, that's gonna break sooner or later...

I had them replace a tire, pull the codes (nothing except one misfire <1 second), do the brake fluid, and the car came back with a pass from the inspection, "very nice especially given the age". They said I may want to do the plugs since they're 4 years old, but given the low mileage I could probably wait a while... Clean bill of health, I'd better book a track day at Sebring !

·
Registered
882 Posts
congrats and enjoy the new ride.
Ditto. May I suggest you really study the owner's manual as there are lots of nifty features inside.

Lots of enginerring thought went into the Cayman. I was cleaning the front wheel wells of my 2006 CS the other day and I wondered why there is a 4 inch by 5 inch chute just inside the rubber flap at the front of the wheel well. Then I saw a similar rubber flap on the lower control arm shaped to direct ram air on the lower half of the brake disk. Slick huh ?? Ed

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
May I suggest you really study the owner's manual as there are lots of nifty features inside.
I did already, did not really find anything new, but my car is something of a stripper - less toys to play with. Do you have an example of a cool feature I'm not thinking of ?

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the car. It's probably the porsche that most "fits" me. And it's pretty rare on the roads too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.