Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it has been a few years since I was at the track. I'm doing a PCA HPDE event this weekend at High Plains and can't exactly recall what all to bring with me. I could use the collective wisdom of this board for insight.

Previously I was in BMW's and surrounded by lots of people I knew well and had know for years. Now I'm in a different state, different car club, and don't know anyone or the track. I haven't had this car on the track either. I also haven't been on a track in over 10 years so I put myself in the novice group.

List of things to bring:
Car (duh)
helmet (duh again)
layers of clothes
chair
food
cooler
water

What else? I used to bring a jack with me, some spare brake pads, brake fluid, tools, and that's about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
So, it has been a few years since I was at the track. I'm doing a PCA HPDE event this weekend at High Plains and can't exactly recall what all to bring with me. I could use the collective wisdom of this board for insight.

Previously I was in BMW's and surrounded by lots of people I knew well and had know for years. Now I'm in a different state, different car club, and don't know anyone or the track. I haven't had this car on the track either. I also haven't been on a track in over 10 years so I put myself in the novice group.

List of things to bring:
Car (duh)
helmet (duh again)
layers of clothes
chair
food
cooler
water

What else? I used to bring a jack with me, some spare brake pads, brake fluid, tools, and that's about it.

Thanks!
Torque Wrench
Gloves (for working on your car, handling tires, etc)
Gloves (for driving, if you wear 'em)
Driving shoes/sneakers (if it's gonna/was damp, you may want one pair just for driving)
GoPro (batteries, chargers, etc.)
GoPro mounts
Tarp (cover your gear in case it rains/grass is muddy)
Tire pressure gauge (a reliable one)
OBDII bluetooth adapter
Numbers for your car (I usually bring painter's tape too)
Sunglasses
Laptop (to offload video from the goPro, and so I can jump into any work emergencies 'cause that's what my life has become...)
Cell phone charger
Beer, for when driving is done

Oh, and, I'm going to the track this weekend too =)

·
Registered
437 Posts
So, it has been a few years since I was at the track.

I also haven't been on a track in over 10 years
I did notice the difference between at the track and on the track at the last minute.

I realize that autocross is not the same as the track but I just went for the first time last weekend and saw people that brought a ton of stuff including chairs and what not. I also noticed that nobody really used any of the stuff they brought it just sat over in the parking lot. So I was glad that I didn't bring a bunch of stuff. The only thing I wish i did bring was some food and drink.

Reactions: halcyon

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
What else?
You've got it covered for the most part. I would not go without torque wrench (do not forget extender as well), good tire pressure gauge, small compressor (for the trip to the track, there is usually air at the track) and some painter's tape. I have full front clear bra but I protect headlights and rocker panels.

All other stuff you could bring (electronics with chargers, nomex suit, driving shoes ... all the way to the extra set of wheels and tires) is mostly optional in my opinion. Opinion, not The Truth :)

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
+1 on track ins

Jack stands + jack
hat
wrenches
old tire bag to put tools in incase of rain

Yes I drag most of the stuff to the track and don't use it, but you'll need it if something goes wrong. Since you don't know anyone yet, I would be a bit sheepish asking for something from someone else. I'm sure they'd loan me whatever I needed, but not the impression I'd want to give right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good suggestions.

Also sunscreen/ hat. I like to have a track map and a small notebook and pen. I record tire pressures, how the session went, also feedback from instructors and classroom sessions. If I jot things down I'm more likely to remember them.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I've personally seen zedcat taking meticulous notes. Maybe that's why he's so fast. :cheers:

Throw in a set of ear plugs. You may not need them at High Planes, but you'll be glad you have them if you do. Club racers can be loud.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Notebook is a great suggestion. I record tire pressures, ambient temps, lap times, impressions of the session, and pro coaching advice. Never stop learning the sport of performance driving. I was at AAA Fontana last week and Patrick long walked up to me. I offered my right seat and he politely declined. :(

Reactions: halcyon

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I was at AAA Fontana last week and Patrick long walked up to me. I offered my right seat and he politely declined. :(
Doesn't mean a thing, don't beat yourself up over it. He might have been forbidden to take rides as a passenger by God knows what obscure clause in his contract. Or, he simply might have refused the right seat even if you were Mark Webber or Kimi Raikkonen. I would NOT seek ride with my instructors and often politely decline when they ask if I want to go. Riding with someone like Kimi or Patrick Long? JP Morgan doesn't have enough money in their vault to pay me to be in the passenger of a sports car driven by one of them. Some people just like to be in control of the car regardless of the talent of who is in the driver's seat - I know I am like that. So maybe Patrick is the same way. I remember seeing a video where Sebastian Vettel was driving an Infiniti sedan (or coupe?) on track and Webber was in passenger seat. He was not freaking out, but he was visibly uncomfortable - and believe me when I tell you that he didn't doubt Vettel's skill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.