Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Cayman R springs and struts installed on my 2011 Cayman S. All parts were purchased at and installed at Sewickley Porsche just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. First of all, Joe Serbin (sp?) was extremely helpful in explaining my options for suspension upgrades. I was pretty much set on going with the R retrofit but it was good to hear some of the other options available to me. I also had the black Spyder tailpipe installed along with oil change and state inspection. Brandon, my SA, was helpful throughout the process as usual.

I picked the car up yesterday and only drove about 7 miles from the dealer to my home so my impressions thus far are limited. First of all, I measured the car before and after. The car now sits 1" lower at all 4 corners....a little more than I expected. The car looks perfect at this height in my opinion.

I didn't push the car much on my way home but the car is much more responsive and rides flat through the curves. Overall the car feels tighter and firm but not at all harsh. The car was aligned to R specs.

I am very happy with the results thus far and would recommend this mod without reservation. Also, very happy with the service at Sewickley Porsche.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Very nice and post your loner term impressions when available.

Also, a before and after pictures would help a lot.

Lastly, what did it cost you to have the suspension installed?

Eddie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have no clue, actually, but it does seem logical because they are virtually the same machine from the same Cayman generation. At 1" lower, I'm real curious how many scrapes you will encounter and if you can avoid them all by being careful. Please keep us posted on your front scrape experiences with this new setup, and how you like it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you hear something scraping, chances are it's the rubber flaps in front of your front wheels scraping. Mine scrape on pretty much every time I drove over a speed bump or funky roads. The aerokit scrapes a lot less.

Mine is lowered by about 12mm compared to non-PASM standard suspension cars btw. I have Bilstein B16 coilovers + factory aerokit. I'm quite surprised how many places the car clears actually. As an idea, this is what my car looks like (it has sagged another 1mm since I took this picture):

IMG_1797.JPG

I can't even tuck the front of my foot under the flaps without touching them ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the R suspension and love it , the previous owner had already done it along with the Sport Exhaust. Sped bumps and poor roads aren't , but the handling is wonderful

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow for service and a full R suspension upfit. :dance:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I am very interested in hearing your opinion especially on comfort. I am contemplating a slightly used Cayman R suspension. I currently have H&R sport springs and while I love the handling I dislike the bouncing on bad roads (50K miles on the shocks probably don't help). I am hoping the R suspension will handle at least as well without the negatives. Has anyone been able to compare the H&R springs with the Cayman R suspension?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Hey, I am very interested in hearing your opinion especially on comfort. I am contemplating a slightly used Cayman R suspension. I currently have H&R sport springs and while I love the handling I dislike the bouncing on bad roads (50K miles on the shocks probably don't help). I am hoping the R suspension will handle at least as well without the negatives. Has anyone been able to compare the H&R springs with the Cayman R suspension?
I'm assuming H&R's give you the same feel as Eibach's. The ride with the Cayman R suspension will be noticeably softer, handles just as well with slightly less turn in. Its a great compromise and I'm always a fan of less wheel gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts