Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Regarding my 2008 Cayman S - so I had this creaking sound over my left shoulder - it was driving me nuts. I would hear it every time the left side of the car went over bumps. I've now concluded that there were 2 causes:

1) Loose bolt securing the b-pillar - I removed the seat belt post and tightened this bolt. This definitely removed one source of the creak but there was still another....

Finally:

2) I put some felt tape on the drivers door window top edge (see pic). This pretty much eliminated all the creaks. It does not seem like a lubrication issue (not rubber on glass sound), rather the felt is keeping the window more secure so it's not vibrating over the bumps.

So, obviously the felt is a temporary fix, but at least I finally found the source. What should I tell the dealer to do, tighten the window? Is this something I can do myself or requires the dealer? I'm just worried a trip to the dealer will make it worse, or something else will loosen and start to rattle if he takes the door apart.

Many thanks in advance.
Nova

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I recommend treating the gaskets with silicone grease. You can get it in a tube at most auto parts stores. Apply a light coating and buff it a bit to remove excess. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I asked my dealer about 2 spots I saw on my windows that would not wipe off. I was told that there are pads in the doors that keep the glass from rattling. But I believe that is intended for when the windows are down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend treating the gaskets with silicone grease. You can get it in a tube at most auto parts stores. Apply a light coating and buff it a bit to remove excess. A little goes a long way.
Blueone - by gaskets, do you mean the rubber seals (vertical strip on the side and horizontal above the door) that the door window rests on when it's closed?

It does not seem like the rubber is causing the creak, but rather, the movement of the window from not being secure.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Blueone - by gaskets, do you mean the rubber seals (vertical strip on the side and horizontal above the door) that the door window rests on when it's closed?

It does not seem like the rubber is causing the creak, but rather, the movement of the window from not being secure.

Many thanks.
Yes, seals are another word for them. Unless the window is obviously loose, or it isn't closing properly, that probably isn't the problem. Without seeing the car I obviously can't form an opinion. I'd recommend trying the silicone grease; you might be surprised at the result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts