Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Supplier? From depo or sw tuning?
Neither. They may be the resellers. The company I'm working with is supposed to be paying the manufacture for the development. I will post as much information as I can as soon as he allows me too.

Here are some pictures of the clear versions install on my car.

These are PRE-PRODUCTION! They still need some refinements. I will be passing on any constructive comments from members.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Neither. They may be the resellers. The company I'm working with is supposed to be paying the manufacture for the development. I will post as much information as I can as soon as he allows me too.

Here are some pictures of the clear versions install on my car.

These are PRE-PRODUCTION! They still need some refinements. I will be passing on any constructive comments from members.

i would be interested if they have all red or smoked version. not sure about all clear but it would be good too

·
Registered
60 Posts
i would be interested if they have all red or smoked version. not sure about all clear but it would be good too

I personally wanted the red, smoked version but this is what they sent me. They thought the clear would look better on my car because of my clear side marker lights and headlights. At some point I think they are going to send a set just to review.

They are also working on a set of redesigned side vents. I have a set but they are going to need a lot of work to fix some fitment issues. I will post pictures of those when I can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is what the supplier told me about the led lights:

After consulting with my supervisor, he explains that he is not ready to jump into the forum sponsorship as of yet.

However, if you would like to let people know that we are currently working on the LED tail lights for the 05-08 PORSCHE Boxster / 987 /Cayman models that would be great. We are still unsure of the exact pricing as of yet, but we will definitely have more information as soon as the mass production version is available to us.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i like the ones posted by jat and SW, but not a fan of the clear ones posted by jerryj. so to all that have a set, how well is it fitted? any holes or fittment issues? maybe post some closeups around the edges?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
JerryJ, im a bit confused, the one posted on the first page, the one from ebay looks like a finished product, how come the 2 tail lights doesnt look the same as the 2 you posted? are they of the same manufacturer?

where are they manufacturing these tail lights? any idea how long it will take till they can come up with all red or all smoked?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i like the ones posted by jat and SW, but not a fan of the clear ones posted by jerryj. so to all that have a set, how well is it fitted? any holes or fittment issues? maybe post some closeups around the edges?
They already have at least two versions and it sounds like there maybe a third. The installation was simple (about 15 minutes), no modifications of any type, no issues with rapid flashing, no change to flasher relay. These are pre-production and the fit is not perfect but it is pretty darn close. They will have to make some minor adjustments in the stud locations to equal out the gaps between the lights and the body. I wasn't a big fan of the clear ones either but after seeing them in action and how well they work with the color scheme and style of my car I think they look really good. I went to large cruise-in tonight with about 400 cars and I had several people comment on them which has never happened before.

JerryJ, im a bit confused, the one posted on the first page, the one from ebay looks like a finished product, how come the 2 tail lights doesnt look the same as the 2 you posted? are they of the same manufacturer?

where are they manufacturing these tail lights? any idea how long it will take till they can come up with all red or all smoked?
I have no idea who is making the ones on Ebay. I know for a fact that the ones I have provided pictures for are different than the Ebay versions. I'm working with a company that has provided the manufacture with the original Cayman factory tail lights and has been working closely with them to get the tail lights to production quality. This weekend I will be gathering dimensional information and installation pictures. The pre-production part I have installed is pretty close as far as fit but they will need some tweaking. Tomorrow I will be using gauge pins to check and document the gaps between the tail lights and the body as they compare to factory lights. I would say they are 95% there! I posted the pictures without getting approval from the supplier. I don't think I'm in any trouble but they just aren't ready to release the details. I sent them a link to this post so I know they are monitoring it. I can tell you the company I'm dealing with is all about top quality products and not junk. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the back of the lights and you will see an obvious quality difference between the Ebay versions and the ones I'm evaluating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I usually don't make it my place to say something about the automotive after market community but I feel that I have to say/recommend something. Please, for the love of the all mighty, do not make a clear version of the 987 tail lights. PLEASE keep the look as classy as the car is. The first pics that were posted were great! The idea of the all read is great too, but is anyone is looking for that, you might as well buy the OEM all red tails, unless someone can use the same technology that allows the turn signals to be amber when flashing and reverse to be clear when in reverse, while incorporating LEDs for the park/brake lights and keeping the lens all red. Again, to anyone that feels that the clear, Altezza style, is your thing, I wouldn't say anything to make you feel bad about how you mod your car (maybe a little tongue in cheek), but IMHO feel that the clear ones being on a Civic...even then...:crazy:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I like the fact that there are more than 1 manufacturer, they will have to compete who has the better design, quality and price, my best pick is the smoked all red tail with led signals. Hope they come up with this one asap

·
Registered
75 Posts
For the less knowledgable of us on here can someone post a side by side comparison between these the the genuine Gen2 tail lights please ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
they should come out with a "bar" like style. Kind of like the BMW LCI models.
I agree. The light tube technique BMW uses gives a really classy look instead of some of the lights which appear to be pavé avec LEDs.

I'd like to see the non-Altezza version of the prototype lights posted recently.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
These are pre-production and the fit is not perfect but it is pretty darn close. They will have to make some minor adjustments in the stud locations to equal out the gaps between the lights and the body.

I'm working with a company that has provided the manufacture with the original Cayman factory tail lights and has been working closely with them to get the tail lights to production quality. This weekend I will be gathering dimensional information and installation pictures. The pre-production part I have installed is pretty close as far as fit but they will need some tweaking. Tomorrow I will be using gauge pins to check and document the gaps between the tail lights and the body as they compare to factory lights. I would say they are 95% there!
If the company made the original Cayman tails it would seem they wouldn't have any trouble making a 100 percent fit the first time.

The clears should work well on some colors but it will take some time for me to get used to the look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the company made the original Cayman tails it would seem they wouldn't have any trouble making a 100 percent fit the first time.
They did not make the original tail lights. They only provided a set to the manufacture who is producing the LED versions as a model.

The clears should work well on some colors but it will take some time for me to get used to the look.
The clear was definitely not my first choice but that's what they set me to evaluate. The stock tail lights looked out of place with color and other elements on my car. The clears are definitely an improvement over the stock ones. Hopefully they will send me a smoked set and I can compare them.

I've been laughing at these guys freaking out over the clear versions. The whole point of this post is to let people know that there are a couple manufactures working on voids in the aftermarket tail lights for the Cayman and Boxster. I received a email last night from the supplier telling me they are also working on versions for the 987.2.

I can't wait to hear the opinions on the gold curb feelers I going to be installing :hilarious:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jerry did you have your car at the Porsche of the village over the summer for a show?
I actually just picked up a cayman s recently. I have it down at Orrs for some body improvementS.
I just live right down the street from it ��

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jerry did you have your car at the Porsche of the village over the summer for a show?
Yes I was there for their Family Tree event. Did you see the car there? I hope there's not another apple green Cayman running around here. lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
They did not make the original tail lights. They only provided a set to the manufacture who is producing the LED versions as a model.

The clear was definitely not my first choice but that's what they set me to evaluate. The stock tail lights looked out of place with color and other elements on my car. The clears are definitely an improvement over the stock ones. Hopefully they will send me a smoked set and I can compare them.

I've been laughing at these guys freaking out over the clear versions. The whole point of this post is to let people know that there are a couple manufactures working on voids in the aftermarket tail lights for the Cayman and Boxster. I received a email last night from the supplier telling me they are also working on versions for the 987.2.

I can't wait to hear the opinions on the gold curb feelers I going to be installing :hilarious:
I don't think anyone is " freaking out" based on what I've read in this thread. First of all IMO all of these look cheap compared to the OEM Gen 2 lights but I do think the EBay ones so far look the best. I do agree that the more companies involved the better for the end-user. As far as your car, the clears match your crazy wrap and wing to a tee. I'm not a fan of any of it but who the heck cares as long as you like it. I bought a 944t as a project car and I'm seeing even nuttier schemes and dreams on those forums so maybe this will be enlightening.

41 - 60 of 651 Posts