Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

621 - 640 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Porsche 987C Cayman & 987 Boxster '05- Proj. HL on ( DP201-CH ).jpg Porsche 987C Cayman & 987 Boxster '05- Proj. HL, Black on ( DP201-B ).jpg

Here are the ones that I found on the market, and they are all for Porsche 987C Cayman & 987 Boxster 2005-2008 Car Models [
QUOTE=Boulder_Geek;1203153]I guess those nice black 997 headlights don't just pop in on a 987? It would be very cool if they did.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Almost seems like the headlights should be another thread. I could do without the DRL but love the black trim. I'd like to see pics from a distance on the car.

-Moto

·
Registered
466 Posts
$2500 for after market lights? Sounds like an awesome business plan.... I'll wait a few months until they are collecting dust on warehouse shelves which at this price they will. Even then I'll likely not buy them as they look cheap (IMO) if you look beyond the round LED tube light.
First rule of business, know your audience. Anyone who still has a 987.1 car is most likely either not wanting/able to spend the money on a newer Porsche or is simply just keeping it for a second fair weather car, and a few inexpensive upgrades aside, doesn't plan on tricking it out. It's an 8-11 year old car, in most cases worth about 4-6 times more than these lights. Hmmm, lights that cost 20-25% the value of the entire car...that sounds like a smart idea. Sounds like they really did their market analysis on this one.
For the record, I bought the Jtec LED tail, LED side markers and LED front fog assembly for my 987, but I could justify that at under $1000 for almost all the lights in the car.
Excuse my sarcasm, it just seems that these Asian countries still have the horribly outdated/inaccurate idea that the majority of US residents have massive expendable incomes, and that we are are a bunch of uneducated schmucks.
And just because someone owns a Pcar, doesn't mean they can afford to be fleeced like fools.
Get with the program.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I couldn't agree any more. Too much for too little return. I feel the same about the guys spending a fortune adding an aftermarket sound system for over 2k, while you can add a simple iPod connector for 1/4 the price.
The LED tail lights you added are simple a great update. Pimping out an old version of 10 year old car is simply crazy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The stereo thing is understandable, even if I wouldn't do it myself. I appreciate very high quality audio, but if one understands anything about acoustics, the inside of a car is hardly the ideal sound stage. Each to their own on this subject. But thank you for agreeing with my post. I know it will piss some people off, but I'm likely just saying what many are already thinking. There's this strange premium that two-bit companies feel they can add when they find out the type of car sometime has. Look at basic servicing. You need an oil change in a domestic car, $35 with a coupon. In a Porsche $275-350. It's exactly the same job. Unscrew the sump plug, drain, refill from the top. Oh wait, the extra $300 must be to remove the handful of very tricky screws that hold the extremely delicate aluminum engine cover on. Please.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is anyone able to tell which tail lights these are?

Links would be much appreciated. Also curious if they also come in regular red without the smoke tint.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to double post, but have a new question!

Are the ones from DEL REY CUSTOMS | 310.827.8121 really just JTEC's? They are local to me so it would be convenient, but $765 seems kind of outrageous. If I wanted to just buy JTEC's, where is the best place to order them? Tough to find what's what with all these different variations.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Here is on a metalic black boxster from 2005.
Just installing.
I'm very satisfied except that some led bulb are not exactly parralel between the other ( in the section of turn signal )

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

After looking at the pictures posted of the new led taillights (981 style) I'd like to get a pair as well for my 987.1 Boxster S. Has anyone who purchased them had any issues with them? Also, where would you recommend that I purchase them? It seems like Jtec is mentioned a lot in this thread, and I also saw these lights sold at revimotorwerks and on ebay. Any information would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've installed the 981 style JTECs and they're 'different' but not necessarily 'better' than my DEPO LEDs.

1. The DEPO LEDs look more OEM. They are very similar to the OEM 987.2 tail lights.
2. The JTEC fit is slightly better.
3. The DEPO workmanship is slightly better. The JTEC light strip is a bit uneven on one side of my set. It's only noticeable if you're comparing left and right.
4. I think the DEPO are a bit safer - the brake lights are brighter and cover more area vs. JTEC.
5. Conversely, the JTEC look far superior WRT the parking/running lights. The LED strip is much more visible than the single row of LEDs on the top curve of the DEPO version.
6. JTEC amber LED turn signals are far superior to DEPO incandescent bulbs.
7. Both the JTEC white LED and DEPO incandescent white reverse lights produce about the same amount of light. No functional advantage to either, it's all personal taste.

At this point I'm keeping both sets. I have the JTEC installed right now but can see possibly going back to the DEPO at some point.

621 - 640 of 651 Posts