Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

641 - 651 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've installed the 981 style JTECs and they're 'different' but not necessarily 'better' than my DEPO LEDs.

1. The DEPO LEDs look more OEM. They are very similar to the OEM 987.2 tail lights.
2. The JTEC fit is slightly better.
3. The DEPO workmanship is slightly better. The JTEC light strip is a bit uneven on one side of my set. It's only noticeable if you're comparing left and right.
4. I think the DEPO are a bit safer - the brake lights are brighter and cover more area vs. JTEC.
5. Conversely, the JTEC look far superior WRT the parking/running lights. The LED strip is much more visible than the single row of LEDs on the top curve of the DEPO version.
6. JTEC amber LED turn signals are far superior to DEPO incandescent bulbs.
7. Both the JTEC white LED and DEPO incandescent white reverse lights produce about the same amount of light. No functional advantage to either, it's all personal taste.

At this point I'm keeping both sets. I have the JTEC installed right now but can see possibly going back to the DEPO at some point.
The JTEC 981 style look and perform great - no issues at all - but I decided to go back to the DEPO because they look more OEM. I sacrifice the LED reverse and turn signals the JTEC have, but I prefer the OEM look from behind. I'll probably put the JTEC up for sale. I only had them on the car for about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They look great. Are they in development or available? I've been wanting some with sequential signals, but there aren't any in the UK that I can find (there are some in Europe).

Where do you guys get your JTEC lights from?

·
Registered
63 Posts
They look great. Are they in development or available? I've been wanting some with sequential signals, but there aren't any in the UK that I can find (there are some in Europe).

Where do you guys get your JTEC lights from?
They are available direct to UK from them at the moment will change inthe future I'm sure.
I got these sent to Uk.
You can get details from their Facebook page or pm me I can give you email of contact to order through.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just received my JTEC tail lights with sequential turn signals, and they look great. Overall very well made. I ended up purchasing them through ProTuningLab, who had them for $100 less than everyone else, and they arrived only 2 days later. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

https://www.protuninglab.com/alt-yd-p98705-led-rc.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140849294458
How does it look? I'm in the process of comparing real-world examples beyond what's on websites, leaning towards DEPOs at this point. Feedback on your experiences would also be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a set of the Dectane LED tail lights? I prefer the 987.2 style with the LED ridge alongside the top like factory 987.2 tail lights. I ordered a version of the DEPO LED tail lights on eBay and couldn't get past the fitment issue. The only places I've been able to find the Dectane tail lights seem to be on European sites offering pricing only in European currencies. If anyone knows where to source these in US market, please let me know.

If all else fails, I may consider a different style tail light, but I really want to get the style that is focused on replicating the 987.2 style in 987.1 fitment. That being said, I'm not interested in the "D" array of LEDs on the JTEC version of the tail lights since they do not have that ridge like the factory 987.2 tail lights. Something I would also be fine with would be a version of the "981 style" that has the solid smooth LED around the outer edge of the tail light, but I would prefer the reverse light and indicator lights be across the bottom which I'm sure isn't even a possibility.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a set of the Dectane LED tail lights? I prefer the 987.2 style with the LED ridge alongside the top like factory 987.2 tail lights. I ordered a version of the DEPO LED tail lights on eBay and couldn't get past the fitment issue. The only places I've been able to find the Dectane tail lights seem to be on European sites offering pricing only in European currencies. If anyone knows where to source these in US market, please let me know.

If all else fails, I may consider a different style tail light, but I really want to get the style that is focused on replicating the 987.2 style in 987.1 fitment. That being said, I'm not interested in the "D" array of LEDs on the JTEC version of the tail lights since they do not have that ridge like the factory 987.2 tail lights. Something I would also be fine with would be a version of the "981 style" that has the solid smooth LED around the outer edge of the tail light, but I would prefer the reverse light and indicator lights be across the bottom which I'm sure isn't even a possibility.
The key with the DEPO is to use 3/8” diameter rubber weather seal around the parameter. Makes a great seal and resolves fitment issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The key with the DEPO is to use 3/8” diameter rubber weather seal around the parameter. Makes a great seal and resolves fitment issues.
Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I couldn't even get it seated correctly. Looking back on it they may have wanted the OEM foam-like gasket removed, but I left it on thinking that it would cause annoying rattles if removed.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have been meaning to get these LED lights. Do they have fitment issues?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172720943196

·
Registered
11 Posts
$2500 for after market lights? Sounds like an awesome business plan.... I'll wait a few months until they are collecting dust on warehouse shelves which at this price they will. Even then I'll likely not buy them as they look cheap (IMO) if you look beyond the round LED tube light.
First rule of business, know your audience. Anyone who still has a 987.1 car is most likely either not wanting/able to spend the money on a newer Porsche or is simply just keeping it for a second fair weather car, and a few inexpensive upgrades aside, doesn't plan on tricking it out. It's an 8-11 year old car, in most cases worth about 4-6 times more than these lights. Hmmm, lights that cost 20-25% the value of the entire car...that sounds like a smart idea. Sounds like they really did their market analysis on this one.
For the record, I bought the Jtec LED tail, LED side markers and LED front fog assembly for my 987, but I could justify that at under $1000 for almost all the lights in the car.
Excuse my sarcasm, it just seems that these Asian countries still have the horribly outdated/inaccurate idea that the majority of US residents have massive expendable incomes, and that we are are a bunch of uneducated schmucks.
And just because someone owns a Pcar, doesn't mean they can afford to be fleeced like fools.
Get with the program.
Certainly seems crazy to me. I think my Boxster's worth more than $15k, but even if it was worth $40k, I still wouldn't be spending $2500 for a "halo" or "angel eyes" or whatever they call the ring around the headlights.

I suspect the reason that they charge those prices is because they are making money. If they weren't making money off of someone, they'd all be out of business. There are LOTS of folks that are more concerned with appearance than function. For $2500, my car better go faster, stop faster/better or corner faster/better. I've got HID headlights. I wouldn't mind a nice set of LED tail lights if they were OEM quality and looked and worked really well. If I'm paying $500 or more and I'm not confident that I'm getting something better than what I've already got, I'll just stick with what's already on the car. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I saw a really nice looking, fairly new, black Mercedes this morning. Whoever owned it had traced every line and seem on the car with 1/2" reflective tape. The tape wasn't always straight or parallel. It looked horrible, like something you'd see on a a pimped out 1992 Toyota Tercel, but it was probably a 2015 or newer Mercedes. I'm sure that person thought they'd given their car a visual upgrade. I guess the good news is that it didn't cost them $2500.

641 - 651 of 651 Posts