Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm finally able to place an order for a 2015 Boxster S and wanted to get some feedback on my choice of options. The Burmester package, though very pricey, is an absolute must for me, as I am a musician and huge audiophile. I have no prior experience on a track, so though I might like to give it try sometime, this car will likely be driven exclusively on the street. As such, I've opted out of most performance features.

Here's what I came up with (Porsche Code PFYV1B56):

• Manual Transmission
  • GT Silver Metallic
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels painted in Black Satin
  • Roadster Top in Black
  • Leather Interior in Black
  • Deletion of Model Designation
  • ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
  • Power Folding Side Mirrors
  • Convenience Package
  • Infotainment Package with Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
  • Power Steering Plus
  • Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
  • Multifunction Steering Wheel
  • Steering Wheel Heating
  • Seat Ventilation
  • Telephone Module

There are a few specific options I'd like some feedback on, but any general comments/recommendations would be great.

My dealer is trying to push the Sport Chrono package, but that seems really overpriced and pretty pointless on a manual that probably won't ever make it to the track. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a waste of money for me?

Another thing my dealer brought up was the multifunction steering wheel on a manual. He thinks I will find myself accidentally hitting the volume knob when moving my right hand between the shifter and wheel, and advised against it. I don't see this being a real problem and tend to drive with only one hand on the wheel anyway (my right hand usually rests on the shifter), but has anyone else encountered this?

Finally, the $0 smoking package. My dealer recommended it simply because it adds an additional power outlet; however, I kind of like the idea of the standard cup-like storage space as a temporary place for things like gas or toll receipts. Any thoughts on the usefulness of an additional outlet in this location?

Reactions: 293866

·
Registered
245 Posts
GT Silver is beautiful. I think you'll really enjoy that.

Have you driven a car without power steering plus? I personally find the extra boost at low speed disconcerting or even annoying. I didn't get that option, even on the Panamera. If you haven't tried with and without, you should.

I agree sport chrono may not make sense in your case. It makes even less sense on the GT4 that I'm trying to get, but I plan to get it anyway purely because I like the look of the clock. If that doesn't matter to you, I might pass on that option on a manual Boxster S.

I assume you know the telephone module requires its own SIM or a phone that supports the sharing of SIM?

I have the Burmester in the Pan and it's the only factory system I've ever heard that I don't feel the need to turn off within 10 minutes. It's really pretty decent, even on long trips, and IMO worth the update over the Bose. I can't listen to the Bose for anything more than news.

I think if you take your dealer's advice on the multifunction wheel, then you would also lose the heated steering wheel? Seems the heated steering wheel would be a nice thing to have in a convertible.

I'm with you on the smoking package, I actually prefer having the tray over a 3rd outlet.

Enjoy the car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Noob
843 Posts
I got the burmester too, though I feel the small size of the car's inner volume messes with the soundstage.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
You got a Boxster convertible: I think the Burmester, while nice and better than the Bose, it probably not worth it unless you drive with the roof up all the time.

Sports Chrono on a manual gives you: G-Force meter, recording and downloading of some driving and car telemetry information if you engage the mode, better transmission mounts and rev matching on downshifts in Sport+ mode. And the visual clock in the middle.

I would drop the power steering plus (not needed), and the telephone module (see appDev's comment why).

Also make sure that you keep the heated steering wheel unless you go for the Sports Design Wheel for the in my opinion better optic. But heated steering wheel in a Boxster is nice.

Since you have a Boxster: The ability to close the lid with the smoker package will keep whatever you put in there in place. If you put receipts in there, they will just wind out. Ask me how I know ;). So I would get it. It is also the most convenient place for the driver to plug in and charge a phone.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I don't get the dealer's argument against the MFSW. The volume knob is on the LEFT. How can you hit it with your RIGHT hand? The right hand knob controls the dash display. No biggie if you hit it by accident. I have the heated MFSW with PDK. Love the wheel!

I also don't like the PSP+. Test drove both ways, left it out. Don't have the smoking package, use the cubby for my key ring--I take the car key off the ring to save the ignition switch. But I don't need to plug in the phone, let it run on battery, could see the value of another outlet.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
GT Silver rocks
Also don't see issue dealer claims will occur with volume control on MF wheel: in my view MF > Sport Design wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great feedback! This forum is great.

I haven't tested the difference of PSP personally, its selection was simply on recommendation. After reading the feedback here and a few other reviews, I've decided to drop it.

I don't get the dealer's argument against the MFSW. The volume knob is on the LEFT. How can you hit it with your RIGHT hand? The right hand knob controls the dash display. No biggie if you hit it by accident. I have the heated MFSW with PDK
. Love the wheel!
It's very good to hear that MFSW won't be an issue. I'd be really disappointed if I had to cut that out.

I assume you know the telephone module requires its own SIM or a phone that supports the sharing of SIM
Thanks appDev for pointing this out. I misunderstood the telephone module for the bluetooth feature that comes with infotainment. I'll be dropping the telephone module.

The ability to close the lid with the smoker package will keep whatever you put in there in place. If you put receipts in there, they will just wind out. Ask me how I know ;). So I would get it. It is also the most convenient place for the driver to plug in and charge a phone.
This is a very good point Mike! I think I'll take the smoking package.

After a few changes I feel pretty confident in my configuration. Thanks again for all the comments. Hopefully, I'll be able to upload some photos in a few months!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Another vote for the smoking package, don't like the otherwise hole in the console. Try to drive PASM and non PASM examples before you order.

Sports Exhaust ... the ability to change the sound at the push of a button is worth every penny and I'm not an audiophile.

Reactions: Motorrader

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Agree on Steering Plus not necessarily advised. I have a decent audio ear but to be candid, there is sufficient ambient sounds that make Boxster and Cayman a delight to drive that also impact audio sound quality that you might want to think about cost/benefit/value. To be totally heretical, have you considered the PDK if you are thinking DD/traffic driving? I had the 6MT in both my 08 CS and Cayman R and never thought I would say it but much prefer the PDK in my 981 C as a DD or those times one gets stuck in the inevitable traffic from accidents where you are creeping along for an hour of non stop, stop and go. Your $s so, at the end of the day, buy what makes sense to you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Agree on Steering Plus not necessarily advised. I have a decent audio ear but to be candid, there is sufficient ambient sounds that make Boxster and Cayman a delight to drive that also impact audio sound quality that you might want to think about cost/benefit/value. To be totally heretical, have you considered the PDK if you are thinking DD/traffic driving? I had the 6MT in both my 08 CS and Cayman R and never thought I would say it but much prefer the PDK in my 981 C as a DD or those times one gets stuck in the inevitable traffic from accidents where you are creeping along for an hour of non stop, stop and go. Your $s so, at the end of the day, buy what makes sense to you.
I would ditch the power steering plus.. Audio is a matter of taste, the Bose system sounds pretty damn good for a small noisy (in a good way) cabin.

Keep in mind that PASM both makes the car ride smoother in normal setting, and has the handling benefits of firmer settings. after driving cars with and without it I am a believer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be totally heretical, have you considered the PDK?
I have. I've heard great things about it, but I don't think I could ever stray from manual. I currently have the privilege of working from home 95% of the time, so I don't expect to be sitting in traffic very often. I used to drive an hour in bad stop-and-go traffic to and from my previous employer in a manual vehicle, so I know the annoyance (and leg cramps) that can come with it. To me, its worth it.

Keep in mind that PASM
both makes the car ride smoother in normal setting, and has the handling benefits of firmer settings. after driving cars with and without it I am a believer
I'll try to compare the difference with/without PASM if I can, thanks.

Sports Exhaust
... the ability to change the sound at the push of a button is worth every penny and I'm not an audiophile.
I've heard the difference, and PSE does sound great. It's just tough to justify almost $3k for a better sounding engine. That being said, I think this is my most difficult omission right now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
PSE can be retrofitted for about 3-3.5 k . Neither pasm or ptv can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 2 cents follows. I would pass on the Burmester and SC and get the sports exhaust (PSE). I've had both a base 981 w/o SC or PSE and now a 981 GTS. The PSE is expensive but once you hear it you'll never regret the cost.

SC is nice to have (its standard on GTS) but unless you are gonna spend a lot of time on the track (I do) then it's not worth it, IMO. I find "sport plus" mode to be too aggressive for daily driving anyway.

PASM is nice to have (also standard on GTS) but the steel springs ride very well. I never put mine into "sport" mode other than on the track.

I'm not the biggest Bose fan but the new system is pretty good and if you select "linear" you'll get a much more natural sound. I'm sure the Burm is better but the car is small and noisy (its a 2-seat sports car after all) so I doubt you'll be able to hear the difference once on the move. I got the CDR upgrade that includes HD radio, the USB, upgraded screen, etc. It was $1700 plus $700 for the Bose. I think the navi sucks anyway so I was $2500 or so into a pretty good sound system. I couldnt justify spending thousands more for the Burm, but your mileage may vary.

I would add the sports steering wheel as it looks much better, IMO. Def get full leather as it improves the look at feel of the cabin to $150k levels.

I would also pass on the parking cameras as the car is so small and visibility is good. GT Silver looks great but for the cost I passed and got Rhodium Silver. I get tons of compliments on that color but be advised it has more of a blue tinge than it looks in the pics.

If you are going to be optioning up your car, you might as well spring for the GTS as it has most of the options you are considering as standard, has a little extra power, and think the GTS' nose is a little better looking.

I also did model designation delete because I don't like the look of the script under the blocky "Porsche" letters. Plus, I think it's understated cool to order higher up the range and not advertise it on the rear of the car. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey all, I'm finally able to place an order for a 2015 Boxster S and wanted to get some feedback on my choice of options. The Burmester package, though very pricey, is an absolute must for me, as I am a musician and huge audiophile. I have no prior experience on a track, so though I might like to give it try sometime, this car will likely be driven exclusively on the street. As such, I've opted out of most performance features.

Here's what I came up with (Porsche Code PFYV1B56):

• Manual Transmission
  • GT Silver Metallic
  • 20" Carrera S Wheels painted in Black Satin
  • Roadster Top in Black
  • Leather Interior in Black
  • Deletion of Model Designation
  • ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
  • Power Folding Side Mirrors
  • Convenience Package
  • Infotainment Package with Burmester High-End Surround Sound System
  • Power Steering Plus
  • Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
  • Multifunction Steering Wheel
  • Steering Wheel Heating
  • Seat Ventilation
  • Telephone Module

There are a few specific options I'd like some feedback on, but any general comments/recommendations would be great.

My dealer is trying to push the Sport Chrono package, but that seems really overpriced and pretty pointless on a manual that probably won't ever make it to the track. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a waste of money for me?

Another thing my dealer brought up was the multifunction steering wheel on a manual. He thinks I will find myself accidentally hitting the volume knob when moving my right hand between the shifter and wheel, and advised against it. I don't see this being a real problem and tend to drive with only one hand on the wheel anyway (my right hand usually rests on the shifter), but has anyone else encountered this?

Finally, the $0 smoking package. My dealer recommended it simply because it adds an additional power outlet; however, I kind of like the idea of the standard cup-like storage space as a temporary place for things like gas or toll receipts. Any thoughts on the usefulness of an additional outlet in this location?
You asked for opinions,

Quick and to the point:

Very similar build to mine.

I'm an audiophile too, which is why I didn't get the Burmester. I've learned over the years that there is no good sound in a roadster environment. It's a waste of money, IMHO, unless you plan to sit in your car in the garage to do your critical listening, which no true audiophile would do of course. I ordered Bose only to get integrated Nav but sound package plus would have been my choice otherwise. Burmester would be welcome in my home system, however.

6 mt is awesome.

SC on 6 MT not worth the money unless tracking (lap timer, sports plus to rev match) so skip it. That will help pay for the, ahem, Burmester.

Sit in the seats for an extended time to make sure they fit you. Only mistake I may have made was choosing 14 ways over 18 ways due to personal fitment. Try before you order.

Base suspension, PASM and x73 are very personal choices. If you are satisfied with base then you are set. If you want a stiffer, flatter ride then look at PASM or x73.

PSE is just noise that will compete with the Burmester. It's glorious noise though :)

Welcome to the club and P-9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We all have our own opinions. IMO, add the Convenience pkg and the PTV. You'll be sorry if u don't. Bose is good enough, but be sure to get the NAV as it is nice to have and best resale option u can add. If you are good at blipping the throttle on downshifts, you can do without Sport Chrono with the manual, especially in Sport mode. You also should take a hard look at PASM or X73. Nice to have but expensive to add later. I find my reversing camera eliminated the need for park assist, or vice versa. I really love the PSE on my 981, and i never gave a hoot about it b4 buying his one which already had it. If this is ur dream car, get what u want up front. Trading again to get something better will be expensive.
JMHO...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Agree with the others re: psp , good that you're dropping it.
SC is not going to be necessary for your intended use. Probably an option I would drop if I had it over again.
Sound like a nice build, GTA silver is beautiful. Enjoy !

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I am also an audiophile had some custom stereos in some of my old cars but they were not convertibles. Considering the huge difference in cost between the Bose and Burmester, I opted Bose for these two reasons. 1) Most of my driving is with top down, 2) wanted to hear more the beautiful music that the PSE was creating. Those two reasons was why I settled on the Bose. While not great is satisfactory. I just wanted music in the background while enjoying the Porsche GTS sound and open air cabin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just looked at your build. I ordered a Cayman S with the an almost identical option list save for color and power steering plus. I even got the 'Delete Model Designation' option. I haven't taken delivery yet (and may not because of color), but I agree with you on performance options. I stayed away from suspension options because I might already have a ground clearance issue. I went with multi-function because I use those features in my other car. Having said that, the other wheel (I think) does look better and the instruments are pretty close to the driver so I'm not sure it matters as much. That doesn't really address the button location logistics though.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
The thing about the Burmester being minimized by the convertible top make sense. However, I was thinking that an advantage over the Bose is it is designed to be capable of being played a lot louder and still sound good. So I'm wondering if top-down means the Burmester can still be heard well. In other words, the audio quality is already compromised by the wind, engine and road noise, but you can probably turn it up loud enough to still hear it without ruining the speakers. Is that a crazy way to look at this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The thing about the Burmester being minimized by the convertible top make sense. However, I was thinking that an advantage over the Bose is it is designed to be capable of being played a lot louder and still sound good. So I'm wondering if top-down means the Burmester can still be heard well. In other words, the audio quality is already compromised by the wind, engine and road noise, but you can probably turn it up loud enough to still hear it without ruining the speakers. Is that a crazy way to look at this?
Yes that's crazy. Any stereo can go up to "too loud". You need very little power to fill a cabin that size.

I have the Burmester. I enjoy knowing I have it, that there is nothing better. But if someone put the Bose setup behind my speaker grilles I would for sure never notice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts