Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I got the case halves back from LN last week, and I've had my heads back from Hoffmans for over a month, but now I'm waiting on backordered parts to come in. Specifically, LN's K1 connecting rods, and some ARP bolts for the bearing carrier. I didn't anticipate them being hard to get, so I didn't order them until my right before my case was done. :rolleyes: Estimates for delivery are only a few weeks, so hopefully that proves true. Then I need to get the rotating assembly balanced, which is going to be another three week wait, according to the shop doing it. Then I can finally put this thing back together. It feels like I'm never going to get going. Oh well. I've been keeping busy with smaller projects, in the mean time. I got the the center console and door trim pieces stripped of the soft touch rubber and painted, I'm super happy with how those came out. I installed a new head unit, replaced the worn a/c buttons and painted the face plates. And I installed a Numeric shifter with cables and made a trim piece to replace the shift boot.

I used a paint stripper called Citristrip to strip the rubber coating off of the trim pieces. It worked fantastic. I initially was just using alcohol and a scoring pad, which was working fine for the larger flat areas, but I never would have been able to get in the tighter areas effectively. So I looked around at how others had done it and found a forum post (I think Rennlist) where someone used Citristrip. I sprayed it on, and then hit it with a pressure washer and everything came right off. You don't even need the pressure washer, really. A regular sprayer would have worked fine.
Aluminum can Wood Tin Tin can Gas

Natural material Rectangle Creative arts Electric blue Tints and shades

Tool Hood Musical instrument accessory Utility knife Guitar accessory

Hood Wood Bumper Tool Automotive exterior

As you can see, the stripper left the surface discolored, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything otherwise. You could sand down to black again, if you really wanted to. The surface was smooth and hard though, so I just hit it with a roughing pad and sprayed it with primer. Everything seems fine so far. After some more sanding and priming, I sprayed it black and cleared it with SprayMax 2k gloss clear. I can't recommend this stuff enough; it works great for small projects like this.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Flooring

Wood Automotive exterior Office equipment Hardwood Luggage and bags

If you open the full size pictures, it looks like there's a ton of orange peel, but it doesn't look anything like that in person. It's really smooth. I thought I was going to be wet sanding and polishing after I painted it, but the clear laid down so good I didn't need to.
Next I need to fix the sagging headliner and replace the passenger window regulator. Hopefully that stuff will be here this weekend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nearly a year later and I finally have everything. I had to give up on the ARP bolts and just go with stock, but at least I got the K1 rods in from LN Engineering. Here it is at the end of the first day of the engine build. Hopefully I can get it together this weekend and put in the car in the coming week or so.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Engineering

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I dont think I ever noticed, did you end up going with the 3.8 or staying 3.4?
3.8. I figured if I'm doing all this work, I might as well upgrade. Overall, there's very little price difference between doing a 3.4 vs 3.8 when going this route. You have to use custom head gaskets, which are $350 vs about $80 for stock. And LN recommends using upgraded rods, so that adds 1k-2k depending on what you get, but they also say it's not strictly necessary if you're not planning to track it. My rod bushings had a little bit of play, and changing them would have been a significant enough cost that I just opted to go with k1 rods for a little more.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,966 Posts
3.8. I figured if I'm doing all this work, I might as well upgrade. Overall, there's very little price difference between doing a 3.4 vs 3.8 when going this route. You have to use custom head gaskets, which are $350 vs about $80 for stock. And LN recommends using upgraded rods, so that adds 1k-2k depending on what you get, but they also say it's not strictly necessary if you're not planning to track it. My rod bushings had a little bit of play, and changing them would have been a significant enough cost that I just opted to go with k1 rods for a little more.
Your correct it’s not a lot more. Are you building all this yourself? Done it before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your correct it’s not a lot more. Are you building all this yourself? Done it before?
I've done engine work before, but never a Porsche build. I'm doing everything myself following along with Jake Raby's videos. They're pricey, but worth every penny and have made it a breeze so far. I'm going to be doing the bank two pistons today though, so that's intimidating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome!

I have buddies that own a shop and have done a couple of these 3.8 conversions. I've talked to them about doing this to my .2 when I decided I want a little more umph, and have a year to spare waiting on LN, LOL

Looking forward to seeing/hearing your impressions!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Awesome!

I have buddies that own a shop and have done a couple of these 3.8 conversions. I've talked to them about doing this to my .2 when I decided I want a little more umph, and have a year to spare waiting on LN, LOL

Looking forward to seeing/hearing your impressions!
Mine has the 3.8 upgrade… it’s noticeable but not a$ much as you’d think. All up high rpm range, but as stated why not just do it right given the investment

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thats a healthy bump in power, maybe not what you would typically get for $20k, but where/how I drive, that extra bit would be nice up high in the RPM band
It was a bump but I was reflashed/headers and exhaust before that… maybe 320hp at the most… so it’s certainly better but not quite GT4… although it still hangs with them

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It was a bump but I was reflashed/headers and exhaust before that… maybe 320hp at the most… so it’s certainly better but not quite GT4… although it still hangs with them
That's basically what I figured it would be. A roughly 10% increase in displacement for roughly 10% more horsepower. Later I might add headers, exhaust, and a tune and such to really open it up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A little slower progress today. It doesn't look like much happened, but I got the bank one pistons in which ended up taking a lot longer than I anticipated. My ring gaps were all really tight so they all needed to be filed down. That took a long time. Then I spent a while cleaning parts that I should have cleaned while I was waiting around for parts with nothing to do. ¯\(ツ)/¯ Now I'm ready to put bank two on tomorrow.
Gas Engineering Auto part Machine Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That's basically what I figured it would be. A roughly 10% increase in displacement for roughly 10% more horsepower. Later I might add headers, exhaust, and a tune and such to really open it up.
Well if you consider a 997 is around 355hp, that’s not a bad place to be… if I were doing a swap, I’d stick a 991 Carrera S motor in…

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a short block! And it only took three tries. I botched the first piston pin clip install, so I had to take it all apart and try again. After putting it all back together, I turned around and saw the coolant pass-through seals sitting on my work bench. 😲 So back apart it came. Third time's a charm, though, and it all went together without a hitch. It's been slow going, I got sick, and I didn't get to work as much this weekend as I wanted, but it's getting there.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Jeez. Sometimes you just can't win. :rolleyes: It's finally the weekend and I'm expecting to get this thing finished up today when I start putting the bank 2 head on and pull this guy out of the package. Guess it's another week down while I wait for parts again.
White Black Line Font Office supplies

21 - 40 of 45 Posts