Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Like the title says, I did this last night and today. Used my newly acquired Race Ramp and Wheel Cribs and they worked very well. Tons of room under the car with eight inches of lift.

I did the drain last night about 1900 and did the fill this morning about 0800 for a 12+ hour drip.

My owner's manual says a fill with oil and filter change is 7.92 quarts. I measured the drained oil and it was in the 8.5-8.75 quart range.

For the fill I added a tad under eight quarts and took it for a drive and measure. It came back a bar low so I added 4-5 ounces at a time (took four times) to get it to full. The total oil added was eight qts., 11 ozs.

My Cayman has 18,500 miles and the oil was changed by the PO in Oct. '13 at 13,450 miles with M1 0w40. I used the same oil this time.

I also captured a sample for UOA and it is on its way. I'll update this thread once I receive the results.

Lastly, I used the filter wrench cap (74-76mm, flute 14) from O'Reilly and decided I do not like the way it fit (too much movement; like a slightly too big socket) so I'm going to purchase a Porsche filter wrench. The $25 premium is worth it IMO.

Eddie

P.S. Online Porsche docs and my owner's manual say OCI is 1 year or 10,000 miles, yet the service reminder reset tonight says 2 year or 20,000 miles. Anyone know why the discrepancy?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the details! I also have a 2009 Cayman with strangely the exact same amount of miles! What color is yours?

I usually take mine to an indy but I might start doing them myself next year. My one year schedule is usually November since I store her in the winter... which is happening really soon.

Do you have a Durametric to reset the service? Mine also says 2 year or 20k...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You're welcome.

Mine is Guards Red.

It only cost me $40 in parts for my oil change as my time is free. I found some great deals on filters (on this web site) and oil.

I suggest you do the work yourself if at all possible. Nobody will ever work on your car wit the same care and attention to detail you will. This is especially true for easy maintenance items like an oil change or brakes. But I also understand it is not always possible for one to DIY with life's responsibilities, suitable work area/tools or just not wanting to deal with it.

I purchased a refurb Durametric. Looks new, works like a champ and saved me about $70 IIRC. I'm going to dig deeper into the oil service discrepancy I mentioned and will post an update should I anything.

Long cold wintahs and the cost of living are why we left the fine state of Mass. We lived in Sudbury and I still have family, and many friends, in the area.

Let me know if you any any questions.

Good luck,

Eddie

Thanks for the details! I also have a 2009 Cayman with strangely the exact same amount of miles! What color is yours?

I usually take mine to an indy but I might start doing them myself next year. My one year schedule is usually November since I store her in the winter... which is happening really soon.

Do you have a Durametric to reset the service? Mine also says 2 year or 20k...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Changed mine for the first time myself on my 2009 cayman today. The tech who did the 40K mile service last year must have seriously over torqued the drain plug and filter housing - had to use a break bar on both. Everything buttoned up fine, will put in the oil tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The tech who did the 40K mile service last year must have seriously over torqued the drain plug and filter housing - had to use a break bar on both.
Yes, it's easy to overtighten things, especially the drain plug. I learned awhile ago to have a spare drain plug on hand in case the one on the car seems a bit worn from too much torque. They are inexpensive, even the magnetic type which is what I have gone to in my cars.
As far as the filter housing, it is best to install it with a torque wrench, but if you don't have one handy, just hand-tightening the housing is about the right amount of torque needed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Spokayman - thanks, yes I torqued everything: 37 lbs for the drain plug; and 19 lbs for the filter housing. Good idea to pickup an extra drain plug.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Get the LN anodized aluminum plug for like $30. It can be sourced from Suncoast. It's not soft aluminum like the OEM plug.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello All,

Posting my UOA. Looks good and TBN is plenty high at 5.7. No huge surprise given the miles on the oil is only 5,100. This only tells me an OCI > 10,000 miles can safely be done.

Eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All,

Was not sure of a suitable place to post this so here seems as good as any.

This is my UOA with 9,500 miles and no track days. No issues reported and all values in spec.

My next change will probably have at least a couple tracks so my OCI will probably be lower and with another UOA.

Eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just performed an oil change today and I'll be posting my UOA as well. I ran this oil for 4441 miles and at the last oil change my indy used a magnetic drain plug. I have some fuzz... any ideas?
Also I ordered the oil filter from rockauto and they sent me the OX 366D. On the website it says it's the ECO and it does say that on the box but the opening is smaller than the one I pulled out... thoughts? Right now my car is on ramps with it's end sticking out of the garage until I head to the dealer tomorrow to get the right filter...https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43151589/pix/IMG_20151115_122936.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the fuzz magnetic? It may not be.

Too bad about the filter. I would make sure rockauto.com is aware the problems their mistake caused and that you expect some reasonable compensation, but not more incorrect filters. :)

Good luck,

Eddie

I just performed an oil change today and I'll be posting my UOA as well. I ran this oil for 4441 miles and at the last oil change my indy used a magnetic drain plug. I have some fuzz... any ideas?
Also I ordered the oil filter from rockauto and they sent me the OX 366D. On the website it says it's the ECO and it does say that on the box but the opening is smaller than the one I pulled out... thoughts? Right now my car is on ramps with it's end sticking out of the garage until I head to the dealer tomorrow to get the right filter...https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43151589/pix/IMG_20151115_122936.jpg

·
Registered
532 Posts
The filter is correct. When you install, the opening enlarges & curls in.
Check the filter you removed & you will see how it conforms.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried to force the end in the filter housing and just kept pressing down. Maybe i didn't push down hard enough. I looked at the plastic roll in the middle and the entire thing seems small. I'll check it when I get home again. I just wasn't sure what was happening.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That did it. Wow do I feel stupid... I worked with lights and finally finished at 11pm after I got home from dinner. Glad that was finished. It'll be much easier next time. Thank you so much for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Comment on magnetic drain plug. I'm thinking of purchasing for my 2011 Boxster S. My understanding is that because the plug is made out of steel it should be torque to a lower value? Maybe half the Porsche spec. Can anyone confirm? Not sure if this is addressed in installation directions from manufacture?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Comment on magnetic drain plug. I'm thinking of purchasing for my 2011 Boxster S. My understanding is that because the plug is made out of steel it should be torque to a lower value? Maybe half the Porsche spec. Can anyone confirm? Not sure if this is addressed in installation directions from manufacture?
Are you sure the magnetic drain plug is steel?
The ones I bought are aluminum. There is a steel magnet in the center of the plug, but the plug body and threads are aluminum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts