Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I share my first experience at detailing. Would love to hear feedback and suggestions.

I use a 200 psi power washer with Chemical Guy's foam canon. Minimum scrubbing to prevent scratches with two bucket method. Couple of beach towels later, she's spotless and ready for claying. Wolfgang sealant and 2 coat of Mothers wax. Matte sealant for wheels and CG tire dressing. I haven't done anything for the interior except Swiffer dusters. Can someone recommend products for an espresso leather interior.

Pictures.

mKDdg7d.jpg

XB264TV.jpg

OiWBE1K.jpg

i9t5CYf.jpg

jBXUSBS.jpg

3TFpdzs.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thought I share my first experience at detailing. Would love to hear feedback and suggestions.

I use a 200 psi power washer with Chemical Guy's foam canon. Minimum scrubbing to prevent scratches with two bucket method. Couple of beach towels later, she's spotless and ready for claying. Wolfgang sealant and 2 coat of Mothers wax. Matte sealant for wheels and CG tire dressing. I haven't done anything for the interior except Swiffer dusters. Can someone recommend products for an espresso leather interior.
Car looks great. I've never thought of using any sort of heavy duty pressure wash (as in the types of pressure I'd use to remove mold and impacted grit on a driveway) and I do use a dedicated car sponge but otherwise those are very similar products to what I use. Claying paint is amazing at restoring paint but I'd say its a annual or maybe even every two year sort of thing (though in fairness I don't drive my car daily, so clearly more often if the car is in the elements more).

I've used Meguiars Leather Wipes on my cars leather. I've tried more complicated two stage clean/treat systems and have not been convinced the results are worth the additional effort. Clearly the Concours d'Elegance guys would appreciate these subtle care differences more than a layman like me. I do use the wipes on the leather dash as well, just avoid the steering wheel and shift lever as they do make the leather more slick feeling.

·
Registered
513 Posts
While the high pressure wash sounds like a good idea, the negative side is that drying with beach towels IMHO risks dragging grime across your perfect paint. I also think high pressure washing does not get off all the tough grime that may stick. I am a proponent of the two bucket method. I also use a foam gun to apply suds besides the bucket with the same sudsy soap in it. The other bucket is of course the clean rinse water. Drying is via leaf blower. But your question was about the espresso leather care. I have that leather, and I am using separate bottles of Mothers leather cleaner and leather conditioner. I tried Lexol first and think it leaves lots of streaking. Also using Sonus cockpit detailer on the dash areas. That is my experience. Others will have more opinions, lol.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I started using the Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and conditioner recently and have been extremely satisfied with the results. In the past, I've used the Meguair's leather conditioner and Mother's VLR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll look into Chemical Guys leather cleaner since I've been happy with their other products (especially the microfiber towels :) ). How often do you clean/condition the leather? The pressure washer is used exclusively with the foam canon. If I'm not careful, it can take the paint right off.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use the leather cleaner and conditioner. I used both only once, but planning on using it only 3-4 times a year. Also, try Adams detail spray before drying the car. It works wonders...

I'll look into Chemical Guys leather cleaner since I've been happy with their other products (especially the microfiber towels :) ). How often do you clean/condition the leather? The pressure washer is used exclusively with the foam canon. If I'm not careful, it can take the paint right off.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I would be careful with that PSI level on your power washer. I can't imagine anything more that two figures. I am not a fan at all of high-pressure wash. To much potential damage to paint, trim, plastic....plus the (minor) risk of pushing water someplace it's not supposed to be.

I am a big Griot's fan and pretty much any car-care product that touches my car is their brand. Their latest 3 in 1 Leather care is very good as is their general Interior Cleaner product....used prior to the leather care.

I clay my car at least 4 times per year. I always end up with a very dirty clay bar, and I drive my car very little...so it seems worth it. I clean my leather monthly.

Nice job and beautiful car. Your interior leather color is spectacular.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
My once a year routine:

dawn dish soap to remove old wax layers, clay bar with Meguiars detailer, rinse with distillerd water, no minerals on paint, dry car with blower and go over with synthetic chamois, once perfectly dry, Klasses All In One sealer polish, followed by Klasse sealer........let that dry over night, next morning another coat of The Klasse sealer, let that dry and I follow up with one coat of PS 21 100% Carnauba wax.

Weekly (once or twice depending on weather or dirt build up) wash car with Meguiars car soap with wax, blow dry....touch up with chamois if needed.

Every four weeks, coat with PS21.

My car is a daily driver with 43K+ miles, no door dings, small chips always painted in with number 2 brush and Porsche paint.
There's no fade on my paint, no one can believe it's four years old. My car always has a wet glossy look.

Interior leather I only recommend this: Gliptone leather conditioner and cleaner, my seats have no creases after 43K miles, my steering wheel looks brand new, this stuff gets into the leather, doesn't sit on top. And it smells like Jaguars and Bentleys of years past, like Connolly hides! Amazing!

Oh and I clean and wash my wheels with dawn then apply spray wax on small towel and coat my wheels and calipers, makes washing the dust off the next time super easy.
http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

·
Registered
642 Posts
I use the chemical guys leather cleaner whenever I feel my steering wheel and seats are getting a little oily from too much skin contacts. So I guess I clean maybe 2 a month.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Interior leather I only recommend this: Gliptone leather conditioner and cleaner, my seats have no creases after 43K miles, my steering wheel looks brand new, this stuff gets into the leather, doesn't sit on top. And it smells like Jaguars and Bentleys of years past, like Connolly hides! Amazing!
l

Thanks for that. That product sounds interesting. Have to give it a go.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
If you like that English leather smell of old Jags, Rolls and Bentleys, this is the stuff. Been using it since I got car, I used Lexol in my other cars when Lexol was the only good thing around....... Nothing touches my hides except this stuff. Not greasy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I see you already have some wolfgang product, they make a leather cleaner and a cockpit sealant. Both work well. I have the agate grey/pebble grey interior and the lighter pebble grey stays pretty clean with the wolfgang cockpit sealer on it. Id also second what was mentioned above, get an inexpensive leaf blower and some waffle weave towels to dry the car. I personally use the Adams white waffle weave towels to dry.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Forgot this: south Florida is hell on cars, specially headlights, they'll start fogging up within three years if your car spends anytime outside, I use Wolfgang Plastik sealer/protector, keeps your headlights from turning opaque. Freakishly, my wife's Volvo headlights look brand new, they've never been treated with anything, I wonder what Volvo puts in their plastic..............

I get my Wolgang at Auogeek
PS 21 100% carnauba at Amazon
Meguiars at Pep Boys
Gliptone liquidLeather from the UK site

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I clay my car at least 4 times per year. I always end up with a very dirty clay bar, and I drive my car very little...so it seems worth it. I clean my leather monthly.
If you drive your car very little invest in a good car cover. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I take different approach on my 14BS. I had it coated with Opti Coat Pro and use the Optimum No Rinse wash. The ceramic polymer sealant truly does repel dirt. I hate my car to be dirty but I also don't like to spend much time cleaning it. It is a DD. I can wash my car in my garage at 9pm, and its quick easy and no swirls.

What I have not figured out is how to deal with the SS xhausts Help.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
suggest you start using 600gsm towels or better.. great way to start those swirls marks with the towels you used.. the worse ones are the costco microfiber onces..

if you want to learn.. look in to some concourse events sponsored by the PCA..

btw.. I am a PCA concourse judge and the wife is also a judge..

Lemon

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Looks good, I don't use anything on my leather except a damp microfiber cloth. My previous roadster's interior looks brand new after 8 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts